ESL Diaphragm coating - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Planars & Exotics

Planars & Exotics ESL's, planars, and alternative technologies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2009, 06:59 AM   #91
diyAudio Member

Hi MJ,

are you still producing your EC coating? (I heard from someone that you stopped selling it??).

How would you go about making a 'modern' DIY coating with a resistance of about 1E10-1E11? Do you think it's possible?
Old 15th July 2009, 07:25 AM   #92
Kontra is offline Kontra  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Kontra Send a message via Skype™ to Kontra
Default 1E10-1E11

Yesssss!
I too want such cooating!
1E10 - super well!
Old 15th July 2009, 08:09 AM   #93
diyAudio Member

Well, I have never called it the Karud coating, because it was a Diy product, not intended for commercial use. I did send a 1.5 liter bottle to
the Netherlands, but I do not know if this was distributed from there.
Old 15th July 2009, 08:47 AM   #94
diyAudio Member

I sent free samples to folks in order to get an opinon on how they thought it worked, but received very few answers.

The ones I did get were very positive about the coating, and I did not receive any bad judgements, not one!

I have speakers in my living room that have this coating, which now has played for 4,5 years.

These speakers are by the way built in a special manner for testing different coatings and has detachable stators held in place with magnet strips. I have been told that this arrangement is patentable but I can take some photos if anyone is interested.
Old 15th July 2009, 09:19 AM   #95
diyAudio Member

Hi JonasKarud,

Please take a few pictures to show us how the arrangement looks like. I'm very interested to see.

Wachara
Old 15th July 2009, 10:52 AM   #96
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Surface treatment:

I got a couple of emails about this; I admit that I used a large commercial unit, since I had one at work. How to do this at home?

Here's a relatively inexpensive way to do it. First, browse through this site:

http://www.electrotechnicproduct.com/

They have a handheld corona treater for about $450 (BD-20, but similar units can be found for about $350). But wait! They also have a pinhole detector, the BD-10 for $176. It's pretty easy to rig up the coat-hanger electrode of the '20 and fit it onto the '10- the electrodes are replaceable and slip in and out pretty easily.

If you're a true cheapskate, it would be a nice afternoon project to rig up a Tesla coil of your own- I might be tempted to do it out of some of the critical parts that Electro Technic sells.

Otherwise, I'd find two or three other people who want to play with ESLs and split the cost.
Old 15th July 2009, 11:43 AM   #97
diyAudio Member

Default Photos

Here's link to some photos and comments on my Esl speakers.

If you have any ideas on improving these speakers, please let me know.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jkarud
Old 15th July 2009, 12:19 PM   #98
diyAudio Member

Hi Jonas,

great work!
How does it sound?
What distance plate to membrane
have you found out to be good at what voltages?

Please, tell us all about it!

Thanks,
Frank
Old 15th July 2009, 12:32 PM   #99
diyAudio Member

There is some very innovative stuff in there! Or at least stuff I had not seen before. I like the tension adjuster idea - very cool. The magnetic fixation of the stator is also very clever indeed. I'm not convinced of the drive signal derived polarizing voltage though, or did you find a way to achieve constant charge?

Did you find any disadvantage of hanging the stators on the film?
Old 15th July 2009, 01:37 PM   #100
diyAudio Member

The stator/ film distance is 2.5 mm. The input via 2 Mohm to the 10-step voltage doubler is restricted by a 230 volt varistor:

https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~eu_en/b2b/...do?tab=catalog

I think that one very important component is the high voltage rectifier diodes on ladder output, preventing the charge from going back from speaker to ladder at very low level listening.

When you start up the music, it takes 5-6 seconds before the speaker is charged up and it seem to keep this charge as long as you play some music at low to normal levels. When music is turned off, the charge disappears in about 10 to 30 minutes, this seem to depend on humidity.

At least I'm very happy with with this arrangement and will never ever connect my future speaker to the mains!

The sound, yes, hard to tell, maybe a bit like bigger Audiostatics.

The stators do not wrinkle the 12 my mylar membran thanks to the tape
on membrane sides and the resting pillars in form of small plexi blocks.

One funny thing is the dividing of the membrane into four fields, quite similar to Martin L model CLX. I made my speaker many years before ML!

Hide this!Advertise here!