ESL Diaphragm coating

Do I understand correctly that the 6300 coating stops conduction within 2 years? Because if that is the case, why would anybody would want to use it?
NO you DO NOT!
With all do respect: Murphy Laws are immortal...:smash: or my English is that bad???
Liquid coating as shipped in bottled, canned...or otherwise VESSELed form is good for at least 6 months, after it was opened.
In 6 months, for very least, after unsealing, coating (liquid) becomes not good: i.e. it would not conduct, when dried. It's either sedimentation or coagulation or polymerization in volume... who knows. It dries in contact with air or moisture in the former. So, if you open the bottle, you let the ultimate curing agent in...
that is not the case for pressurized (aerosol) cans: nothing gets in when you start using the product.

BTW

#6300 in aerosol can is called #6500
Licron in bottle is called 1756-G

Dried (polymerized, cured... whatever) lasts for undetermined period of time
(at least 2years, by my experience)
P.S. I was quite hesistant to put out an exact information... now you understand why.
P.P.S. I doubt that bottled 1756 lasts any longer than 6300

Last edited:
Why would one expect that self-polymerizing one component varnish gonna be good forever? It's not saline...
Seems that any hermetically sealed product is the proper one...
Water based product can be shipped by air - that was 1st decisive factor for me. Water based product dries much slower and I would never change such a convenience for a shelf life.
There are better materials as well - you would not like the price
On the other hand, also it's a stretch, would you use expired food?

What's with the hostile attitude?? I'm not attacking you. Forgive me if I'm not up to scratch on my chemistry. I asked a simple question and got a condescending answer.Nobody holds you personally responsible for the fact that 6300 has a shelf life.

No chemistry, just common sense, knowing the fact that the coating not just dries but polymerizes (which is stated AND is readable in TDS). It happens when air and, consequently, moisture gets in:
QUOTE Wipe sprayer tip prior to storage to prevent coating from hardening in the tip’s opening. END QUOTE

Talking about coatings, I was a little surprised to see that Martin Logan still make use of the old "graphite slurry"!!

Look here, at step 4:

Making of a MartinLogan Electrostatic Speaker Panel | Caster Communications

Yea, but slurry is used, as I understood it, just to fill breaks in coating which is initially magnetron (most likely) deposited in vacuum. It should be carbon based by ML description. They do not disclose what it is exactly.
QUOTE to fill micro-fractures which occur naturally during the stretching process END QUOTE

ML used Copper oxide and Palladium in their coating of late 1980's Sequel 11's. Probably in all their models then, not sure how long they continued with it though. In a ML forum I read an informal interview with Gale Sanders circa. 2000 where he stated they stretched their diaphram only in the horizontal and that they were working on a DD amp! Anyone have more info on that project? Has anyone priced a corona charge or better yet vapour deposition, with so much interest in coatings maybe a group buy-in on some prepped film might slow this thread down...

Last edited:
I doubt that even cheap fix would slow this thread. Apparently glue-ink formula was not up to the task.
Graphite rubbing is dirt cheap but labor intensive. Decent acrylic coating over the graphite to prevent chipping - you are ready to go.
It's doubtful that one can EASILY reproduce industrial process. Besides the goal of a such is usually not performance but rather price and/or reproducibility.
For instance, you may order a batch of the film coated not by aluminum but by the other substance. How willingly would, let's say, the capacitor guys do that?
And what is such a substance;) would you spent that much money and time to find one?
In regard to cupric oxide and palladium - way too heavy and the first one would not stretch:confused:
EDIT: Corona is easily reproducible but kind of dangerous. CVD??? not every silicon fab would do it. Low pressure magnetron would be the easiest in terms of investment. Look for the guys doing windshield and glass tinting.
So the best still is to nag rep or distributor for a SAMPLE of a proven industrial coating... or buy the latter from Aussie guys

Last edited:
Hi JonasKarud,

Wow! Thanks for the link. I wonder why ML doesn't even bother to put a charge ring in its ESL.

Wachara C.

I think its an old ghost, haunting in the background, as even M-L struggles or
struggled with this eternal problem of non eternal coatings...

I think that first of all the see trough capability has to go, the most long lived
coatings are always opaque as in Quad or Koss or Accustat

Hi JonasKarud,

Wow! Thanks for the link. I wonder why ML doesn't even bother to put a charge ring in its ESL.

Wachara C.

Yes i have been puting 2 Bias feeds in logan for 10years .....thay only put one on the right side of the panel....I put one on the right an left sides of the panel....So why dont that spend 50.cent more an make the panles putout 2db more ....thay love to sale panels!Money....These ML speakers with the right bias feeds are some on of the best ESL i have ever had...With the new bias feeds i put in i can drive them with 50watt tube amp ...
I have a pr of Ascent here now that i just redid the bias feeds on ..sound great ...new panels are $1000.US.

I know from an early article in some HiFi magazine that M-L bought their
film from Courtaulds Plc.

In the 2000 Gale Sanders interview I mentioned above he said they sourced their film from.....
it was a three or four letter corp. I very briefly google searched at that time without a hit. Twas in a ML forum post of a small meet and greet where the author was suprised to find Gale in a very relaxed mood and being candid with their questions.

In the 2000 Gale Sanders interview I mentioned above he said they sourced their film from.....
it was a three or four letter corp. I very briefly google searched at that time without a hit. Twas in a ML forum post of a small meet and greet where the author was suprised to find Gale in a very relaxed mood and being candid with their questions.

Maybe it was PPG?

From wikipedia: "In October 2000, PPG Industries announced it had agreed to buy Courtaulds Aerospace"

Maybe it was PPG?

From wikipedia: "In October 2000, PPG Industries announced it had agreed to buy Courtaulds Aerospace"

Not PPG or Courtaulds Aerospace, that would have found a permanent void in my membrain. Also my search would have brought them to me before I could blink:eek:, then again my gal says I can zero in on her and stop blinking. At least for three minutes which is the time she can stand looking at me.
I might find the post without stress but there's always that chance. I'll follow up with my results here.