Software processing of audio files - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2014, 08:06 AM   #1
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Software processing of audio files

I could see that it may be a need to be discussed some aspects of the software involved processing of the audio files. That because I think to start this thread and open this subject to the interested ones.
Mainly it may be about the digital/software processing by and on computer of what it may have connection with audio field, and why not, about the PC based audio...
So, be welcome and join these discussions here!
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:23 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I refer to the post of Extreme_Boky quoted here:
"I've tried what you suggested, with Audition and RF64 high bit-rate, high sampling rate conversion. To me at least, the upsampled file produced loss of focus and mushy bass. There was some spatial expansion, but the loss of focus and sense of "uncertainty" were quite unpleasant to me. However, I can see how this Audition' processing and upconversion can sound interesting... Conversion to flac did not make much difference, but I preferred the Flac fronted encoder for Win 7 64 bit compared to Foobar...

I used ProTools before and just installed Adobe Audition to give it a go. I must say that I was impressed by Audition (!!) Very fast, intuitive, with great options, in particular cacheing and switch between two or more file versions. Excellent software.

Nick"
May I ask what hardware you have to playback from your computer?
I can notice right opposite of what you describe as negative aspects of this processing of audio files...
Can you share more informations about your FLAC encoder you refer to in your post?
And a general question, what it may be negative with Foobar? Or what it may be better with another software/players and why?
The conversion by itself (wav to FLAC) it may not have any improving impact for the quality, but only reduce it the files size to a reasonable one, in a matter to not alternate too much the original file...
Indeed, Audition (based mainly on Cool Edit and improved further to work on 64 bit systems, as some another improvements), is a very good and complex audio processing software. But sometimes, I need to use Cool Edit for some options it were removed it from the new Audition...

At last I think that in connection with the suggested procedure to improve the quality of audio files (posted in Oppo`s BDP105 - discussions, upgrading, mods...), it is not only about the up sampling of the files, but processing these files in 64 bit it may be another factor of improving.
So, maybe is necessary we may develop/comment a little bit more these aspects?

Last edited by Coris; 23rd February 2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:44 AM   #3
fas42 is offline fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks for kicking off the thread, Coris ...

My suggestion to Extreme_Boky also is to try various players, and spend some time fine tuning the playback settings, this can have major impact.

In my own situation I know that a lite version of Nero, with no special settings works best. Also, 24 bit files work better than 16 bit, slightly - but 32 bit versions are a big mistake, this drops the quality quite significantly. And, no on the fly processing, so direct playback of FLAC or other lossless, compressed files will make things worse - just normal WAV files, always.
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The playback equipment don't make a difference, but to get it out of equation: it included professional audio console that I have with me at the moment and the USB to I2S high sample rate / bit rate capable converter followed by capable DAC. Some 6 or so years ago I up-sampled CD quality files to 24/96 and 24/192 and felt the same loss of focus, bass softening and general "confusion". I decided not to touch original 16/44 recorded files ever again.

The only reason why I tried upsampling this time is the fact that i have Adobe Audition - but had never installed it + I kind of forgotten about my previous disappointment.

Recording straight to 24/96 or higher sample rates is superior to 16/44 sound, but up-sampling of 16/44 material to whatever using even professional software and equipment is just not working for me.

I don't have explanation why Flac frontend worked better for me... Foobar uses the same exec.. The wav's sound better anyway, I just tried Flacing them for the sake of it (and the fact that i was ending with half a gig files after I processed them using high bit rate and sample rate settings)

Nick
Old 23rd February 2014, 11:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I experienced a similar situation, when I converted to FLAC and got a huge (not normal) converted file size. I do not know exactly what it was the circumstances to lead to a such result... I think it was a reconverting in some way... But I never happen again since that time... So, maybe it was an accidental result.

I have also converted/upsampled hi. res. recordings with positive results. I never registered regression in quality.
One may know a little detail about FLAC (if not already known). There are many years since FLAC software/codec it were not updated (v. 1.2). In the last time the FLAC developers finally came out with a newer version (1.3). As the figures show, it may not be a spectacular progress, but anyway there are some improvements. This facility to be converted to FLAC the 64 bit files (wav) is a progress.
Foobar have implemented very fast this new FLAC version and its converting option.
So Extreme_Boky, you may give it a try...

There is a subjective portion in appreciation of such results, but anyway, I can only notice improvements in applying the processing method described.
And, yes, I think is quite important the hardware used to playback the audio files... And not at last the OS working environment for the audio software, the drivers for the involved hardware, and so on...
But, as you describe, your hardware is high quality. It may be another reasons you could not notice improvements...
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Julf is offline Julf  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
I could see that it may be a need to be discussed some aspects of the software involved processing of the audio files.
What kind of processing and for what reason?
Old 23rd February 2014, 01:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
One may know a little detail about FLAC (if not already known). There are many years since FLAC software/codec it were not updated (v. 1.2). In the last time the FLAC developers finally came out with a newer version (1.3).
None of the improvements from 1.2 -> 1.3 affect sound quality in any way. FLAC is still a lossless codec.

Quote:
This facility to be converted to FLAC the 64 bit files (wav) is a progress.
64 bit files?

Quote:
There is a subjective portion in appreciation of such results, but anyway, I can only notice improvements in applying the processing method described.
Just make sure you listen with your ears and not your eyes (so make sure your listening tests are double-blind).
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:12 PM   #8
eganz1 is offline eganz1  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay, how about a "vacuum tube" effect.
I imagine adding some second harmonics, boosting the low bass, adding a little bit of background white noise…
Old 23rd February 2014, 02:15 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eganz1 View Post
Okay, how about a "vacuum tube" effect.
I imagine adding some second harmonics, boosting the low bass, adding a little bit of background white noise…
And some 50/100 Hz hum...
Old 23rd February 2014, 03:24 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julf View Post
64 bit files?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 64bit.jpg (335.5 KB, 288 views)
File Type: jpg 64bit2.jpg (114.3 KB, 279 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!