Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
UnixMan, Theo404, and ratza

I think my error was persisting with hardware that wasn't up to the task.

But thats half the fun.... finding a solution to the problem in front of you!

I'd quite like to play with an older system like that in a small form factor, see how far you could strip and optimise to get the system to do what you want. With brutefir that system could have run many more filters than required and have head room to spare.... with the right install.

But thats half the fun.... finding a solution to the problem in front of you!

But the hours, Theo404, the hours......:headbash:

I'd quite like to play with an older system like that in a small form factor, see how far you could strip and optimise to get the system to do what you want. With brutefir that system could have run many more filters than required and have head room to spare.... with the right install.

Well you never know what someone might be selling on eBay soon!;)

Unix-man: This is Cool. I can stop my Alsa Upgrade Script maintenance for now. THX.

BTW:

Did I tell you guys that I am running a Squeezzebox (SBR -"without controller" @ 110€) now?

Sounds quite good out of the box.
Tweaked even (much) better. ( I2S tapping off is pretty easy.)
Not any implications of PC/OS.
Operation is fun.
Runs at a fragment of cost of any other comparable solution.
Opensource
Supports native 44.1 ( there's a quartz which can easily be upgraded)
Lowest energy usage
Galvanically isolated through ethernet
Lot's of plugins or other gadgets/configs can be applied - even brutefir for convolution.
Multidevice support

Operation with iPeng on the iPhone is just great.
Coverarts on the iPhone
Extreme fast database access
Supports even wav tag guessing very well. ( You can handle wav albums the same way as files with tags.)

What more do I want? A well working solution covering my entire house. It can be handled by the entire family without facing a compromise on sound quality.
And not to forget - still running a Linux system and network.

Why didn't somebody tell me earlier. ;)

Folks. Get you one to play with over the holidays. Highly recommended.

Attachments

• Adele-iPhone.jpeg
    Adele-iPhone.jpeg
    4.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Soundcheck-
How could we have known? I think the Squeezeboxes are great for what they are intended for. Logitech is having trouble marketing them since The parent company isn't sure why someone would buy one. I have 3 and for distributed audio they work very well.

However only a few models support higher than 48 KHz sampling and even then its limited to 96. For access to the 176 and 192 content you must go elsewhere.

They are imminently modifiable (start with a good, well isolated linear power supply) and use an external DAC.

You still need a server and Linux seems to be a very good choice to build on. The Vortex box is a great candidate for a server. Unfortunately Linux is a poor place to get good metadata since the best metadata sources are inside walled gardens with ugly guards.

how do you tag WAV files?

The mechanism used by some players and squeezebox is called tag-guessing.

In the end the filename gets cut into fields. We are not talking about embedded tags.

E.g:

Tracknum-Artist-Album-Track

You can tell squeezebox server how you want to have it structured.
The server tries to match the pattern. If it works, the server fills up the db-fields accordingly.
Key factor is the field separator - it defines the number of fields.

This requires that your filenames are 100% consistently following above pattern. One dash more in the name and it won't fly ( at least on squeezebox server -- MPD-Minion was a bit smarter here).

I am almost done cleaning up my filenames for Squeezebox. ;) 95% were OK.

It gets a bit more tricky with various artists cds. The track field needs to contain the track-artist and the trackname.

However only a few models support higher than 48 KHz sampling and even then its limited to 96. For access to the 176 and 192 content you must go elsewhere.

In another forum the Teac WAP V6000 has been in discussion. It has been found even to feed the spdif interface with up to 192 kHz. Teac also has published the underlying Linux system due to the open source rules. Just 325 MB to download and unpack ...

Uli

BTW:

Did I tell you guys that I am running a Squeezzebox (SBR -"without controller" @ 110€) now?

Sounds quite good out of the box.
Tweaked even (much) better. ( I2S tapping off is pretty easy.)

Folks. Get you one to play with over the holidays. Highly recommended.

Hello Soundcheck,

I have a Squeezebox at home since a week (paid 86 €). It's not playing yet. I had a look at wireless network under Linux and I estimate that it will take me a couple of months at least to get that going (or not). So using wires is preferential. How much quality loss would that give? Galvanic isolation with optical fiber could be obtained in the ethernet cable if that is an absolute must (cost ~100€).

Another question is about the volume control: do you fully rely on the software control of the SqueezeCentre and is the quality OK? Does it use 24 bits?

Kind regards,
Eddie

Joined 2004
Paid Member
a wireless router is all you need for a wireless connection. I don't see why you need to deal with Linux wireless. Perhaps you can explain more.

The volume control in the Squeexeboxes I have used is digital and I would not use them in a performance application. You can defeat the volume control.

a wireless router is all you need for a wireless connection. I don't see why you need to deal with Linux wireless. Perhaps you can explain more.

The volume control in the Squeexeboxes I have used is digital and I would not use them in a performance application. You can defeat the volume control.

Hello 1audio,

I am using a Linux PC since a few years for WAV-playback under a rt-kernel. Sounds great, and a big improvement was achieved by replacing the hardware volume control (an expensive stepped attenuator in my case) with a software control that first upsamples to 24 bit.

From what I read about the Squeezebox I am not shure that it is using this method. Its build-in Wolfson DAC can handle 24 bit as far as I know. If you have any information on this I would be happy to receive it.

The wireless connection is a completely different story. It is available on my motherboard. However, I am not familiar with this and after spending three evenings of reading I was left with two huge documents on how to install it. These documents were so different that I had no idea anymore what to do. I have already wasted enormous amounts of time in trying to install Linux and applications under it. I am totally fed up with that. So the alternative is simple, I will use cables.

Kind regards,
Eddie

Hi Eddie.

Sounds like you're still not used to Linux. ;)

In your current case your problem has nothing to do with Linux.

It is your lack of knowledge about "networking" and "wireless lan" and not to forget that you try to get the "hacker" version of Squeezebox working.
With a controller at hand things are much easier.

The key issue is to get the initial networking configured within SBR and to get your router configured properly.

Checkout this page:: GettingStarted Net-UDAP

To get the UDAP tool going do this:

Code:
sudo su
apt-get install subversion
cd /usr/src
svn co http://projects.robinbowes.com/svn/Net-UDAP/branches/1.0.x
cd 1.0.x/scripts
./udap_shell.pl

UDAP>

discover    (make sure the SBR is config mode - slow blinking red led)
list
configure 1 ( whats your client? change "1" accordingly)

At this spoint you'll be able to configure the interface:
Note a key challenge is to configure the correct encryption which is used on your WLAN

E.g. wireless (wep )

wireless - wep - config :
---------------------------------

Code:
set interface=0 hostname=squeeze1 squeezecenter_name="server-hostname" server_address=192.XXX.X.XXX squeezecenter_address=192.XXX.X.XXX lan_gateway=192.XXX.X.1 lan_subnet_mask=255.255.255.0 wireless_mode=0 wireless_region_id=14 wireless_SSID="your rwireless network name" wireless_keylen=1 wireless_wep_key_0="wep-key" wireless_wep_on=1 wireless_channel=11

Change ip adresses according to your setup. Note: it is important that you own a router where it is possible to reserve certain ip-adresses for certain clients (MAC addresses). Otherwise the whole thing won't work. You can't allow to have changing addresses on the LAN.

Cheers

Hi folks.

I figured out a new thing. "squeezeslave" a virtual squeezeclient.

That one lets your PC run as virtual squeezebox receiver (great for FitPc headless) and overall audio control of your (audio)-PCs

SqueezeSlave - SqueezeboxWiki

( Linux build instructions are OK)

Start command - example:

Code:
./squeezeslave -k20 -esoftsqueeze3 -M"/var/log/squeeze.log" -o0 192.XXX.0.XXX

Type ./squeezeslave -L to find out the alsa-interface value for the -o option.

See attached picture which shows the two clients ( on SBR and one squeezeslave) on iPeng.

Cheers

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 210
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.