ESL Diaphragm coating

Is This a joke? On me?
Cotings this an that, i have put this F21 SUPER PROTECTANT on my panels from Turtle wax $299.US for over 10oz has more output than any other i have had in 10years. How can this be, what world make this have more output than others?? anyone
Thanks

Is This a joke? On me?
Cotings this an that, i have put this F21 SUPER PROTECTANT on my panels from Turtle wax $299.US for over 10oz has more output than any other i have had in 10years. How can this be, what world make this have more output than others?? anyone
Thanks

Interesting!

Is it some kind of wax? I'll get some tomorrow and try it out.

Anybody tried Cramolin Urethane Clear, its an alternative I have been offered to the Licron. It has a Surface resistance of 2,5 x10 to the power of 12 Ohm . It is manufactured by ITW Chemishe Produkte GMbH website Home - ITW Deutschland I am looking to repair some quad 63's

thanks

The resistance of the clear polyurethane is way too high, won't work on a 63. You want a coating with a surface resistance around 10^8 ohms/sq.

Thanks for that arend-jan. Seems that I must either try get hold of the Staticide 6300S, 63001 or 63005 suitable for PET applications which has a surface resistance of 10^7ohms/sq of or failing that resort to the coatings of MT Audio designs coating or that from MR Audio. Any other suggestions welcome. Paul

Ok thanks for your info.....
But i well say that in this post all i relly get is most here think you well be abel to keep Any ESL going for ever with one coate? Sounds good but i have fond diff.
For myself i find i need to clean the mylar about every 6 monts.. To get the best sound .So any thing that works this good an it cost is so low i can just redo the coating. This is the best sounding coateing i have found, vary high output in my setup. I well let you no how long one coate last.
Any diy ESL should be made to open so it can be cleaned!
Quad older ESLs have dust covers so there a littel diff.
just my 5cent

My panel seems to have dropped efficiency 5-7dB in a week after I applied the antistatic spray. I buffed a very slightly layer, did I perhaps apply too little of it? The stuff is designed to act as a antistatic vinyl polish and is used for plastics.

The neon lamp flash rate has also decreased considerably, to about half of the initial rate. Now it blinks every 2-3 seconds with 4,7kV bias. Right at the start it was more like every second.

I don't think the air humidity has changed much (my meter has been constantly at 50-55%) and even though it had I would not think the effect to be so dramatic...

I'm thinking if i should do some R&D with mixing this antistatic spray with high polish car wax I have and see how it works. Apply a layer, let it dry and then buff most of it away it like normally with car wax, and then live happily ever after? Anybody tried this combo?

I also have a sample bottle of ER audio's coating, that seems to have at least ink in it as it's blue, I could also apply this to the mix just a tiny portion... I'd like the membrane to stay completely transparent.

Regards,

Legis

Last edited:
Yeah i used some antistatic spray to and really it will drop even further , and be gone after a while. same goes for the glue on water base, looks promissing but wil decrease performance after a while. believe me i did my audiostatics 6 times with both options and was disapointed after few weeks.

i used licron, but i sprayed all in a bottle deluted it with alcohol. like 1/2 then used a sponge to aplly , use a paint brush, or even beter a spray gun. but you need to know how to use one. i got best result with the spponge.

Put it on the mylar and then use the sponge to get an even layer. still going strong , an by far the best efficiency i ever got. but be really carefull with it ,,use tape to mask what you dont want to conduct !!! or you get leakage really easy. and it will not go away.

Last edited:
Btw you could use the ink just a tiny bit , and it will look transparant when not much used. but the ink is gone be the only working factor, using it with the antistatic is usless. antistatic will stop working and the ink does not but question is it enough.

could use the water based glue ith water and the ink so it will stick, but i recon you have to use more ink and they wont be transparant any more.

i say get a bottle of licron, delute it as you like, the more deluted the higher resistance and also transparancy increases.

the spray cans are pricey like 40$ but deluted its like 20$ and you could do like 6 fullrange esl's or maybe even more cause i spoiled quite allot when trying to use a spray gun :)

Last edited:
Hi wrinex,

I quess I will have to try licron if this does not work out. I'm gonna try 50:50 mix of the car wax and antistatic vinyl polish spray.

Where does one get licron from Europe in a canister (not spray)? What alcohol did you use to dilute it, ethanol or something else? Can one use paint thinner to diluting?

well i used a bottle of Alcohol Ketonatus 96% , you could try to begin witg 1-3 alcohol 2-3 licron and go up from there.

source of licron spray
WEIDINGER - Antistatik-Überzug / 278 ml

just spray in a glass container. and then delute and shake.

weird enough the postage is almost 7 euro cheaper when you buy 2.

51,00 € for one incl postage
77,00 € for two incl postage

Last edited:
The neon lamp flash rate has also decreased considerably, to about half of the initial rate. Now it blinks every 2-3 seconds with 4,7kV bias. Right at the start it was more like every second.

Neon lamp flash rate decreasing is actually a good sign. The slower it blinks means the better the panel is holding its charge. Are you sure that the lose of sensitivity is due to the coating?

Wachara C.

Neon lamp flash rate decreasing is actually a good sign. The slower it blinks means the better the panel is holding its charge. Are you sure that the lose of sensitivity is due to the coating?

Wachara C.

I cannot think of any other reason. I applied the spray under and over the charge ring that covers the whole perimeter. HV lead is soldered to the ring. Charge ring's glue is also conductive.

The antistatic spray + car wax failed terribly, the sensitivity decreased 5dB more:eek:.

I quess I have to order licron.

By the way does mylar handle solvents well if I'm gonna clean the membrane from the antistatic spray and car wax with paint thinner? I have tried it on sample piece and have not seen any detrimental effect.

it kind of depends, if there was leakage somewhere and the rate is going down this could because of two reasons, either leakage is less then before, or coating is not conducting as is should. for instane only half of the panel or resistance is way to high. or the coating is going bad near the point where it leaked in the first place.

so les blinks does not mean it workes beter , ive fooled myself with this in the begining, really nice steady slow blinking but no sound...

thats why clean al the pannels verry carefully and mask with tape before aplying new coating.

Last edited: