Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi

I haven't gone through this thread yet, nor have I tried your app yet.
I came here after I was recommended Moode, when expressing my frustration with Volumio. Many of us use use large (tens of thousands of files) collections/playlists. IMO, for that usage mode, Volumio is a waste of time.

IMO, foobar is THE audio player. What made me move to it, coming from Winamp, was that Winamp was very slow to search playlists. foobar searches instantaneously in huge playlists. If you can achieve that same user experience, your player is good.

I'm flashing the image right now and will come back with opinions.

As promised, here's the feedback. It seems somehow better, more stable.

Though it doesn't work with my CM6631A-based USB to S/PDIF converter ( CM6631A USB to SPDIF Coaxial Optical 24/192 24bit 192kHz DAC Sound Card Finished Board-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group ) which works with Kodi. It doesn't show in audio devices list.

The search is also very slow (read unusable) with the 16k (default size) playlist.
And all the tracks show as "Streaming source - radio station". I'd very much preferred to see the file name there.

As promised, here's the feedback. It seems somehow better, more stable.

Though it doesn't work with my CM6631A-based USB to S/PDIF converterr ( CM6631A USB to SPDIF Coaxial Optical 24/192 24bit 192kHz DAC Sound Card Finished Board-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group ) which works with Kodi. It doesn't show in audio devices list.

The search is also very slow (read unusable) with the 16k (default size) playlist.
And all the tracks show as "Streaming source - radio station". I'd very much preferred to see the file name there.

Hi,

(1) it doesn't work with my CM6631A-based USB to S/PDIF converte

Send email to tim at tcmods dot org and I can help troubleshoot. Do u know a little Linux ssh?

(2) It doesn't show in audio devices list.

This list contains audio devices that work well with Moode according to user or vendor feedback on the forums, via email or Moode Twitter Feed. I maintain this list by hand :)

(3) The search is also very slow

The UI runs in Browser so performance can depend on Browsers implementation of Javascript engine. I ran tests months ago with 17K+ track ALAC collection and don't recall search issue with big playlists but will check this again. What Browser are u using?

(4) all the tracks show as "Streaming source - radio station"

This is a bug since release 1.9. "Streaming source" should only show up for radio stations that do not transmit Title metadata, but it is showing up for song files without a Title tag. I'll see if I can fix this in release 2.1

Regards,
tcmods.org
Moode on Twitter
Tim

Hi,

The feature coding is complete for SD Card expansion :) A local folder named SDCARD will be part of MPD folder set. This will enable big SD Cards to be used for storing music! A test release will be available next week for those that would like to try it out.

Screen shots attached.

Regards,
TC

Attachments

• moode-r21-sdcardexp-yes.png
    moode-r21-sdcardexp-yes.png
    141.3 KB · Views: 248
  • moode-r21-sdcardexp-msg.png
    moode-r21-sdcardexp-msg.png
    147.9 KB · Views: 257
  • moode-r21-sdcardexp-stats.png
    moode-r21-sdcardexp-stats.png
    24.3 KB · Views: 239
SD card expansion looks great... another way to get around the shared usb/network bus..:)

A hardware question for anyone .... I am experimenting with powering my Pi from a battery source (Porta-Pi....:)) and wonder what the effect will be when the batteries run down ?
Will there be problems with output glitches/noise and/or sd card trouble ?? Any comments....

Here is what I am using currently...other than the batteries themselves the other items cost peanuts.:)
5V USB DC 7V 24V to 5V 3A Step Down Buck KIS3R33S Module Arduino Than LM2596 | eBay
8 X AA 2 ROWS OF 4 SQUARE Battery Holder | Holders, Clips & Snaps | Storage/Batteries | Power Products Electrical | PRODUCTS | PH9209 | Jaycar Electronics New Zealand
Sanyo Eneloop Batteries
USB Charger Doctor Voltage Current Meter Battery Tester Power Detector | eBay

Hi,

(1) it doesn't work with my CM6631A-based USB to S/PDIF converte

Send email to tim at tcmods dot org and I can help troubleshoot. Do u know a little Linux ssh?
Will do as soon as I finish this message.
Yes, I can manage SSH, I work with computers for a living.

The UI runs in Browser so performance can depend on Browsers implementation of Javascript engine. I ran tests months ago with 17K+ track ALAC collection and don't recall search issue with big playlists but will check this again. What Browser are u using?
Yes, I understand that's the browser that does the job but I was hoping for a workaround :(
I'm using Chrome. I'll check it again and come back with details (playlist size, actual timing etc).

This is a bug since release 1.9. "Streaming source" should only show up for radio stations that do not transmit Title metadata, but it is showing up for song files without a Title tag. I'll see if I can fix this in release 2.1
That would be great! :)

Last edited:
A few more things. I tried toying with some mpd.conf settings, namely:
max_playlist_length "131072"
max_command_list_size "65536"
max_output_buffer_size "65536"

With these, if I select "replace, add and play" on my network source, music starts playing but I can see no playlist. If I revert back to default values, I can see the 16k default playlist (my collection contains 56k tracks).

A strange thing. I can see song names for some files, although I checked with foobar and they contain no tags. And, of course, the search result displays non-empty results only for those, as it doesn't search in directory/files names. And, since we're here, if you decide to display the file name for untagged files, displaying the containing directory too would help. The F3 (search playlist) command in foobar (CTRL+J in Winamp behaves the same) also searches directory names. Example: if you have Some Artist - Some Album\06. Some Song.flac and you type "Song Artist" in the edit box, the song will come up. It searches for all words in the dir names, file names and tags, order of keywords irrelevant. I find that VERY useful.

One more thing. In one of the forum links that are posted on the Moode home page, a member tried setting, and I quote
1. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the max_execution_time from 30 to 60.
2. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the max_input_vars from 10000 to 30000.
3. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the memory_limit from 128M to 384M.
4. In /etc/nginx/nginx.conf, increased the worker_processes from 1 to 2.

to get the Library tab to work. Mine doesn't either (nothing is displayed), although I did the above (I now reverted back to the default values).

Last edited:
A few more things. I tried toying with some mpd.conf settings, namely:
max_command_list_size "65536"
max_output_buffer_size "65536"

With these, if I select "replace, add and play" on my network source, music starts playing but I can see no playlist. If I revert back to default values, I can see the 16k default playlist (my collection contains 56k tracks).

A strange thing. I can see song names for some files, although I checked with foobar and they contain no tags. And, of course, the search result displays non-empty results only for those, as it doesn't search in directory/files names. And, since we're here, if you decide to display the file name for untagged files, displaying the containing directory too would help. The F3 (search playlist) command in foobar (CTRL+J in Winamp behaves the same) also searches directory names. Example: if you have Some Artist - Some Album\06. Some Song.flac and you type "Song Artist" in the edit box, the song will come up. It searches for all words in the dir names, file names and tags, order of keywords irrelevant. I find that VERY useful.

One more thing. In one of the forum links that are posted on the Moode home page, a member tried setting, and I quote
1. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the max_execution_time from 30 to 60.
2. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the max_input_vars from 10000 to 30000.
3. In /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini, increased the memory_limit from 128M to 384M.
4. In /etc/nginx/nginx.conf, increased the worker_processes from 1 to 2.

to get the Library tab to work. Mine doesn't either (nothing is displayed), although I did the above (I now reverted back to the default values).

Hi,

Regarding the parms below

The default for max_playlist_length according to MPD manual is 16384 songs.

max_input_vars from 10000 to 30000

The PHP max_input_vars parm controls how much "data" can be transferred client -> server in that direction. As far as I can tell, only the Library add or add (all) actions would be affected and only if the number of songs covered by the add or add (all) actions was greater than ~10000. This could possibly happen with an untagged collection that was internally tagged by the Library loader as "Unknown".

to get the Library tab to work. Mine doesn't either (nothing is displayed),

The Library requires Artist, Album and Title tags to be useful. Without tags everything gets internally tagged by the Library loader routine as "Unknown" however even with tags there is a bug somewhere in the Library loader code or system services that is causing "blank library panel" for some users with large collections.

I'm working on finding the bug but since I can't reproduce it on my end with my own collection it is going to take a number of debugging cycles with some users and their collections in order to track it down.

Maybe someone who is having the problem will mail me a HDD containing their collection. Debugging would be much, much faster :)

Regards,
Tim

Tim
Further on tags. For me, any music downloaded from the iTunes Store and any cd ripped withiTunes prior to about version 12 shows up as a streaming source in the UI. I looked at the tags with Tag Scanner and they all have the requisite information, artist, title etc. one cd ripped on iTunes 12.1.9 had two songs with titles not coming along. Weird?

A hardware question for anyone .... I am experimenting with powering my Pi from a battery source (Porta-Pi....:)) and wonder what the effect will be when the batteries run down ?
Will there be problems with output glitches/noise and/or sd card trouble ?? Any comments....
[/url]

I have started to use an Anker E4 battery to power it. Saw some people that used it for SSD drivers with great results, and I can confirm it works well with the RPI2 as well. I make sure to not run the the battery to zero so I don't now exactly what will happen, but I know from experience that if you unplug the power from the RPI when using an USB DAC, it corrupts the SD card. Same thing happens when hot plugging USB wifi dongles. I had to reformat and re-write the image to get it to work again - I read that some people were able to fix it but that wasn't working for me.

Tim - great job on the update! It works really well for me and I especially like the interface on Google Chrome on Android phone. Like it better than using chrome on ipad or PC laptop.

Being able to store on the SD card will be great!!! Can you add pipe as output plugin? If not, would I "wreck" anything compiling the mpd myself?

I'd like to thank Tim for taking the time to reply to my email, great support.

Here's another very small bug: when changing the volume to a setting above the warning threshold, the warning box is displayed even if volume is disabled.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment!

When volume control is disabled via MPD config page, the knob volume level will always reset to 0 after any change, and yes the warning popup happens if the changed level exceeds the limit.

This behavior is just a stop-gap until I figure out a way to actually disable the volume knob (gray it out and disable input) when MPD volume control = disabled. This I think would b a better way to handle the "disabled" case.

Regards,
TC

Tim
Further on tags. For me, any music downloaded from the iTunes Store and any cd ripped withiTunes prior to about version 12 shows up as a streaming source in the UI. I looked at the tags with Tag Scanner and they all have the requisite information, artist, title etc. one cd ripped on iTunes 12.1.9 had two songs with titles not coming along. Weird?

Hi,

Very odd.

My music collection is mostly CD rips to ALAC using iTunes prior to version 12 but it also includes some iTunes AAC downloads, a few other formats for example FLAC and AIFF, and CD's ripped to ALAC using latest version 12.x

Please zip up a few of the files and either email me the zip or a download link to the zip and I'll test them out. Email to tim at tcmods dot org.

Regards,
Tim

Tim - great job on the update! It works really well for me and I especially like the interface on Google Chrome on Android phone. Like it better than using chrome on ipad or PC laptop.

Being able to store on the SD card will be great!!! Can you add pipe as output plugin? If not, would I "wreck" anything compiling the mpd myself?

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment and glad that its working well for u :)

MPD output plugins are certainly something that can be feature coded. Whats the usage scenario for 'pipe'?

If u custom compile MPD, email tim at tcmods dot org since I would like to do same for one of the 2.x series releases. Latest MPD version will probably require some "adjustments" in moode :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,
MPD output plugins are certainly something that can be feature coded. Whats the usage scenario for 'pipe'?

The pipe is to get ecasound to process the sound for cross-over or equalization for active speakers. Check out this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/274331-ladspa-plugin-programming-linux-audio-crossovers.html

Raspberry pi may with the usb bottleneck may not be the best DSP solution for hi-rez files as reported in the thread, but I believe it may work OK with lower bit rates. Incorporating a user-interface that would allow setting the cross-over parameters, etc. directly in a player would be pretty neat (hint ;))

Another interesting feature that would make your player unique would be to incorporate ABX testing to allow testing different settings, files and maybe even other components down the chain. Richard Taylor (who also was the inspiration for cross-overs via mpd/ecasound) posted some code for a script to make this possible on his blog: An R Script for ABX Testing | Richard's Stuff