Planar speaker - first try

Am rebuilding a double diaphragm design at the moment, it wasn't very sensitive, and I did use 100 um polyester. I'm glad I use 12 um now, makes a big difference.Laying in bed this morning thinking about the design of my new project, building a very baby grand piano shape speaker using small neos. Especially for playing solo piano music. Will only need one as the piano is not in stereo. The sun is shining, so I had better get outside and cut some more MDF. BEFORE IT RAINS.

REPAIR TO BROKEN 3 MM TAPE ON DIAPHRAGM

First picture shows where I broke the tape, and I have put tape for penny washer. 2nd pic shows penny washer in position with wood surround for holding diaphragm in tight and correct position. 3rd pic shows diaphragm fixed. 4th pic shows other penny washer for connection of the back resistor. You can see the other penny washer for other back connection top right.5th pic shows it standing up on feet, although not quite finished. Final imp is 4.2 and 6.4 ohms for my ONKYO Amp. 6th pic another view on the dining table. Rebuilt these speakers from poor push pull design using 4.5 mm wide tape and 100 um polyester diaphragm material. A big improvement all round.

Attachments

• SAM_0436.JPG
    SAM_0436.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 511
  • SAM_0437.jpg
    SAM_0437.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 487
  • SAM_0438.JPG
    SAM_0438.JPG
    436.9 KB · Views: 460
  • SAM_0439.JPG
    SAM_0439.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 449
  • SAM_0444.JPG
    SAM_0444.JPG
    390.3 KB · Views: 429
  • SAM_0445.JPG
    SAM_0445.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 236
Henry - Bose only have 2 successful products & 1 of those is out of production!!! - from what i see here you have at least 15!!!

Wow what a great site!

Hi Everyone... & greetings from a damp north somerset

Been reading through the posts over the last few days - and have been considering building some planers for quite a few years now -

have a few questions / ideas:-

Magnets - the self adhesive type (plastiform) seem to have n&s poles running along the length - would there be an advantage to running a conductor between these as well as the gaps between the magnets?

And - could the field strength be increased by doubling up ? (one strip on top of another)

Foil - Aluminium or copper ? (for the above i guess you would need <2mm) copper, i guess would be easier to work with but is the extra mass a problem?

Diaphragm - Mylar seems to be the obvious choice - how tight ? i have an idea for a sandwich design that would tension the Mylar as the 2 half's of the frame was bolted together - you can then shrink another 2% with heat (same as the esl boys do)
- the Mylar would be tensioned before the "voice coil" is attached.

I had thought of using aluminised Mylar & etching the conductors on this - anyone tried this? (either diy or commercially ) - I've dismissed it on the fact that the aluminium is only a few atoms thick and would probably O/C as soon as you passed any real current through it

Sorry to wade in with so much on my first post - but this site has really got me wanting to get started !!

Steve

Last edited: