Software processing of audio files

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sufficient details so that I can simulate its behaviour in Spice, to understand better what parameters control its accuracy, under varying conditions. There are many, many people on this forum trying to understand how to interface the outputs of these devices to following circuitry for optimum behaviour - they're attempting to second guess black boxes ...

Sufficient details so that I can simulate its behaviour in Spice, to understand better what parameters control its accuracy, under varying conditions. There are many, many people on this forum trying to understand how to interface the outputs of these devices to following circuitry for optimum behaviour - they're attempting to second guess black boxes ...

Ah, yes. Fair enough. ESS isn't one of the most open, hobbyist-friendly manufacturers. Seems you need to be a significant customer to get access to detailed information.

My point is that generally there is no magic in the chips that you wouldn't be able to understand/guess if you are familiar with digital signal processing and DACs. The information they don't give out is mostly implementation details, not some mystical "magic sauce".

My issue is really with hobbyists who think they can second guess the chip designers and come up with "tricks" that the designers somehow overlooked (or misunderstood). Those hobbyists seem to think that DAC design is a process of experimentally putting together things that are learned through audiophile folklore until you somehow get a combination that sounds great - instead of understanding that modern DAC design is a complicated engineering process that is based on both a thorough understanding of the science involved, and well-developed, well-understood engineering practices.

Yes, I know something you put together yourself sounds better than something that came out of a factory. Because you built it yourself. I still enjoy the sound of some of the tube amps I built - but only because I feel proud I did it myself. I wouldn't claim they are in any way objectively better than a competently designed, professionally manufactured amp.

Ah, yes. Fair enough. ESS isn't one of the most open, hobbyist-friendly manufacturers. Seems you need to be a significant customer to get access to detailed information.

I would say opposite, regarding information they provide with. At least they open niches normally overlooked, like multibit s-d output noise dependent on status transitions. Their webminars are quite interesting and papers as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.