Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2012, 09:55 PM   #11
phofman is online now phofman  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodturner-fran View Post
It might not be obvious why different drivers would affect the measurements but I wouldn't be a bit surprised. I certainly hear a difference using hiface and young drivers.....

Fran
And can you confirm the transfer was/is bit-perfect?
Old 7th January 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

No, none of my DACs have an indicator. However, I think if either M2Tech driver was not bit perfect it would have been reported by now.

Hey, this just what I have heard, and many here will rubbish that because I don't have measurements to back it up....

from a quick web search:

The M2Tech hiFace uses a proprietary driver to interact directly with a player in kernel streaming mode at a low level of CPU loading. It does so without any other drivers and allows for audio data to reach the peripheral easily and without any undesired changes to the data stream. That's the long way of saying that your computer will pass a bit-perfect 24/192 data stream without bogging down your machine or screwing with the sound.

Fran
Old 8th January 2012, 07:40 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
No, none of my DACs have an indicator.
I do not think there could be a bit-perfection indicator. The check requires recording the stream with another device equipped with SPDIF input, and comparing with the original.

Quote:
However, I think if either M2Tech driver was not bit perfect it would have been reported by now.
I don't know, very few people do this check.

Quote:
Hey, this just what I have heard, and many here will rubbish that because I don't have measurements to back it up....
Come on, this is not rubbishing, but the first question which comes to mind when a different sound is reported. The most likely explanation is the actual stream is different. Every analysis always starts with the most likely cause.

Quote:
The M2Tech hiFace uses a proprietary driver to interact directly with a player in kernel streaming mode at a low level of CPU loading. It does so without any other drivers and allows for audio data to reach the peripheral easily and without any undesired changes to the data stream. That's the long way of saying that your computer will pass a bit-perfect 24/192 data stream without bogging down your machine or screwing with the sound.
Honestly, this is just a general marketing speak. Every asio (or linux alsa) bit-perfect driver does that.

Last edited by phofman; 8th January 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 8th January 2012, 08:29 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Sorry now, don't mean to be prickly, just that I've seen so many threads go wrong: "If you can't measure it you're a fool and you must be crazy to be hearing a difference!!" To be honest I've much reduced the time I've spent here over the couple of months or so just because of this. Anyway, look rant over, don't mean to go so off topic.....

Anyway, back on topic.... nope, I don't have the facility to record via SPDIF, which is a pity as it would answer the question alright. Can the OP do it I wonder?

Take your point RE: the marketing speak - I searched for a few minutes and that was the first thing that came up that mentioned M2Tech and drivers being bit perfect. Might need to search harder, although surely someone out there has done this work already!

Fran
Old 9th January 2012, 08:45 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

OFC it is bit-perfect. It has been tested numerous times.
The latest reference I can remember is a detailed review in AVMentor, a greek website, with measurements and stuff (very good site btw, but it's going to be all greek to you!)...

Here is the page with the measurements: Click

You'll be able to understand the graphs, at the very least but Google Translate could help with the rest.
Old 9th January 2012, 09:02 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShaman View Post
OFC it is bit-perfect. It has been tested numerous times.
Both old and new differently sounding drivers?
Old 9th January 2012, 09:09 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phofman View Post
Both old and new differently sounding drivers?
I haven't heard any significant sound difference between the drivers, tbh, but I've only listened to it on my desktop setup.

The main difference is that with one driver set you play up to 24/192 while with the alternative drivers allow up to 32/384 through the USB.
Old 9th January 2012, 08:54 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

My files are 16/44
Old 10th January 2012, 06:24 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

As we don't know the internal operation of m2tech's proprietary platform, everything is possible. Drivers could affect jitter or other aspects of the performance that we are unaware of.

Hide this!Advertise here!