Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

is there a chance to get digital room corrections filters working in moode?

curious

Luki

*You'd need to add an ARM brutefir binary to the image.
*MPD would need a new output option (see below)
*You'd need to be able to edit the brutefir.conf
*Everything needs to be resampled to a single predefined sample rate, since mpd wouldn't be able to swap filters on-the-fly.
*As a workaround you could define different pipe outputs supporting different samplerates. You'd be able to switch manually at least.
*You might have to play with buffer settings to get it properly working.

* Another interesting option/project might be "folve". This solution would deliver filters/samplerate on-the-fly. It's limited to flac and ogg support though. And doesn't seem to be maintained since 3 years. I havn't tried it myself.

Have a look at the Volumio forums. There have been several discussions about the subject.

###mpd.conf#############
audio_output {
type "pipe"
name "brutefir"
command "brutefir -nodefault /path/to/brutefir.conf"
format "44100:32:2"
}
################

Thanks Tim for all your good work.

Further to comments in #98 about fixing BBC Radio m3u8 streams in Moode v2.0. I wonder if there is something we/I could do to fix it before Glastonbury ... or the Proms?

If I point my Pi2 and Pi-Dac+ to BBC Radio 3 the mpd.log shows the error:
mad: input/Input does not appear to be a mp3 bit stream.
The URL: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/liv...lcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
It streams fine with CVLC and mplayer2 from a command line.

I understand that mpd >= 0.19.2 is required for m3u8 so I've tried Volumio's pre-compiled version of mpd 0.19.9, details from:
https://volumio.org/forum/mpd-update-available-t3200.html

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libmikmod3
wget http://repo.volumio.org/Packages/Mpd/mpd_0.19.9-2_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i mpd_0.19.9-2_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install (to fix the broken dependencies)

I've also compiled mpd 0.19.9 on my desktop Mint 17.1 (64bit), kernel v3.13.0-37-generic with the same mpd.log result.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

*Everything needs to be resampled to a single predefined sample rate, since mpd wouldn't be able to swap filters on-the-fly.
*As a workaround you could define different pipe outputs supporting different samplerates. You'd be able to switch manually at least.
*You might have to play with buffer settings to get it properly working.

################

Pooh, I´m not sure, if I´m able to do this. Since I never managed to learn linux - don´t know...

But thank you

Luki

Thanks Tim for all your good work.

Further to comments in #98 about fixing BBC Radio m3u8 streams in Moode v2.0. I wonder if there is something we/I could do to fix it before Glastonbury ... or the Proms?

If I point my Pi2 and Pi-Dac+ to BBC Radio 3 the mpd.log shows the error:
mad: input/Input does not appear to be a mp3 bit stream.
The URL: http://a.files.bbci.co.uk/media/liv...lcast/hls/uk/sbr_high/ak/bbc_radio_three.m3u8
It streams fine with CVLC and mplayer2 from a command line.

I understand that mpd >= 0.19.2 is required for m3u8 so I've tried Volumio's pre-compiled version of mpd 0.19.9, details from:
https://volumio.org/forum/mpd-update-available-t3200.html

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libmikmod3
wget http://repo.volumio.org/Packages/Mpd/mpd_0.19.9-2_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i mpd_0.19.9-2_armhf.deb
sudo apt-get -f install (to fix the broken dependencies)

I've also compiled mpd 0.19.9 on my desktop Mint 17.1 (64bit), kernel v3.13.0-37-generic with the same mpd.log result.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

The code is almost frozen for 2.0. I'm just cleaning things up a bit ahead of making the changes to web site for the release, so there is no time for a tested MPD update.

With regard to m3u8 support, send an email to tim at tcmods dot org and lets see what can be done "on the side" before Glastonbury, I'm always up for a challenge! :)

Regards,
Tim

I had a strange issue yesterday evening with the Playback:

I continued to play with the songs I added the day before yesterday.
While I listened to the music I added further albums (dsf albums from the "Browse" page and some other albums from the "Library" page) to the playlist.

After a while the music stopped once the first "new"added song had been reached. Clicking on the play symbol didn´t solve it. The song didn´t start to play. Then I started with
(i) refreshing the Playback page
(ii) deleting the "old" songs from playlist and rebooting

So far I had no luck..music wouldn´t start to play. Therefore I continued my troubleshootng with
(iii) deleting all remainng "new" added songs from the playlist and "Add & Play" new albums from the Library => still no reaction. No music at all.
I went back to the "Playlist" page and hit the play button but nothing happened ...still no music.

Anyone knows why this happens and what needs to be done to solve this?
Do I need to change something in my settings for instance?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Last edited:
Hi,

Moode release 2.0 is available for download at tcmods.org :)

This release includes Logarithmic volume control with adjustable slope and max volume capping for audio devices with hardware volume controllers, support for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ and Hifimediy ES9023 audio devices, selectable album art lookup methods and new Linux kernel 3.18.14 with improved ALSA audio subsystem, updated I2S overlay drivers, and other fixes and improvements.

Also included in this release are some great new radio stations and a variety of updates and bug fixes. Refer to the attached release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,
tcmods.org
Moode on Twitter
TC

======================
2.0 Release 2015-06-26
======================

New features

- NEW: Logarithmic volume curve for hardware volume controllers
- NEW: Support for IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+ and Hifimediy ES9023 I2S audio devices
- NEW: Album art lookup methods: Default, EAC, Embedded (place holder), All
- NEW: Linux kernel 3.18.14+ (default) and 3.18.11+ added to kernel select

Media

- NEW: Africa Goes Angeln
- NEW: BBC Radio 3
- NEW: France Inter Paris (FIP)
- NEW: Radio New Zealand - Concert
- NEW: Radio New Zealand - National

Updates

- UPD: Improved volume mute management
- UPD: Add Volume settings to Audio info popup
- UPD: Coding for ALSA changes in new kernels
- UPD: Changes to /boot/config.txt for new kernels
- UPD: Instrument Library load with debug logger
- UPD: Streamline main menu, place config page links on popup
- UPD: Add on-demand help for ALSA volume field on System Config
- UPD: Increase duration of Notify message for kernel update
- UPD: Add "x20" and "G1V5" to MPD Audio device friendly name logic
- UPD: Add PHP www-data user to visudo (ALL) so ALSA cmds execute
- UPD: Drop support for kernels 3.10.36 and 3.12.26
- UPD: Add audio device descriptions to database: Hifimediy ES9023, IQaudIO Pi-DigiAMP+,
- UPD: cont. LH Labs Geek Pulse X-Fi, Perreaux Audiant 80i, Schitt Modi 2
- UPD: Add first/last page btns to Customization settings popup
- UPD: Edit readme/setup instructions to reflect changes
- UPD: Change URL and add alias logos for NTS Live London radio station
- UPD: Add work-around logic to handle missing metadata from NTS Live and FIP stations
- UPD: Add major feature idea contributors to About popup

Bug fixes

- FIX: UPnP renderer sometimes disappears from JRiver list
- FIX: Bad formatting for 22.05 and 32 kHz Output rates on Audio info popup
- FIX: 384 kHz sample rate not being parsed for Audio info popup
- FIX: Kernel select not showing Notify message after kernel change submitted
- FIX: Incorrect right margin of "aftertext" on controls that have help/info button
- FIX: Audio device description lookup key missing for RME Fireface UCX
- FIX: Automatic unmute for IQaudIO Pi-AMP+ not working on Pi-B+ machine
- FIX: Mixer name not being set correctly for Hifiberry Amp(Amp+)

Attachments

• player-r20-1.png
    player-r20-1.png
    229 KB · Views: 293
  • player-r20-4.png
    player-r20-4.png
    152.2 KB · Views: 291
  • player-r20-5.png
    player-r20-5.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 287
  • moode-r20-radio-stns.png
    moode-r20-radio-stns.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 283
Many thanks for the work you put into this!!! I will check it out this weekend.

I have been having some issues with my Pi2, which I believe doesn't have anything to do with Moode but just the pi in general. I keep getting kernel panic every so often. At first I think it happenend when I hot plugged my wifi adapter, but it has also happend when I accidently :) turn off the power on the power strip I have it plugged into before turning it off in the software first. This corrupts the SD card.

Is there a fix that can prevevent this or at least correct the SD card without having the re-image the SD from scratch?

*You might have to play with buffer settings to get it Sworking.

Soundcheck - what's your opinion on brutefir vs ecasound with ladspa plugins?

Sweet ! Downloaded and running on Pi2b now.

New compact menu is very intuitive and practical :)
Custom config populated for my Perreaux when selected :)
Will try PiB and the HiFimediy i2s next.

Out of interest and as I have not used it before...how does Ramplay work ? I'm guessing I add files to that folder and select it as a source...must experiment..but what are the parameters it operates under ?

Cheers,
Bob.

I'm running on Rpi B. Such a shame the new released and previous one does not work with my current dac Ifi Audio Micro iDSD. This dac works with volumio and runeaudio on the get go.

Would love to try moode as it has a simpler interface.
Any suggestion what could be done ?

Many thanks.

Sweet ! Downloaded and running on Pi2b now.

New compact menu is very intuitive and practical :)
Custom config populated for my Perreaux when selected :)
Will try PiB and the HiFimediy i2s next.

Out of interest and as I have not used it before...how does Ramplay work ? I'm guessing I add files to that folder and select it as a source...must experiment..but what are the parameters it operates under ?

Cheers,
Bob.

Hi,

RAMPLAY is a folder that appears when the Browse panel lists all the folders defined under /var/lib/mpd/music even folders that have no music. This sometimes happens after first time add of a music source & MPD database update.

root@rp3:~# ls -l /var/lib/mpd/music
total 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 Jan 31 17:02 music -> /var/lib/mpd/music
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jul 13 2013 NAS -> /mnt/NAS/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Apr 8 2014 RAMPLAY -> /run/shm
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Mar 10 07:13 USB -> /mnt/USB
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 9 10:32 USB2 -> /mnt/USB2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 9 20:14 USB3 -> /mnt/USB3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 9 20:14 USB4 -> /mnt/USB4
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 Jun 25 20:36 WEBRADIO

The RAMPLAY feature looks like it was partially implemented at one time in the player, but then pieces of the code commented out at some point, except that the MPD folder and boot time config remained. It really needs to be removed in its entirety since I don't think all the code is there to begin with...

On MPD config screen, click RESTART MPD service to reset the folder list on Browse panel to only those that actually have music :)

Regards,
Tim

I'm running on Rpi B. Such a shame the new released and previous one does not work with my current dac Ifi Audio Micro iDSD. This dac works with volumio and runeaudio on the get go.

Would love to try moode as it has a simpler interface.
Any suggestion what could be done ?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Send email to tim at tcmods dot org and I'll help troubleshoot :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,
The RAMPLAY feature looks like it was partially implemented at one time in the player, but then pieces of the code commented out at some point, except that the MPD folder and boot time config remained. It really needs to be removed in its entirety since I don't think all the code is there to begin with...
Regards,
Tim

So when I add tracks to the Ramplay folder then subsequently browse and play them they are simply being played from just another folder rather than being loaded into and played from (Ram) memory...?

Edit...Maybe ramplay does work ?.....so I grew my moode 'home' partition to the card max 8gig then tried to load a large file to ramplay folder (1.5gig) and got an error saying not enough space...(300Mb appears to be maximum)
Then I added to ramplay a file under 300Mb and played it.
I rebooted and the file showed but would not play and once I refreshed sources it disappeared....
This would seem to indicate that the file was fully loaded into, and playing from, ram memory..
Thus Pi2B can play up to 300Mb from ram ?

Last edited:
Well, I should have done this first but a bit slow today...:eek:
ssh into Moode player and run 'top'.
Note memory usage then add files to ramplay folder and note memory usage increase...:)

Would I be safe to assume that Ramplay does work...:)

Note that this is all on a RPi2B

Last edited:
Well, I should have done this first but a bit slow today...:eek:
ssh into Moode player and run 'top'.
Note memory usage then add files to ramplay folder and note memory usage increase...:)

Would I be safe to assume that Ramplay does work...:)

Note that this is all on a RPi2B

Hi,

Webradio is an on-disk folder so anything added to it will persist. The RAMPLAY folder only exists in memory and so its contents won't persist after reboot.

I'm pretty sure, after briefly looking at the code, that a "ram play" feature was only partially implemented. The rp_() functions have a lot of 'debug' and '/dev' code, and there is no user interface for configuring it or managing songs in the folder.

Regards,
Tim

Webradio is an on-disk folder so anything added to it will persist. The RAMPLAY folder only exists in memory and so its contents won't persist after reboot.
Yes, and the experiments confirm this...so RAMPLAY is in memory and is 256Mb from what I have found so far.
This was probably set for RPiB and would benefit from being increased for RPi2B :)
Another 500Mb potentially, given the increase in memory on RPi2B. Is there a config line in the code I could experiment with...?

there is no user interface for configuring it or managing songs in the folder.
This appears to be the default and makes sense as Ramplay by definition only works as a one-shot event. Load from file manager of a connected PC then update within Moode and play.
At 768Mb this would allow playback, from ram, of a single LP side ripped at 24/96 and played in consume mode....then reloading ram for 'side b' :) just like analogue days !

Possibly the dev code was to enable whole files to be moved from storage into ram prior to playing and not followed up on (yet ?).

Ramplay does work, though limited in file size (and lacking a player based interface ). :)

Last edited:
Yes, and the experiments confirm this...so RAMPLAY is in memory and is 256Mb from what I have found so far.
This was probably set for RPiB and would benefit from being increased for RPi2B :) Another 500Mb potentially, given the increase in memory on RPi2B. Is there a config line I could experiment with...?

This appears to be the default and makes sense as Ramplay by definition only works as a one-shot event. Load from file manager of a connected PC then update within Moode and play.
Possibly the dev code was to enable whole files to be moved from storage into ram prior to playing and not followed up on (yet ?).

Ramplay does work, though limited in file size (and lacking an interface ). :)

Hi,

Yes, ram play was an unfinished feature in the original code. Not planning to implement it although I understand the appeal of such a feature :)

Tim

Hi,

I have MoOde v2.0 up and running, just one question with the previous versions I liked to have the volume set to 0dB at 2v which I configured alsamixer with pcm set at 86, gain at 100, and boost at 100. With MoOde v2.0 the first setting has gone from alsamixer so what is the correct setting within MoOde to give 0dB?

Many thanks for a great player.

Duncan