After 10 years, starting with my first ESL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Very Nice Chris!!!

Currently I have been using some 5 1/4" Sony woofers that I have laying around in a sealed box with very good results.
But a 6 1/2" would be even better as the smaller ones run out of excursion below about 50hz when cranked up too and much past 95db.

But in nearfield at about 90db is good but the woofers do reach their limits (about 4mm to 6mm peak) at 40hz, But they still sound good.

It all depends on how loud you like to play them and how much of a low frequency extension you desire.

If set up right, a panel that size will even compete nicely with a good 8" sub providing it is EQed to be flat.

I will be mating my next size of 18" long panels with a pair of 8"er's that I do have.

Typically the woofers run out of Xmax before the panel runs out of SPL's and even more so with a bigger panel.

I have been trying to come up with a Sub system that would look nice with such a small sized panel and still be compact, But it is a bit of a challenge as bass needs space (displacement)!!

A highly dampened open back (aperiodic type) enclosure is one that I have been thinking about trying next.

I have thought about a small displacement but long TL enclosure as well like the Bose Wave System, But the simulator programs are not accurate for such small box displacements.

The first time I demo'd them (mono with one biamped setup) to anyone I was using an 8" sub and they were nothing short of amazing.
I used all types of music from Boston to Kansas to Queen and Big band sounds, All excellent!!!
It happened to be the first time I had got them running again after 7 years of silence back in 2010.
The picture of the setup is in one of the links I provided earlier.

According to the calculators and simulations I have done, I think that they could benefit very much so from electrical segmentation.
That was the whole reason behind my new design, only I haven't gotten the required resistors yet.

My plan was to use resistors (partially) and then also use active filtering as needed.
This would help to save on the power ratings of the resistors as 1.5 watt 10Kv resistors are in the $3 to $4 range each.
So, I am still working on that part and I have used Circuitmaker (spice) inorder to calculate their power requirements.
Otherwise, I was very content as to how they performed as they were for just listening on my desktop.

In fact I was up all last night thinking about wanting to get them finished !!! He,he,he,he

A paralleled chipamp and crossover/preamp system is next on my things to do list.

Not sure how shipping would weigh out for you but Parts express as a killer deal on some 5" to 6 1/2" woofers right now!!

6-1/2" Poly Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 299-609

Speaker Buyouts in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 3380

jer :)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the answers!
In the meantime I have build another panel, just for training :)
Sound is good, coating works good (thanks Jan), sound is ähm....colorfull:D
Jer and all the others, indeed I have some more questions

- I will build bigger Panels in the future but I don´t want to waste these small panels, so I need a kind of woofer to mate with them. I have no possibility to measure my panels and most information about woofers and subwoofers in this forum are about much bigger ESLs, so what to try? I would use these speakers just for casual listening... I am looking for a cheap solution, I will spend my money with the upcomming bigger panels
- Second, could electrical segmentation help to "optimize" theses little panels?
Thanks a lot,

Christoph

looking nice! i like the pencils :) nice small little panel. well semgentation use it if you think it beams to much but have some dB to spare. with ur design its incredible easy to segment the panel. you just solder the wires that are going to be grouped together ad resistor and you got urself a sigment. look for esl_seg_ui on this forum its a really nice tool to calculate you sigments.i think theres an english versoin around here as well.

one thing you need to know the default setup is first high frequency wires (in the middle) then mid frequency to the sides of the High frequency and then the low freq to the sides of the mid frequency sigment.

took me some time to figure that out , thought what a weird way of counting wires, total wires where never the amount of the given wires per sigment all together :)

The highs are counted only once , the rest mid and low are times 2 :) because they flank the high sigment

Very Nice Chris!!!

Currently I have been using some 5 1/4" Sony woofers that I have laying around in a sealed box with very good results.
But a 6 1/2" would be even better as the smaller ones run out of excursion below about 50hz when cranked up too and much past 95db.

But in nearfield at about 90db is good but the woofers do reach their limits (about 4mm to 6mm peak) at 40hz, But they still sound good.

It all depends on how loud you like to play them and how much of a low frequency extension you desire.

If set up right, a panel that size will even compete nicely with a good 8" sub providing it is EQed to be flat.

I will be mating my next size of 18" long panels with a pair of 8"er's that I do have.

Typically the woofers run out of Xmax before the panel runs out of SPL's and even more so with a bigger panel.

I have been trying to come up with a Sub system that would look nice with such a small sized panel and still be compact, But it is a bit of a challenge as bass needs space (displacement)!!

A highly dampened open back (aperiodic type) enclosure is one that I have been thinking about trying next.

I have thought about a small displacement but long TL enclosure as well like the Bose Wave System, But the simulator programs are not accurate for such small box displacements.

The first time I demo'd them (mono with one biamped setup) to anyone I was using an 8" sub and they were nothing short of amazing.
I used all types of music from Boston to Kansas to Queen and Big band sounds, All excellent!!!
It happened to be the first time I had got them running again after 7 years of silence back in 2010.
The picture of the setup is in one of the links I provided earlier.

According to the calculators and simulations I have done, I think that they could benefit very much so from electrical segmentation.
That was the whole reason behind my new design, only I haven't gotten the required resistors yet.

My plan was to use resistors (partially) and then also use active filtering as needed.
This would help to save on the power ratings of the resistors as 1.5 watt 10Kv resistors are in the $3 to $4 range each.
So, I am still working on that part and I have used Circuitmaker (spice) inorder to calculate their power requirements.
Otherwise, I was very content as to how they performed as they were for just listening on my desktop.

In fact I was up all last night thinking about wanting to get them finished !!! He,he,he,he

A paralleled chipamp and crossover/preamp system is next on my things to do list.

Not sure how shipping would weigh out for you but Parts express as a killer deal on some 5" to 6 1/2" woofers right now!!

6-1/2" Poly Cone Woofer 4 Ohm 299-609

Speaker Buyouts in the Speaker Components Department at Parts Express | 3380

jer :)

ooh lord why do i live here and not there.. 4 dollar for a bass driver :) haha

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.