The Bodzio Ultimate Equalizer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am a bit fuzzy on the exact usage and application of this software (Ultimate Equalizer), so I have some questions I would like to get answers to so I can clarify if it does what I think (and hope) it does. Please note all my questions pertain to a stereo only implementation.

1. Is this a diagnostic only tool, or is it designed to become a permanent part of the audio chain?

2. If the latter in question 1, is it designed to replace the preamp in a system (with volume control. Currently I am using a HRT Streamer from the USB and it does NOT provide any volume control, so output is to a preamp)?

3. Is the software also designed to replace an active crossover if used?

4. If this becomes a permanent part of the audio chain, is the computer used going to be solely focused as the Equalizer, or can it serve as the music source also (I use Foobar and flac files as my sole music source)

5. If I use a speaker system with an existing crossover system, will the software just treat it as one driver and correct the measured frequency response and phase?

In short, what I hope this does, and the system I would design around it if it does, is have the computer serve as a combination music server/preamp/active crossover, with outputs I can direct to the 3 stereo amps running my woofers, tweeters and midranges allowing complete control of crossover points, level matching of components AND end frequency and phase response in my room.
Obviously the computer I would assemble would be of the latest tech and specific components needed, so no response needs to worry about “older” systems or their appropriateness for the task specified.

Anyone with experience with this software I would love to be illuminated!
Thanks.

I have looked at the minidsp. I does not provide the same phase correction at all as far as I can see. The only phase correction I have seen for it is "per driver" rather than "per frequency" or "per total system response". If that is not correct, please link me to the plugin that does complete phase correction.

I don't own The UE, but I do follow its development on The SoundEasy Userslist.

1. Is this a diagnostic only tool, or is it designed to become a permanent part of the audio chain?

It is a measurement tool, simulation tool and a DSP-based super-XO.

2. If the latter in question 1, is it designed to replace the preamp in a system (with volume control. Currently I am using a HRT Streamer from the USB and it does NOT provide any volume control, so output is to a preamp)?

It can function both ways. Bohdan's* idea is to have a competely computer-based system, inevitably.

*Bohdan Raszinsky (sp) is the developer of this software

3. Is the software also designed to replace an active crossover if used?

Yes (but more).

4. If this becomes a permanent part of the audio chain, is the computer used going to be solely focused as the Equalizer, or can it serve as the music source also (I use Foobar and flac files as my sole music source)

As said above, the idea is to have a competely computer-based system. But it is not a media player per se (though it may have rudimentary ability to play audio files). So you may have to launch a media player program, as well as The UE.

5. If I use a speaker system with an existing crossover system, will the software just treat it as one driver and correct the measured frequency response and phase?

It will, if you configure it that way.

The UE's operation is currently based on having two sound cards. The primary (Windows system) sound card will function as a normal audio output card (for, say, 5.1 HT). The output of this card is then fed to the input of another sound card, which is dedicated to work with the UE. The UE will then process these signals, and can be configured to work as a multi-channel, multi-way crossover. Example - using a card with 6 input channels and 16 output channels - is 5x3-way active crossover plus ".1" subwoofer, each with full DSP processing capability (time, phase, magnitude correction to flat or other preset voicings).

I believe what I state is correct, but again I am not a user of this software.

The Ultimate Equalizer (as with SoundEasy loudspeaker design software) is under constant development, so there is no fear of stagnation. Current development is looking at 24 bit/96kHz system; future systems up to 192kHz. More info here Bodzio Software. Tip: some of the papers there, as well the SoundEasy and UE user manuals, provide some good insights into good loudspeaker design practise.

The UE is much more than what the miniDSP offers (and miniDSP packs a punch!). To get in on where this software is going, join the discussion group (link above). Bohdan welcomes questions and suggestions for improvement.

Last edited:
can you use it as a crossover for a external cd player ?

Yes. The the PC does not necessarily have to be the media source.

BTW: Apparently, the 2x4 (i.e. original version) miniDSP's on-board processing power was not sufficient to support the functions of the UE (a collaboration was explored); a modern PC platform was determined to be the most cost-effective and readily-accessible platform for the UE.

UE = 22K point digital equalizer S/W?

It looks like the main new tool in UE is equivalent to ~22K point 16b digital equalizer. If one already has FFT measurement data points for the individual drivers mounted in the cabinet+room, and can write attenuation equations for FIR filter crossovers, then using the x86 MMX functions for a fast 22K point equalizer calc would allow a DIY crossover with very flat response. Each speaker/amp would require just 22K/sec 16b sums.

Three cores * 2 Ghz * 8 MMX calculations/sec = EASY 3-way with single sound card

Has anyone written an x86 equalizer that uses MMX?

For me at least, the most interesting part is not the frequency response correction, but the phase correction. Many forms of frequency correction exist, and you can tailor crossovers to help.
Phase correction, however, is very limited, and as far as I know, it has never been possilbe to straight-line phase response like this.
It should provide a coherent and stable soundstage with a good recording, as well as excellent transient response across the whole audio spectrum.
I have yet, however, to find even one report of how a system sounds after being phase corrected with this. LOTS of tech talk, no listening reports.
I anxiously await!

If you use the PC as the media player, yes. But if, for instance, you are using a receiver or processor or even stereo preamp, you'd only need one sound card.
It depends on how one wants to use it. I've been using the UE v2 (previous release) exclusively for most of this year in my dipole system. Before that I used the original version built into SoundEasy v17 do audition passive designs before building them.

My setup with UE v2 (less demanding of the CPU I expect) is with an old, dedicated PC for crossover duty. I actually started with a P4 1.6G system with 512M RAM. I'm currently using a P4 2.5 headless as I found that I could even use that one with UltraVNC on my local network. A better video card (though headless) improved the response as a headless unit. It is a bit klunky that way, but once set up I leave the PC on. Another (old) PC acts as dedicated music server (also headless). A Roku music server feeds digital out to the digital in of the UE PC. On a new PC I don't see why it couldn't do both crossover and music server duty.

It doesn't necessarily require two high quality cards. You don't have to feed analog out to analog in, you can feed digital out to digital in, so the digital out doesn't necessarily have to be the quality of the analog out.

I do one thing differently than most others as well. I have an MSB MVC-1 8-channel preamp. The UE output feeds the input to the MVC, so I don't have to mess around with digital volume control in a PC. It also provides some protection for the tweeter.

In the end I have a remote (or my main PC with software for control) for my Roku music server and a remote for volume control.

Here's the measured response on-axis with the linear phase option set. I used 1/6 octave smoothed measurements to prevent linearizing every small detail on the single design axis. The high end rolloff is due to my measurement system only going to 24K. I only EQ up to 20K.

1m_T-Axis_48K_152ms_Read_0.0ms_Pulse_4.8ms_Foam_Dome.png

Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.