USB cable quality - Page 46 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2013, 03:37 PM   #451
diyAudio Member

Peufue, thank you for your comment, I am sure you are absolutely correct. Regardless the Sound Card DAC specification of 24 bits and S/N of some 140 dB, when you mix all the crap back into the analog stream what is the point.

I now only use the little USB adapter, which honestly cost me $0.99 on eBay and shipping was included. This is fed to a headphone amp and a pair of HD800 Sennheisers.

The only problem that I found was that the manufacturer could not fit decoupling caps on the output, thus it is not suitable to plug headphones into directly.

Peufeu your explanations are very clear and simple to follow and you seem very knowledgeable on the subject - thank you.

Last edited by Nico Ras; 24th December 2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:36 PM   #452
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peufeu View Post
Soundcard is inside the PC, which has a huge RF pollution, and is the worst place for analog circuits... USB adapter is outside, so it has the advantage.

But the most likely thing is that the soundcard feeds from the motherboard power bus, which will be modulated by the power supply demand of your harddisk, cpu, etc... all those power rails have DC to GHz noise in loads... feed that to opamps, they'll **** bricks... In the headphone jack of my laptop I can clearly hear the harddisk moving...
Honnestly, I don't buy it.

I've used quite a few internal soundcards (PCI and PCI-e) and never had an issue of the amplitude described by Nico Raes unless something is seriously wrong with either the soundcard, the motherboard or the power supply.

Integrated chipset used in laptop really cannot be used as a comparaison point.
Old 24th December 2013, 04:46 PM   #453
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

I've used some pretty decent PCI soundcards too, those had a floppy drive power supply connector, probably didn't use the power from the mainboard... not too much noise problems with those, i guess it's all about wether or not the soundcard designers did their job properly...

what soundcard is it nico ?
Old 24th December 2013, 05:14 PM   #454
diyAudio Member

So, you see the fact that USB seems to be a pretty primitive device as an advantage?

BTW I didn't mean ethernet over UTP, I was thinking about ethernet over Firewire.

I see both network and audio over Firewire completely outperforming USB. But you seem te believe USB is at an advantage because it is so primitive. Strange.

I understand a little bit more about USB now. But why are the majority of USB audio interfaces incapable of functioning off an external hub?
Old 24th December 2013, 07:01 PM   #455
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peufeu View Post
I've used some pretty decent PCI soundcards too, those had a floppy drive power supply connector, probably didn't use the power from the mainboard... not too much noise problems with those, i guess it's all about wether or not the soundcard designers did their job properly...

what soundcard is it nico ?
Creative X-Fi, I have written them about this and they blame the DELL. Obviously this is only on headphones and during quiet periods between tracks I had the problem with the on board chipsets and my reason for changing to stand alone. Obviously the problem is a thing of the past using a $1 solution.

My laptops don't seem to have this problem and I put it down to being battery powered.
Old 24th December 2013, 07:46 PM   #456
diyAudio Member

Peufeu, you have solved the problem. Since I did not care whether the card worked or not I cut the power connection from the bus connector, then soldered wires and now run the sound card from a 12V battery (since there was on board regulators).

Took me five minutes to make the simple modification. There is plenty of space and I will place a nice regulated analog supply in the case for running the sound card.

The Creative Sound Card is now dead quiet and sound performance is beyond expectation. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I am in your debt.
Old 24th December 2013, 11:18 PM   #457
00940 is offline 00940  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
Creative X-Fi, I have written them about this and they blame the DELL.
So would I. X-FI measurements in a properly working setup : Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD review - Testing Regimen - Right Mark Audio Analyzer

Still, it's good that you got it working properly.
Old 25th December 2013, 08:53 AM   #458
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico Ras View Post
The Creative Sound Card is now dead quiet and sound performance is beyond expectation
Nice ! Merry xmas then
Old 23rd April 2014, 05:36 AM   #459
diyAudio Member

Hi All,

Have been reading here & there in this thread and find the observations interesting. I might have missed it but did someone also try evaluating various computers' USB connections? I've tried my DAC on three different computers (different generations) and they all sounded quite different with the newest one being more open, nuanced and detailed.

I didn't use any (galvanic) isolation, though, and wonder if that would make a (much?) difference.

Anyone with good experience in this?

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:40 AM   #460
diyAudio Member

I have acquired an E-Mu 0202 USB.

It seems to need a bit of power. The USB port on the back of the computer always works. The one on the front makes it fail quite often. After checking, it runs through some rather high resistance wires to a header inside the tower PC box. The voltage drop on the tiny gauge wires is enough to disturb the soundcard.

I should try a powered hub...

Hide this!Advertise here!