Will Wave IO work with Raspberry?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Hi phofman,

Thanks for taking the time out to check up on this.

The difference is that I have the MiniMax DAC Plus, a later model with an asynchronous USB board derived from M2Tech. The DAC needs drivers, which can be found on the M2Tech website but only for PC and OSX platforms.

There is a link to 3rd party unsupported Linux drivers, but I could not get the code to compile on my Debian/ARM architecture.

As a stopgap, I am using an old Soundblaster Live! external card as a USB-SPDIF converter. I used it purely as a test box since it needs no drivers, but as it happens it sounds surprisingly good, which makes me confident about the RPi as a music player front-end.

Yep, I've been through all the obvious options.

The 'C' code is indeed fairly straightforward - which makes it all the more frustrating. The compilation problem for me has been around the dependencies. It isn't necessary to rebuild the kernel, you can just build the driver separately within the distribution. But running the makefile fails, due to several missing header files. I spent a bit of time with it, but tired of the various web trawls to find what I needed. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be much of an audiophile RPi community with which to compare notes.

If I took a day or two off I'm sure I could fix this as I used to do this stuff day in day out a few years ago. But it's not really a priority, since the USB performance (experienced via my Mac Mini when I first bought the EE DAC) has hardly blown me away.

The SPDIF interface, even with the RPi and a crappy external soundcard in between for the conversion task, beats it hands down - more 'analoguey' and more resolution.

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest in this. I think there is loads of potential with using a RPi as a front end, and I'm already experimenting with DIY regulated power supplies and different MPD configs in order to squeeze the most out of this platform. Much for me still to learn, though.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.