Will Wave IO work with Raspberry?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It only lists my USB disk and my portable keyboard and the hub.
And standard Microsystems corp,whatever that is?

Microsystems corp listing you can ignore, it is part of RPI. As I don't have Wave IO I cannot give you more info unfortunately.

One more thing you can try is lsusb with nothing connected to USB and compare result with only Wave IO connected.

Regards
Marko

waveio

Assuming yout OS is linux, I think I understood from the puppympd forums that the waveio has an issue with alsa/usb in that it many times fails to connect if the waveio is plugged into the usb (or powered if the waveio is already in the dac) when you turn on the computer. In other words, plug the usb cable into the dac or computer after the OS finishes booting and alsa is running. I turn the computer on first and just wait long enough to know alsa is running and then turn my dac on.

I tested this on puppympd on a regular amd motherboard on a nettop and the raspberrypi and in all of them I have to turn the dac (or plug the waveio into the usb if you are just testing the card by itself) after alsa is running.

You can test it easily by starting the computer without the waveio being plugged in and running "aplay --list-devices" in the command line. No "Luckit" usb connection will show. Then plug the waveio in and run the "aplay --list-devices" again and you will the "Luckit USB Audio 2.0" connected to the usb port that you configured it to. Now just reboot the rpi (with the waveio plugged in) and after alsa/mpd are running do the "aplay --list-devices" and you will see no Luckit connectect. Leaving the rpi on unplug and replug the waveio and do the "aplay --list-devices" again and you will see the Luckit connected.

My mpd entry is very simple, for bit perfect:

audio_output {
type "alsa"
name "USB Dac"
device "hw:0,0"
}

I have not updated puppympd nor raspyfi in a while, so this may be fixed by now in newer versions.

That should be all you need to get the waveio running under alsa with the rpi.

Hope this helps.

Hi.

1. You can't run a buspowered device on the PI. You need an external supply,
an active USB hub or you need to tweak the PI power rails (what I did).
The WaveIO will potentially knock the PI down if you try to run it
buspowered. You'll have 700mA in total. That leaves roughly 150 for
each USB port. It's usually less though. Depending on the device the
voltage can drop seriously much below 700mA load. That's a result of
the polyfuse.

2. To see if the device is recognized run following commands:

aplay -l

(if aplay does not exist you can install it with

Debian:
apt-get install alsa-utils

Arch:
pacman -S alsa-utils

)

or you run

cat /proc/asound/cards

3. To see if the kernel module , the driver is loaded run

lsmod | grep snd_usb_audio

4. To check if the device is seen on the bus you can try

lsusb

or more detailed

lsusb -v

Good luck

Hi.

Below listings are from RPi, running Arch, 3.10.9-1-Arch+ kernel and a buspower modification (WaveIO can be hooked up straight to USB port) .

Code:
[root@archpi ~]# aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 1: L20 [Luckit USB Audio 2.0], device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
[root@archpi ~]#

Code:
[root@archpi ~]# cat /proc/asound/cards
 1 [L20            ]: USB-Audio - Luckit USB Audio 2.0
                      Luckit Luckit USB Audio 2.0 at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3, high speed

Code:
[root@archpi ~]# lsmod | grep snd_usb
snd_usb_audio         116240  1 
snd_usbmidi_lib        18335  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_hwdep               5980  1 snd_usb_audio
snd_rawmidi            21341  1 snd_usbmidi_lib
snd_pcm                81453  2 snd_usb_audio
snd                    58850  8 snd_usb_audio,snd_hwdep,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_rawmidi,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_seq_device

Code:
[root@archpi ~]# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 20a0:4143 Clay Logic 
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp. LAN9500 Ethernet 10/100 Adapter / SMSC9512/9514 Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The Clay Logic !?!? is the WaveIO ( run lsmod -v )

Just to add the parameters that are supported by my old WaveIO:

Code:
[root@archpi ~]# cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 
Luckit Luckit USB Audio 2.0 at usb-bcm2708_usb-1.3, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:
  Interface 1
    Altset 1
    Format: S32_LE
    Channels: 2
    Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)
    Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000
    Data packet interval: 125 us

Hint: Make sure that your outputs (mpd/squeezelite/...) are confirgured with S32_LE, in case you choose the preferable hw:0,0 or hw:1,0 as output device !!

Cheers

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.