Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

I've only used Moode for a few days through the audio jack. I was planning on buying HiFi Berry DAC, and I see that GPIO23 is not used by any of their products, so that would seem suitable. I do not know if there are any other makes of DAC that fit on the header that would conflict with GPIO23. If you know of any other DACs I can try and find a common free pin.

Thanks
Miles

Hi Miles,

I've been using an IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ and would definitely suggest that as an alternative. It has has some nice features:

- sends correct hardware volume range to ALSA
- works perfectly with Moode Logarithmic volume control
- Moode 2.2 will automatically set the 2 analog volume controls on PCM5122 to the correct values for accurate 0dB level
- Support for Rotary encoder (physical volume control) is being investigated for one of the Moode 2.x releases.

The IQ_Rotary_encoder software module use pin 23 and 24, so another pin needs to be reserved for relay control.

Regards,
Tim

The IQ_Rotary_encoder software module use pin 23 and 24, so another pin needs to be reserved for relay control.

Hi Tim,

IQAudIO looks good, I'll go for that when they come back in stock - thanks.

Regarding the GPIO for the relay:

Both IQAudio and HiFiBerry+ use GPIO 02,03 & 18-21.
IQaudio uses GPIO 22 (mute), 23 & 24 (vol rotary encoder) and 25 (IR remote)
Old HiFiBerry for early Pi uses GPIO 28-31 (J5 connector)
Old IQAudio does not pass through GPIO 08,09,14,15

So it would seem GPIO 17 or 27 are good choices as not used by either DAC and available on all Pi versions - go for 17?

Kind regards,
Miles

Hi Tim,

IQAudIO looks good, I'll go for that when they come back in stock - thanks.

Regarding the GPIO for the relay:

Both IQAudio and HiFiBerry+ use GPIO 02,03 & 18-21.
IQaudio uses GPIO 22 (mute), 23 & 24 (vol rotary encoder) and 25 (IR remote)
Old HiFiBerry for early Pi uses GPIO 28-31 (J5 connector)
Old IQAudio does not pass through GPIO 08,09,14,15

So it would seem GPIO 17 or 27 are good choices as not used by either DAC and available on all Pi versions - go for 17?

Kind regards,
Miles

Hi Miles,

Awesome, thanks. I think I'll just make the pin number a user selection in the UI. That way the "Relay Feature" will be more flexible. I'm pretty close to code-freeze on release 2.2 so this will probably happen in the 2.3 release (end of Sept).

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Just a brief status update on release 2.2

Testing some really nice contribs from PHP dev AGoetz :)

- Album art lookup supporting embedded art in FLAC and MP3 files

This will be great if you can get the embedded album art to work. Hopefully in other file types as well. I convert my flac files to aac for Moode and run them off a usb stick so it would be great to get the embedded album art to show for aac.

Thanks for all your efforts, I tried Volumio, Runeaudio and Musicbox before I settled on Moode which I think is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This will be great if you can get the embedded album art to work. Hopefully in other file types as well. I convert my flac files to aac for Moode and run them off a usb stick so it would be great to get the embedded album art to show for aac.

Thanks for all your efforts, I tried Volumio, Runeaudio and Musicbox before I settled on Moode which I think is the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

The new cover art code supports embedded cover art in FLAC and MP3 formats as well as cover image file in the album dir (Folder.jpg, etc). I did not see support for AAC/ALAC formats in the lib, but I'll investigate this.

Tim

Lyrics display

...Sounds interesting. Is there some code u can point me to that would do that?

Winamp (MiniLyrics, Autolyrics, PureLyrics, ...) or foobar (foo_uie_lyrics3) have similar plugins. The code takes the artist's name and title from the file tag (sometimes from the file name) and scans the respective databases in internet (MetroLyrics, Lyrics, Musicbrainz, Musixmatch, Gracenote...); if it finds the match it displays the lyrics in a window. Lyrics then can be saved into the respective tag of the local file as well.

Obviously, the way how intelligent the code extracts the information from the (often very messy) tag and parse it to the search makes the show. I am not the coder guy neither native English speaker - so I do not know the code but I do know the benefits...;-)

Hi Miles,

Awesome, thanks. I think I'll just make the pin number a user selection in the UI. That way the "Relay Feature" will be more flexible. I'm pretty close to code-freeze on release 2.2 so this will probably happen in the 2.3 release (end of Sept).

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

Sounds good. Thanks for taking on the idea, looking forward to the next releases.

Kind regards
Miles

Hello Tim,

Great job you have done !

I donwloaded the image on your site (2.1) and it worked without any problem.
The problem I had with the Volumio library did nor exist here...

Some questions :

1) Is there an automatic update in the distribution, or do we have to download the latest version and do the installation again ?

2) In this version(2.1) Moode did not show the cover embedded in my FLAC files ripped with XLD on OSX. I'm sure they are there because Audirvana show them...
I have tried various options (Default, Embedded and now I'm on "All") and it still show nothing.
Any idea ?

Best regards.
Georges.

Hi Tim,

any chance that the current played song will be highlighted at the list (left side of the "Playback" window) once the "Playback" window will be choosed?

To be more precise in my case I mostly choose the albums from the "Browse" window and "add" them (while listening to a song). Once I switch to the "Playback" window I can see the current played song on the right side of the window (including cover) but not in the list at the left side (I need to scroll down to find it).

So is there any possibility to "refresh" this view (maybe with the current song on top/in the middle of the list) once the "Playback" window is chosen?

Cheers,
Markus

I thought it was embedded in the id3 tag so hopefully it will work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Album art embedding is not standardized in ID3, so we go format by format unfortunately.

A workaround might be to run the batch script from Doug's Apple Scripts that extracts the album art image from the file and creates a Folder.jpg in the album dir.

Tim

Hello Tim,

Great job you have done !

I donwloaded the image on your site (2.1) and it worked without any problem.
The problem I had with the Volumio library did nor exist here...

Some questions :

1) Is there an automatic update in the distribution, or do we have to download the latest version and do the installation again ?

2) In this version(2.1) Moode did not show the cover embedded in my FLAC files ripped with XLD on OSX. I'm sure they are there because Audirvana show them...
I have tried various options (Default, Embedded and now I'm on "All") and it still show nothing.
Any idea ?

Best regards.
Georges.

Hi Georges,

An in-place updater system for Moode has not been built yet so each release is a fresh install.

Support for FLAC format embedded art is coming in release 2.2, near the end of August :)

Regards,
Tim Curtis

Hi Tim,

any chance that the current played song will be highlighted at the list (left side of the "Playback" window) once the "Playback" window will be choosed?

To be more precise in my case I mostly choose the albums from the "Browse" window and "add" them (while listening to a song). Once I switch to the "Playback" window I can see the current played song on the right side of the window (including cover) but not in the list at the left side (I need to scroll down to find it).

So is there any possibility to "refresh" this view (maybe with the current song on top/in the middle of the list) once the "Playback" window is chosen?

Cheers,
Markus

Hi Markus,

Press the Playback tab a second time and the Playlist will auto-scroll to the currently playing song. Same for when Playlist is manually scrolled past currently playing song, just press the Playback tab.

Similarly, on a Smartphone when pressing the "open circle" header button to toggle between knobs and album art, pressing the Playback tab snaps back to the Playlist with auto-scroll to the currently playing song.

Regards,
Tim C