Daphile - Audiophile Music Server & Player OS

I tried with another 24-bit UAC device and it seems Daphile doesn't tell SoX to dither, at least when outputting to 24 bits:

Code:
[Decode] -F flc-wav-daphile-* -m 5a-26-f3-d6-de-b5 -p daphile -f wav -
  Clock: 09:17:04.698
  Source: Proxied stream from Media Server
  Input format: FLAC, 44.1kHz, 16bits
  SoX effects: [gain -1]->[rate -vMn 96000]
  Output format: WAV (S24LE), 96kHz, 24bits

While SoX may enable dither automatically it doesn't appear it will in this particular case given the 24 bits output and 16 bits input:

Dithering
Dithering is a technique used to maximise the dynamic range of audio stored at a particular bit-depth. Any distortion introduced by quantisation is decorrelated by adding a small amount of white noise to the signal. In most cases, SoX can determine whether the selected processing requires dither and will add it during output formatting if appropriate.

Specifically, by default, SoX automatically adds TPDF dither when the output bit-depth is less than 24 and any of the following are true:
- bit-depth reduction has been specified explicitly using a command-line option
- the output file format supports only bit-depths lower than that of the input file format
- an effect has increased effective bit-depth within the internal processing chain

The bottom line I probably shouldn't bother, at least when using the 24-bit DAC through its 32-bit interface, as you guys suggested, thanks for setting me straight on this.

Now, I did find that Tidal sounded better (or at least different) through JRiver upsampled in real time with SoX into the same DAC with JRiver output set to 24 bits as compared to playing in Daphile upsampling using the same SoX parameters (VHQ, linear phase, sharp filter, Fs), but it wasn't a clean test as there were other variables at play. I will try to make 2 upsampled WAV files, one 24-bit with explicit dither and the other 32 bit without and see if I can hear any differences when playing both in Daphile sending to USB and SPDIF inputs of my DAC and A/B switching the inputs, I have already established the inputs sound pretty much the same or at least I can't detect any significant differences when playing the same file through both.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I want to convert all files to DSD 256 on the fly but it seems my PC Intel i5-4200 CPU 2.50GHZ with 16GB of RAM doesn' allows, is not enogh power?
TIA & kind regards
Felipe

I do not know your Cpu but my personal experience with i5-7400 has shown me not so big margin ( I was close to the edge in terms of cores load) playing DSD256 with clans7 filter. Unfortunately I cannot replicate the test since I sold the Cpu.

Hi guys,

is there someone who tried to play music using Daphile as server and Allo USBridge (squeezelite running) as player? I tested this config, it works, but I do not know how to change the player settings (DSD rates, filter type etc.) I have a DSD256 Dac but not able to change from the DSD64 sdm4 which is set as default as soon as I switch the system on.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Got the 2nd one up and running, much faster this time.

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_212733.jpg
    IMG_20180412_212733.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 253
I really like Daphile, so I bought an Intel NUC with 8GB RAM to replace my old SSD daphile-streamer that died recently.

It must have been passed many times, but the search-funtion on this board is not optimal..

How does the "play in ram" work? When I press the button it says "processing" but nothing happens. Neither with albums on my NAS, playlists or from Qobuz.

I really like Daphile, so I bought an Intel NUC with 8GB RAM to replace my old SSD daphile-streamer that died recently.

It must have been passed many times, but the search-funtion on this board is not optimal..

How does the "play in ram" work? When I press the button it says "processing" but nothing happens. Neither with albums on my NAS, playlists or from Qobuz.

What is the nuc cpu? The current playlist will commence playing running once all tracks are loaded to ram. Be patient. Initially select just one song for a faster response.

Last edited:
I play in FLAC en WAV only. The NUC has wired WIFI and a 2x 2.16 GHz processor; 8GB RAM. I use Daphile for a year now and I do not know how to select a file?
I can play a file, but not select? What's the difference?

Select and play are the same. The important thing is to have the track in the right hand pane. Play from ram (bottom right) when clicked will load (and transcode) all tracks in the right hand pane into ram and then commence playing. Have you set CPU power to max or dynamic and enabled hyper threading for access to 4 threads? Once working you can disable hyper threading and see if you notice any improvements in sound.

Select and play are the same. The important thing is to have the track in the right hand pane. Play from ram (bottom right) when clicked will load (and transcode) all tracks in the right hand pane into ram and then commence playing. Have you set CPU power to max or dynamic and enabled hyper threading for access to 4 threads? Once working you can disable hyper threading and see if you notice any improvements in sound.

Thank you.

There's no hyper thread technology available in the NUC. :( CPU is set on MAX now.

I created a play list with one song in the right pane and pressed "play in RAM". And it says "processing" for a sec.. and then nothing happens. I have waited for a 10 minutes. When I press play and then press Play in RAM, nothing happens either. The song just keeps playing. Or is it because my FLAC files are on a NAS?

Is it me? :confused:

Thank you.

There's no hyper thread technology available in the NUC. :( CPU is set on MAX now.

I created a play list with one song in the right pane and pressed "play in RAM". And it says "processing" for a sec.. and then nothing happens. I have waited for a 10 minutes. When I press play and then press Play in RAM, nothing happens either. The song just keeps playing. Or is it because my FLAC files are on a NAS?

Is it me? :confused:

Are you using the latest beta and what is the CPU model?