PIEZO NXT type panel

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Aluminium decays much faster. I've tried adding the mass to monomorph brass plate and piezo plate but got contraction result to what I have wrote :(

Mass on piezo plate == higher modal density, higher first mode
Mass on brass plate == 6db louder

Today I phoned an old mechanical science professor who developed models for Stradivarius type violins and built prototype in 1985. There are two ways of lowering internal damping in wood: cold stretching and chemical modification.

Attachments

• dml-csd.gif
    dml-csd.gif
    12.9 KB · Views: 703
Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Going off subject here a bit : in my last post, I accused my receiver of possible lack of highs.

I did a blind test with the help of a friend last night and we both eventually agreed that the receiver was not lacking in highs at all.
In fact, it had better highs than a homemade 300B valve amplifier with silver wired transformers !!

So, I take it all back (again!!!:xeye: ::confused: ).......be careful when you evaluate or ''think'' that you are evaluating sources. It can be very tricky:mad:

Of interest also was the Pioneer's sensitivity to interconnects - vastly preferring solid core copper wire to stranded. That was not my imagination!.........fantastic highs from the panels.

This hobby is really ******* me off!!!:mad:

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Mor den Siur, your attached image is so small it's useless(as is your posting).............CHOLERA!!!!!!(Polish swear word)

If it attempts to show distortion figures, on/of what?........DML's vary immensely in their design and construction, size, panel material and the way they are implemented : true NXT style or the Podium Loudspeaker approach etc.

Do us all a favor and read up on this technology so that you are aware of what it's all about before posting a meaningless distortion waterfall response.

I can happily say that I have built the real thing and am listening to it every day, loving every minute of it. That does not sound like a very high distortion loudspeaker does it?:rolleyes:

jzagaja, ....interesting. The sound of brass and voice is very natural on my panels. Piano is incredible, tympani, drums : very scary:hot:

jzagaja, ....interesting. The sound of brass and voice is very natural on my panels. Piano is incredible, tympani, drums : very scary

Maybe I'm wrong, willing to see BMR waterfall and built a good model. What I have now is an unbalanced 10 piezo element DML. Best way is to record instrument outdoors and play through DML in a reverberant room so you can really compare the real thing. The opinion comes from prof. Farina who has auditioned Opere Sonore and NXT. I'm afraid that longer decay is considered as highly detailed speaker.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
el'OL, as I have discovered and somehow tried to make evident in my last posts is that the panels are very much dependant on your source components in the audio chain.

I have recordings that have acceptable highs when played on a particular amplifier/speaker combination. The panels indicate that this same recording has highs that are totally ****. This has been confirmed with other people's systems(some had lousy highs, some had o.k highs).

The way you position the panels and the size and dampening of your listening room will affect the highs.

On occasion, I have heard CD's and FM broadcasts that had what appeared to be exaggerated highs!........go figure

:xeye: So to answer your question - yes, I am satisfied with the highs. They are presented to you very differently depending on a few factors mentioned, but when it's all happening, it's great!

The panels will also wow you with the midrange also. Most of the time they sound amazing and revealing - lots of micro detail(radio announcer's studio ''atmosphere'', switching in and out of tracks, equipment noise or hum......it's all there.

In comparison with my two way compression driver/15 inch bass horn system, the panels are far more revealing. Yes........you heard that right:eek:

The horns have a tendency to make everything sound the same - especially with valve amplification.Very strange indeed - and this was first noticed when I built a Gainclone to try on the horns.

The panels like solid state, no question. Valves through the panels are far too bass flabby and the top end and midrange seems veiled over.
I don't own the Audionote Ongaku with silver wired transformers so maybe it's not a fair comparison:D ???

jzagaja, I'm not sure I understand your point in your last post.
When you say longer decay, do you mean reverberation or ambiance?
Either way, NXT exciters on free floating panels has the ability to produce full reverberant effects and the natural decay of instruments played in a concert hall. This is one of the best features discovered with my panel version of NXT.

If you are using 10 piezos on a panel, you will have a very fast but limited bandwidth. Reverberation mainly occurs at lower frequencies to what the piezos will go down to? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ziggy,

When you say longer decay, do you mean reverberation or ambiance?

Neither of above. For high speed sound low damping DMLs much shorter but still longer than most pistons. Ambiance comes from uncontrolled directivity.

That's the point NXT is good on long decay instruments/recordings, with some CDs they play well and with other quite questionable. My piezo won't play below 2kHz :(

jzagaja said:
There's an interesting phenomenon with Stradivarius wood called "Abete della val di Fiemme". Its non-linear behaviour, anisotropy makes it very efficient radiator even when accelerometer says that other similar woods produce comparable vibration. No one knows why - it simply couples difefrent to the far field. This topics requires very basic research so bending wave is still mysterious.

Check:

http://www.operesonore.it/

Sounds like they are trying to mystify the wood they are using for marketing purposes. It is only spruce.

jzagaja said:
Aluminium decays much faster. I've tried adding the mass to monomorph brass plate and piezo plate but got contraction result to what I have wrote :(

Mass on piezo plate == higher modal density, higher first mode
Mass on brass plate == 6db louder

Today I phoned an old mechanical science professor who developed models for Stradivarius type violins and built prototype in 1985. There are two ways of lowering internal damping in wood: cold stretching and chemical modification.

Hi,
What is cold stretching?

Regards,
Peter

Sounds like they are trying to mystify the wood they are using for marketing purposes. It is only spruce. What is cold stretching?

Prof. Skalmierski 30 years ago made a hypothesis that efficient and higher modal placement of Stradivarii violin is product of axial pre-load so that soundboard has to be stretched like a skin on a drum. Today violin makers bend wood with a heat that removes any stress. Recommendation is to use Euler elastic curves and cold bending. In his prototype he used recent method but with metal stretchers. He received award from the prime minster but no one was interested in a production. His colleague eng. Jerzy Kowalczuk used chemical treatment for similar results.

So if top plate lies freely or is axially stretched then damping decrement lowers and violins play louder.

Ziggy said:
Mor den Siur, your attached image is so small it's useless(as is your posting).............CHOLERA!!!!!!(Polish swear word)

If it attempts to show distortion figures, on/of what?........DML's vary immensely in their design and construction, size, panel material and the way they are implemented : true NXT style or the Podium Loudspeaker approach etc.

Do us all a favor and read up on this technology so that you are aware of what it's all about before posting a meaningless distortion waterfall response.

I can happily say that I have built the real thing and am listening to it every day, loving every minute of it. That does not sound like a very high distortion loudspeaker does it?:rolleyes:

jzagaja, ....interesting. The sound of brass and voice is very natural on my panels. Piano is incredible, tympani, drums : very scary:hot:

Easy man - peace:)
This was my comment for picturee, jzagaja posted in Post #222. Lets say bad joke...
I am very interested in this technology, but just waiting for holidays from my studies.

jzagaja said:

Maybe I'm wrong, willing to see BMR waterfall and built a good model. What I have now is an unbalanced 10 piezo element DML. Best way is to record instrument outdoors and play through DML in a reverberant room so you can really compare the real thing. The opinion comes from prof. Farina who has auditioned Opere Sonore and NXT. I'm afraid that longer decay is considered as highly detailed speaker.

Hi jzagaja,

when lower damping is (may be) percepted as "more detailed",
this may be partly a deception of our hearing system ...

On the other hand: It is often stated, even with conventional
midrange drivers, that diaphragm materials with very high damping
can have little detail, especially at low listening levels.

I often wondered, if this is due to mechanical resistance not
being proportionial to the amplitude of diaphragm movement
even in breakup mode.

I believe that nonlinarities in the mechanical resistance of
diaphragm materials and suspension may cause a degradation in
fine dynamics and a loss of fine detail.

This may be the same for some highly resistive Materials
used in DML Panels.

If loss of low level detail is a problem with some highly
resistive materials it is difficult to have

fine dynamics + detail + short decay alltogether.

Maybe this is why lots of composites and structures are tried and
discussed in this area: Requirements are conflicting. There is no
obvious "best" solution.

To me personally one attractive approach seems to be combining
a flexible (non resistive) diaphragm material, which is capable
of linear movement, with a selective damping which is applied
to suspension and strategic points/areas of high velocity on
the diaphragm. This may be a way to introduce the required damping
with a minimum of nonlinearity.

Kind Regards

jzagaja said:

Prof. Skalmierski 30 years ago made a hypothesis that efficient and higher modal placement of Stradivarii violin is product of axial pre-load so that soundboard has to be stretched like a skin on a drum. Today violin makers bend wood with a heat that removes any stress. Recommendation is to use Euler elastic curves and cold bending. In his prototype he used recent method but with metal stretchers. He received award from the prime minster but no one was interested in a production. His colleague eng. Jerzy Kowalczuk used chemical treatment for similar results.

So if top plate lies freely or is axially stretched then damping decrement lowers and violins play louder.

I tried to find info about Skalmierskis hypothesis, but I can`t read polish, and the translations made no sence.
Do you have a link to it in english?

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.