Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th December 2011, 06:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default The Bodzio Ultimate Equalizer

I am a bit fuzzy on the exact usage and application of this software (Ultimate Equalizer), so I have some questions I would like to get answers to so I can clarify if it does what I think (and hope) it does. Please note all my questions pertain to a stereo only implementation.

1. Is this a diagnostic only tool, or is it designed to become a permanent part of the audio chain?

2. If the latter in question 1, is it designed to replace the preamp in a system (with volume control. Currently I am using a HRT Streamer from the USB and it does NOT provide any volume control, so output is to a preamp)?

3. Is the software also designed to replace an active crossover if used?

4. If this becomes a permanent part of the audio chain, is the computer used going to be solely focused as the Equalizer, or can it serve as the music source also (I use Foobar and flac files as my sole music source)

5. If I use a speaker system with an existing crossover system, will the software just treat it as one driver and correct the measured frequency response and phase?

In short, what I hope this does, and the system I would design around it if it does, is have the computer serve as a combination music server/preamp/active crossover, with outputs I can direct to the 3 stereo amps running my woofers, tweeters and midranges allowing complete control of crossover points, level matching of components AND end frequency and phase response in my room.
Obviously the computer I would assemble would be of the latest tech and specific components needed, so no response needs to worry about “older” systems or their appropriateness for the task specified.

Anyone with experience with this software I would love to be illuminated!
Thanks.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:11 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

150$ ? for that price get minidsp
Old 9th December 2011, 08:23 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have looked at the minidsp. I does not provide the same phase correction at all as far as I can see. The only phase correction I have seen for it is "per driver" rather than "per frequency" or "per total system response". If that is not correct, please link me to the plugin that does complete phase correction.
Old 9th December 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

minidsp only allows per driver
Old 9th December 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

http://www.bodziosoftware.com.au/Square_Wave.pdf
This link, especially the chart on page 10, shows what I am talking about.
It would be really cool if you could load the phase and frequency corrections in a minidsp 2X8 (I did see that minidsp does do the frequency only corrections, but not at the same level of precision the UE does)! That would be perfect.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:22 PM   #6
Shaun is online now Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

I don't own The UE, but I do follow its development on The SoundEasy Userslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnjvn View Post
1. Is this a diagnostic only tool, or is it designed to become a permanent part of the audio chain?
It is a measurement tool, simulation tool and a DSP-based super-XO.

Quote:
2. If the latter in question 1, is it designed to replace the preamp in a system (with volume control. Currently I am using a HRT Streamer from the USB and it does NOT provide any volume control, so output is to a preamp)?
It can function both ways. Bohdan's* idea is to have a competely computer-based system, inevitably.

*Bohdan Raszinsky (sp) is the developer of this software

Quote:
3. Is the software also designed to replace an active crossover if used?
Yes (but more).

Quote:
4. If this becomes a permanent part of the audio chain, is the computer used going to be solely focused as the Equalizer, or can it serve as the music source also (I use Foobar and flac files as my sole music source)
As said above, the idea is to have a competely computer-based system. But it is not a media player per se (though it may have rudimentary ability to play audio files). So you may have to launch a media player program, as well as The UE.

Quote:
5. If I use a speaker system with an existing crossover system, will the software just treat it as one driver and correct the measured frequency response and phase?
It will, if you configure it that way.

The UE's operation is currently based on having two sound cards. The primary (Windows system) sound card will function as a normal audio output card (for, say, 5.1 HT). The output of this card is then fed to the input of another sound card, which is dedicated to work with the UE. The UE will then process these signals, and can be configured to work as a multi-channel, multi-way crossover. Example - using a card with 6 input channels and 16 output channels - is 5x3-way active crossover plus ".1" subwoofer, each with full DSP processing capability (time, phase, magnitude correction to flat or other preset voicings).

I believe what I state is correct, but again I am not a user of this software.

The Ultimate Equalizer (as with SoundEasy loudspeaker design software) is under constant development, so there is no fear of stagnation. Current development is looking at 24 bit/96kHz system; future systems up to 192kHz. More info here Bodzio Software. Tip: some of the papers there, as well the SoundEasy and UE user manuals, provide some good insights into good loudspeaker design practise.

The UE is much more than what the miniDSP offers (and miniDSP packs a punch!). To get in on where this software is going, join the discussion group (link above). Bohdan welcomes questions and suggestions for improvement.

Last edited by Shaun; 9th December 2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 9th December 2011, 11:30 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

@shaun

can you use it as a crossover for a external cd player ?
Old 10th December 2011, 12:53 AM   #8
Shaun is online now Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
can you use it as a crossover for a external cd player ?
Yes. The the PC does not necessarily have to be the media source.

BTW: Apparently, the 2x4 (i.e. original version) miniDSP's on-board processing power was not sufficient to support the functions of the UE (a collaboration was explored); a modern PC platform was determined to be the most cost-effective and readily-accessible platform for the UE.
Old 10th December 2011, 12:57 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks so much for your input Shaun. The time and effort are appreciated.
Old 10th December 2011, 01:14 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

but wont you need 2 high quality soundboards ?

Hide this!Advertise here!