Linux Audio the way to go!?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you know of any hacks that can get the Squeezebox receiver to up-sample the 16 bit data stream from the server to 24 bits and then output it on its optical or spdif connectors?

As it seems 16bit are padded to 24bit on the SBR.
I've been told that the SBR (FPGA) works internally 24bit and also outputs
24bit.
Volume control is done in 24bit.

24bit thread at SB Forum

Thanks for the info - useful.

Do you know any way to force the sample rate on the SBR's digital output to be 48kHz?

Yes. You need to do the resampling on the server by by changing the rules for wav or whatever format you're using in /etc/squeezeboxserver/
convert.conf respectively /etc/squeezeboxserver/custom-convert.conf.

Check this one out:

SB resampling

Seems that I am just three days ahead of you. ;)

So how many people are using Ubuntu ? What are people using for their audio player ? I used to run xmms, but can't get it working on a older system.

Currently running ubuntu 9.10 on a 24" monitor with a P4 1.7 @ 1.5gigs ram on a 80gig :p runs ok for now.

J'

Linux Mint + Audacious 2 would be my first choice. ( for people who are new to Linux)
Music Player Daemon if you're a bit more advanced. You need to be able to do some configs on the commandline. It is a great application for network audio streaming. Remote control via iPhone app and Firefox is possible.

I recently figured that VLC is doing a pretty good job in the audio world too.
It is an interesting player which comes with interesting tweaking options and tons of plugins. It is available on all OSes .
Beside that I am using it for video playback of course. ( Probably the best video player) The HTML interface is pretty basic - I wouldn't use it at this stage.

With the Squeezebox all above become obsolete. Non one of them is as comortable to use as my iPeng/SqueezboxCenter combination.

Hi folks.

How does this look like? ;)

Code:
E-MU Systems, Inc. E-MU 0404 | USB at usb-0000:00:06.1-1.4.4, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
    Interface = 1
    Altset = 10
    URBs = 6 [ 8 8 8 8 8 8 ]
    Packet Size = 586
    Momentary freq = 192000 Hz (0x18.0000)
   Interface 1
    Altset 10
    Format: S24_3LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 192000
    Data packet interval: 500 us

To me it looks like 192khz in async USB mode. :D They finally managed.

It even works on the hw output now - before only plughw was possible.

If you own a EMU 0404USB run my Alsa Upgrade script >1.22.1-2 and install the driver snapshot on top. (Follow link in signature)

BTW: I tested the earlier discussed repo upgrade of Alsa. I'll stick with the manual upgrade using my script.

Cheers

BTW. If you don't have a 24/192 file at hand, below commands might help to create one easily:

Code:
SOX 14.3.0 ( parameters might differ from other revisions) 
sox -D -t wav -e signed-integer -b 24 -r 96000 your96k-file.wav  -t wavpcm -e signed-integer -b 24 your192k-file.wav rate -v -I -s 192000

Playback:

RT-KERNEL:      schedtool -F -p 75 -e ecasound -B:rt -b:32 -r:80 -f:s24_le,2,192000,i -i:your192k-file.wav -o:alsahw,1,0 
NORMAL-KERNEL:  ecasound -B:rt -b:32 -r:80 -f:s24_le,2,192000,i -i:your192k-file.wav -o:alsahw,1,0

Linux Mint + Audacious 2 would be my first choice. ( for people who are new to Linux)
Music Player Daemon if you're a bit more advanced. You need to be able to do some configs on the commandline. It is a great application for network audio streaming. Remote control via iPhone app and Firefox is possible.

I recently figured that VLC is doing a pretty good job in the audio world too.
It is an interesting player which comes with interesting tweaking options and tons of plugins. It is available on all OSes .
Beside that I am using it for video playback of course. ( Probably the best video player) The HTML interface is pretty basic - I wouldn't use it at this stage.

With the Squeezebox all above become obsolete. Non one of them is as comortable to use as my iPeng/SqueezboxCenter combination.

Sad to see your linux solutions become obsolete though...

How about squeezebox stock before mod? Does squeezebox-spdif-dac sound better than usb->spdif->dac?

Sad to see your linux solutions become obsolete though...

Let see. My Linux quest is put on hold for the time being. Though there are tons of applications for my solution I guess.

How about squeezebox stock before mod? Does squeezebox-spdif-dac sound better than usb->spdif->dac?

It depends -- on a lot of criterias/parameters. ;)

Check this out:

Lampizator Squeezebox

Cheers

Well here are the tweaks I intend to implement -As I intend to operate this wired & only for my 44.1KHz music :
- tapping I2S
- removing WiFi card
- removing 1.2V & 3.3V switching regulators
- supplying clean external 1.2V & 3.3V
- Remove the 11.289 crystal and R104.
- Inject a new clock to pin 42 of the Xilinx or on the side of R104 which is connected to pin 42
- Unsolder/disconnect pin 14 (vcc) from the 74HC04.

Can you say what else you have done?

Where is the wiki

Hi,
I have had the wiki bookmarked for years and now it has disappeared! anyone know how to access it please. I am setting up a new PC with studio 9.10 and want to go through the set up of Alsa fo USB and sampling etc. I also can't remember where to mount the music to play. I think it was on a Ramdisk.
Cheers,
rob

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.