Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi Tim,

How to set native DSD only playback ? No DoP or on the fly conversion.

I'm confusing about the DSD over PCM (DoP) setting, right now set to 'No' for DSD playback.

Native DSD is used automatically if supported in Linux/ALSA and DAC.
- Yes = DoP is used if native DSD support is not available.
- No = DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion is used if native DSD support is not available.

I'm using the RPi-DAC I2S driver for es9018k2m i2s dac, and this driver is not a native driver for es9018 or es9018k2m. It seems that my current setting is not a real native DSD playback.

My es9018k2m dac is capable to play native DSD with xmos usb to i2s converter and foobar2000.

@cctv628

for DSD via MPD, see http://www.musicpd.org/doc/user/index.html:

Chapter 6, Advanced usage:

Direct Stream Digital (DSD)

DSD (Direct Stream Digital) is a digital format that stores audio as a sequence of single-bit values at a very high sampling rate.

MPD understands the file formats dff and dsf. There are three ways to play back DSD:

Native DSD playback. Requires ALSA 1.0.27.1 or later, a sound driver/chip that supports DSD and of course a DAC that supports DSD.

DoP (DSD over PCM) playback. This wraps DSD inside fake 24 bit PCM according to the DoP standard. Requires a DAC that supports DSD. No support from ALSA and the sound chip required (except for bit-perfect 24 bit PCM support).

Convert DSD to PCM on-the-fly.

Native DSD playback is used automatically if available. DoP is only used if enabled explicitly using the dop option, because there is no way for MPD to find out whether the DAC supports it. DSD to PCM conversion is the fallback if DSD cannot be used directly.
=====================
I hope this answers your question.

Hi Tim,

How to set native DSD only playback ? No DoP or on the fly conversion.

I'm confusing about the DSD over PCM (DoP) setting, right now set to 'No' for DSD playback.

Native DSD is used automatically if supported in Linux/ALSA and DAC.
- Yes = DoP is used if native DSD support is not available.
- No = DSD to PCM on-the-fly conversion is used if native DSD support is not available.

I'm using the RPi-DAC I2S driver for es9018k2m i2s dac, and this driver is not a native driver for es9018 or es9018k2m. It seems that my current setting is not a real native DSD playback.

My es9018k2m dac is capable to play native DSD with xmos usb to i2s converter and foobar2000.

Hi,

Native DSD support in Moode requires the following:

(1) ALSA version 1.0.29
(2) MPD compiled against ALSA 1.0.29 libs + MPD requires an additional patch.

Here is more information:
https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/blob/master/README.md

It's on my to-do list to work on this I just don't know when I'll get to it.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Native DSD support in Moode requires the following:

(1) ALSA version 1.0.29
(2) MPD compiled against ALSA 1.0.29 libs + MPD requires an additional patch.

Here is more information:
https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/blob/master/README.md

It's on my to-do list to work on this I just don't know when I'll get to it.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,

This seems a USB based DSD playback solution, DSD data signal go through USB port first, and then the xmos chip drives a DSD capable DAC.

On a Raspberry Pi, the DSD signal can go through the GPIO to drive a DSD capable DAC, without using USB.

Is it possible for MPD and ALSA to drive a DSD capable DAC through GPIO with suitable DAC driver ?

Thx.

Hi Tim,

This seems a USB based DSD playback solution, DSD data signal go through USB port first, and then the xmos chip drives a DSD capable DAC.

On a Raspberry Pi, the DSD signal can go through the GPIO to drive a DSD capable DAC, without using USB.

Is it possible for MPD and ALSA to drive a DSD capable DAC through GPIO with suitable DAC driver ?

Thx.

Hi,

By GPIO I assume u are referring to I2S bus interface. I2S signals are essentially PCM so i don't see how its possible to transmit 1-bit PDM over I2S bus.

Do you have a reference link that describes this?

-Tim

Hi,

Here's a few MoodeCase panel shots :) Perfectly machined for precise enclosure and component fit.

Front panel configurations include with and w/o RE, materials include powder coat Metal, clear or dark gray transparent Acrylic. Rear panels are powder coat metal and come in DAC, AMP and DIY layouts.

-Tim

Attachments

• MoodeCaseAMP2.png
    MoodeCaseAMP2.png
    45.8 KB · Views: 665
  • MoodeCaseDAC2.png
    MoodeCaseDAC2.png
    772.6 KB · Views: 666
  • MoodeCaseRE2.png
    MoodeCaseRE2.png
    379.4 KB · Views: 633
Hi,

Here's a few MoodeCase panel shots :) Perfectly machined for precise enclosure and component fit.

Front panel configurations include with and w/o RE, materials include powder coat Metal, clear or dark gray transparent Acrylic. Rear panels are powder coat metal and come in DAC, AMP and DIY layouts.

-Tim

My monitor might be bust, or my eyes have exploded.....:)
Or you've used the Salvador Dali filter on those shots.... ???? :D

Hi,

Working on a new audio-centric distro "MoodeOS" based on J-Lite :)

Great audio, high performance, security, minimal footprint supporting the entire family of Raspberry Pi boards from Pi-Zero to the newest Pi-3, and since this is being designed and built from scratch, there is an opportunity to include some new audio capabilities for example Squeezelite renderer.

Input welcome!

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moodeos_logo1.png
    moodeos_logo1.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 305
Hi,

Great audio, high performance, security, minimal footprint supporting the entire family of Raspberry Pi boards from Pi-Zero to the newest Pi-3, and since this is being designed and built from scratch, there is an opportunity to include some new audio capabilities for example Squeezelite renderer.

Input welcome!

Regards,
Tim

Oh, great news, you're working hard on it (I like it). So MA 3.0 got on a higher level?

MoodeOS

Hi,

Input welcome!

Regards,
Tim

Tim, Wow. Looking forward to trying it for sound quality. One request: to use more of the 1GB ram of the PI2 and PI3 to buffer music, so that more of hi res music can be buffered before playback.

Rick

Last edited:
Hi Tim,
Great news concerning MoodeOS!
I have been testing music server solutions for the past 5 years now and have gone through quite a few, spending no less than 2-3 months using each, just to make sure I get the hang of it.
To this date, the most user-friendly I have found has been Daphile, only downside is that it has not been compiled for SBCs and there seem to be no plans to do so in the future.

It would be great if MoodeOS could replicate some of the features found in Daphile, starting with the way the navigation is designed as well as the search features (only thing I could find missing was no option to search within a playlist).

Best,

Nick

Hi Tim,

Thanks for all of that :)

If possible and if not made already :

- Android remote app
- selecting I2S output for the Pi's board (already made iirc)
- selecting sampling mode : auto or forced (oversampling on the fly) : 88 up to 384 MhZ ? (dunno if Pi layout is able of more than 192 via it's I2S dedicated output on the 40 pins plug ???)
- FIR filtering (RePhase (pos member), BruteFir ? GUI to load a correction .txt file from a third measurement tool (like when calibrating a micro)?
- DNLA ?

About the 64 bits enable of the Pi3, is there any usefull need to oversample x64 for 32 bits depth like is doing J-River or Audirvana with their patented algorythm (btw not sure there is ram enough for that on the Pi 3)... just athought as I didn't understand the real utility of that (numeric volume) ?! Nore how it works ?! Is it really possible to apply this to 16 bits material of our most Red book materials ????

cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

I assume J-Lite means Raspbian Jessie Lite, but you know what they say about "assume"!

Input welcome!

Regards,
Tim

Built from scratch? Where do you get all this energy?

Regards,
Kent