Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

Joined 2011
Paid Member
A note for those who may be thinking of trying an alternative: I have been listening to MPD for a while now and I can say that I am very happy. It is not as user-friendly to setup, but the sound quality is fantastic, it is much faster than Daphile, and it does not omit music from my library if the tags are messed up.

Hey do you think Daphile would run on a PC duino?
OS Image Install Notes | pcDuino
I'm using a Celeron Nuc which works perfectly but would love to find a compatible mini PC board similar to a rasberry Pi that would work

pcDuino in an ARM too: Chapter 1: Hardware and Software Introductions of pcDuino | pcDuino

Hello
Has anyone got daphile going with a usb wifi dongle or any other way. And if so which one and how.
Thanks

I'm using a ralink-based pen... There are many on the market. Btw, it works like a HotSpot, really usefull in some cases.

Hello World, I ran over Daphile just two days ago and installed it on an Intel NUC, which worked fine. I'ts on a 1.5TB HDD inside the NUC, where I will also store the music. Now I'm testing it with only a few files. I mainly have FLACS and a few AAC and mp3 leftovers from my time with online music stores. My Hi-Fi system consists of two active loudspeakers (Nubert) with direct input of digital and analogue audio streams. I'm quite happy without an amp and DAC, and I don't miss them. Before I read about Daphile I had a JRiver Id kit (JRiver's MC on a Linux system USB stick) but wasn't very pleased with it: too complicated and not yet finished for a daily use (but costed money). I also tried a Raspberry Pi with a Wolfson audio card, but was unable to bring everything together, plus I didn't like the software that I tried with it. Also, I prefer a one-in-all-system. So, the NUC's just fine. I am pleased with the concept of Daphile, which is exactly what I was looking for: a headless system that I can install on a little PC to put it underneath the couch. My issues so far with Daphile are (and maybe one of is able to help me with one of them): - There is a rating function in Daphile, but it doesn't read the "Rating" tags of my files. Does anyone know how Daphile reads tags, and which? - How can I shut down Daphile? When I click on the "shut down" button, it restarts itself. It also restarts, when I press the NUC's shut down button; - I really "hate" it, when music managing software is not able to sort an artist's albums by year. This is something essential (iTunes needed some years for that too) and I would appreciate some efforts in that; - I don't understand how playlists can be created (and maybe I don't understand how they can be filled); - poor documentation for someone who is not familiar with all the technique that's used inside Daphile. Thanks for help and reading!

Did any of you peformed serious blind test and compared Daphile with foobar or some other Linux music server.. stop talking about speculation based on memories, only objective direct comparison..

That doesn't matter at all. Hearing is a very individual thing, unique to you and your ears only. What other people hear is not what you hear. Never. So you have to test this yourself.

That doesn't matter at all. Hearing is a very individual thing, unique to you and your ears only. What other people hear is not what you hear. Never. So you have to test this yourself.

Indeed. That is why subjective reports from other people are useless.

But even with just one person, often what you think you hear is not what you really hear (or, rather, the differences you hear is not caused by actual differences in the sound waves), so proper double blind listening is the only reliable measure.