Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

A brilliant bit of kit Tim, thanks so much for your continued endeavours.

I mainly use Moode as a UPnP renderer and I gather that lesbonscomptes is continuing to refine Upmpdcli. Does Moode 3.7 feature the latest version of Upmpdcli? Also I understand that recent versions of Upmpdcli can act as a gateway to Google Play Music, Qobuz and Tidal. Is there any chance this ability could be included in a later version of Moode?

I think I am the only other one that asks for this :)

I am running the latest version , with Qobuz ( also had Tidal for a while) and also using the OHRadio function along with Dynamic Art grabber.

I will look at creating a set of instructions for you to upgrade your version of UPMPDCLI, I have published one before but I cannot remember if it has changed. You can do this following his website, but I used to have a a list of instructions as there used to be a couple of dependencies missing which he may have fixed.

It is reasonably straight forward but it means you have to compile an new version of upexplorer or else you will get a weird 100% CPU (well core) condition in with it. I can supply a compiled copy but you should not make a habit of trusting people on the internet :eek:.

What control point are you using?

Hi @ZigZag10,

I don't get many requests for upmpdcli but I'll look at what it will take to include it in moOde 4.0. The new features JFD has added will need their own config page, and the custom album art fetcher that he wrote may also need to be updated.

-Tim

FYI, before the change to Squashfs (so I have not retried) the new build of upexplorer along with a judicious tweek (hack) of the PHP code I could get the Moode webpage to display the dynamic art for Radio stations played through OHRADIO feature. You can argue a bit pointless as you either use the UPNP interface or the Web interface but it was a bit of a 'I wonder if you could' thing.

Hello and please excuse any mistake on my first post here.
I have a rpi-3 and also a mac and an android player. The last hours when I hit diyAudio server HTTPS page on safari or chrome, there is no website uploaded. Blank page.
Also I have MPDroid app installed and this doesnt connect also!
2 days ago the electricity went daown for a couple of hours. Does this have anything to do with the problem?
Thank you

Are u using the integrated Pi-3B WiFi chip or an external USB WiFi adapter?

The DAC+Pro kills WiFi signal on Pi-3. See Git issue #1588 below. I think Hifiberry has an updated Pro. Contact them for support.
WLAN driver not working correctly when using HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro * Issue #1588 * raspberrypi/linux * GitHub
Tim,
Like I said before I'm using the internal Wifi chip.
But I just found out something disturbing... (I hope I'm wrong about this...)
When entering a static IP address for a wired connection, and I only enter the IP and the netmask (which in my opinion is enough for a simple network), reboot the Moode software, I'm not able to connect via the cable anymore. I can only get in via the AP option and hopefully it is setup correctly, otherwise you're screwed....
Adding a Gateway address to the static IP still isn't enough. It still won't let me in using that same static IP address. Only when I finally add both primary and secondary DNS I can use the static addy just entered.

This is not normal, because at home I do have all these addresses, but at the office I just want to run the RP3 as a "stand alone" media player, with built in (on the SD card) mp3's. On a simple PC connected via RJ45 to the RP3, I then want to run the Moode software. And here I don't have a gateway, nor DNS addresses.

Help!!!

Johan

Hi Johan,

TCP/IP networking requires IP address, Netmask, Gateway and at least Primary DNS address. Gateway and Primary DNS are typically set to your Routers address.

If you want to run moOde stand-alone then just use AP mode. The issue you will have though is that Hifiberry DAC+Pro is going to interfere with the Wifi signal on the Pi-3 internal chip making wireless unreliable. I think Hifiberry has an updated DAC+Pro.

-Tim

Hi guys
Just a couple of questions.
Downloaded 3.7 after using 3.1 for a long time, never really played too much with some of the options so these maybe dumb questions. Pi2 and Hifiberry digi +

Upsampling, what should this be set at? Is this something I can set and forget or change to suit different recordings?

LCD screen, I have an official Pi touch screen sitting around. Can I configure and run this with Mo0de? If so I can do away with the wifi to control everything.

Advanced kernel. Should I try this or is it as the message says it could be unstable. I tried in 3.1 and it screwed thing up. Had to reload the image.

Control via laptop. I don't have a network so what would I need to control Mo0de via my laptop? (without wifi). Would it be laptop - switch - Pi? Not really up on networks? Possible to connect a android tablet to the pi to control thing? Wired that is not wifi.

Are there any other settings I should tweak for maximum SQ or leave them as defaulted?
This system sounds pretty bloody good but as always I'm looking to maximise what we have.

Appreciate your help.

Dave

I think I am the only other one that asks for this :)

I am running the latest version , with Qobuz ( also had Tidal for a while) and also using the OHRadio function along with Dynamic Art grabber.

I will look at creating a set of instructions for you to upgrade your version of UPMPDCLI, I have published one before but I cannot remember if it has changed. You can do this following his website, but I used to have a a list of instructions as there used to be a couple of dependencies missing which he may have fixed.

It is reasonably straight forward but it means you have to compile an new version of upexplorer or else you will get a weird 100% CPU (well core) condition in with it. I can supply a compiled copy but you should not make a habit of trusting people on the internet :eek:.

What control point are you using?

Hi Serverbaboon

Thanks very much for offering to create some instructions so I can upgrade to the latest version of UPMPDCLI - I'm definitely interested in this.

Appreciating the good comment you make about not trusting others on the web, I would also be grateful if you could supply me with a recompiled version of upexplorer.

As regards to control points, I use both the ipad and PC versions of Kazoo and BubbleDS Next on my (android) mobile. IMHO these apps are in a league of their own when it comes to selecting, playing and controlling digital music - and I guess you must share that view!

Hi guys
Just a couple of questions.
LCD screen, I have an official Pi touch screen sitting around. Can I configure and run this with Mo0de? If so I can do away with the wifi to control everything.
Control via laptop. I don't have a network so what would I need to control Mo0de via my laptop? (without wifi). Would it be laptop - switch - Pi? Not really up on networks? Possible to connect a android tablet to the pi to control thing? Wired that is not wifi.

Dave

Hi, Dave.

My old ears aren't what they used to be so I'll let others answer your questions relating to SQ.

Concerning the LCD touch screen, others have made them work as displays, but I'm not sure about the touch aspect. Look, especially, at past messages by Morias, for example, #7876

You don't mention the age of your laptop nor the operating system on it. These days, most (perhaps all?) computers have ethernet interfaces which can be directly connected to each other without using a crossover cable or a switch. Google is your friend. Try searching on the phrase "direct ethernet connection" and maybe throw in Raspberry Pi and the name of the OS on the laptop.

Regards,
Kent

Annoying problem....
So, my question now is strait forward: how can I make some kind of connection again to my RP3 without starting over again (copying 55GB of music to an SD takes time you know....)

Thx,
Johan

Hi, Johan.

I feel your pain in copying 55GB of files to the uSD card!

You may have started over from scratch already, but just in case: you can edit the uSD card on another computer to try to recover connectivity.

The simplest approach may be to create the auto-configuration file moodecfg.txt in the boot partition as outlined in the Setup Guide. This can be done even using Microsoft Windows. I'm not sure if you can setup MoOde to run in access-point mode this way, but certainly you can set it up to run in client-mode against your home WiFi access point. Then plug it in and reboot. MoOde should use this file to setup the networking.

If this doesn't work, then we're into editing the networking configuration files in the root partition. This has to be done on a computer which can read/write the partition (Linux in my case) and requires some knowledge of the files and parameters involved.

Regards,
Kent

Hi @Kent,

When moOde boots, AP mode is automatically activated as long as no home wifi SSID has been previously entered. When AP mode activates it changes some config files that will mess up Auto-confg (moodecfg.txt) and wlan0.

Thus, Auto-config (moodecfg.txt) will only work correctly on a fresh moOde image that has not already been booted.

-Tim

Hi Serverbaboon

Thanks very much for offering to create some instructions so I can upgrade to the latest version of UPMPDCLI - I'm definitely interested in this.

Appreciating the good comment you make about not trusting others on the web, I would also be grateful if you could supply me with a recompiled version of upexplorer.

As regards to control points, I use both the ipad and PC versions of Kazoo and BubbleDS Next on my (android) mobile. IMHO these apps are in a league of their own when it comes to selecting, playing and controlling digital music - and I guess you must share that view!

Ok both these support OHRadio.

Always have been a big fan of Bubble DS however the support of OHRadio is very basic and does not support dynamic artwork (needs scripting skills) for radio streams so I have switched to Kazoo.

I will try and sort this out this weekend bu I will need to create a new install as mine has been messed around quite a bit.

Which streaming service are you interested in?

Hi @Kent,

When moOde boots, AP mode is automatically activated as long as no home wifi SSID has been previously entered. When AP mode activates it changes some config files that will mess up Auto-confg (moodecfg.txt) and wlan0.

Thus, Auto-config (moodecfg.txt) will only work correctly on a fresh moOde image that has not already been booted.

-Tim

Good to know. I confess I've been too lazy to trace all the relevant code. I had been able to extract myself from early configuration mistakes through this technique and was hoping I could generalize from my experience. You know what they say about assume.

@Johan, sorry for the misleading comment.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,
I use moode at my office with a pi3 and hifiberry and it works great!

I got another license for home where i've set up a pi-0w with a USB audio interface. I can't get any audio out using moode.

Running speaker-test -D sysdefault:C600 -c 2 gives me the correct stereo signal. Do I need to do something with .asoundrc for moode audio to find the audio interface?

I've followed the standard instructions for using a USB interface using the moode GUI and tried internet radio and airplay.

I'm using an m-audio fasttrack c600.

Any help would be great. Thanks

I'm having that issue where if my Pi running Moode crashes or hangs and I reboot it, my USB stick with all my music on it gets mounted under the same name but with trailing underscores added. This of course necessitates a database refresh because all the pointers to actual files are now invalid.

Is there a way to fix this through configuration files or some other way that prevents the trailing underscores from being added to the USB stick mountpoint name?

Tim,
Thanks for the advise on the network settings. I still have an old router somewhere at the office. I guess I'll have to put it into the network to be able to use the GW and DNS addresses.

But now I have something else ;-)
On the SD card I have a folder called "My Music" in which all the albums and songs are neatly organized alphabetically. All together some 5500 songs, all with proper MP3 tags and album art.
Besides that I also have some folders on that same SD card with live albums, OST music, classical music and some other stuff.

I use the "Auto-Shuffle" option in the Audio Configuration, as Tim explained me a few weeks back. This works great. Even without a playlist it randomly choses a song from your library.
But that's now also the problem... Can I prevent parts of my library being used for the auto-shuffle? I don't want these extra folders (Live, OST, Classical...) being used for it because they don't fit in my "regular" music library. And very often these songs are abruptly ended or end with people applauding... I just don't like that.

So, is there way to do this?