Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

... I found the PC sounded much better.

It all depends...

"THE PC" can mean a lot. ;) "THE TOUCH" can mean a lot either. ;) There are at least a hundred million variants.

And then you can add mobile iOS devices, Android devices, OSX systems, Linux systems, SD players, you-name-it and an endless number of SW players and setups to the list.

They'll all sound different.

And all that because there is no DAC resp. audio interface which gets the job done right.

Last edited:
On a harddisk. :D

Soundcheck, this is interesting. This might not be the proper place to discuss this, may be better to start a new thread. What I am interested to learn from you is how your set up the iPad to stream content from a hdd and control ( I assume that means no more remote control?). And instead of an iPad, is it possible to use an iPod touch instead of iPad? That would be lower cost.

Hi Boys,

Just a slightly of topic thing,--but i am stuck--! If I was to have an aperture cut to accommodate the squeezebox Touch display, what would be the dimensions required (I want to relocate a Logitech Squeexbox Touch in Modu/Hifi 2000 case but would have to give them the exact dimensions as where i live i just cant get it done locally....sorry to distract but i just can get an answer (I cant even order the squeezebox here in the UAE but if I can get the casework don’t that’s a start innit? :)

Thank you
Johnny

Soundcheck, this is interesting. This might not be the proper place to discuss this, may be better to start a new thread. What I am interested to learn from you is how your set up the iPad to stream content from a hdd and control ( I assume that means no more remote control?). And instead of an iPad, is it possible to use an iPod touch instead of iPad? That would be lower cost.

Just what I was thinking too! rather interesting stuff :)

Is it basically the ipeng add on, so one can listen to ones NAS music on the touch or ipad rather than use it just as a remote.
Instead of sound from touch/ipad into headphones (from NAS via ipeng), into the stereo in a good signal transfer way...

Cheers :)

Yep.

It's the iPeng add-on. You stream from your server.

You could also use the Pure i-20 dock for the iPod/iPhone/iPad.
You'll get SPDIF at 48khz max. (I ran my reclocker afterwards)
I tested it. It's actually quite nice. The advatange is that it also
loads your device.

The iPod/iPhone won't allow USB out. That's a limitation.

I think all this is also really a great way to recycle your outdated iDevices.

Cheers for the usb info about the ipod touch.

So, your using your ipadipeng usb into your audio gd to get digital coax out, instead of SBtouch (TT4.0 ;-)) digi coax out, and the audio gd set up sounds nicer :)

Interesting, can't quite get my head round why at the moment, but guessing the audio gd converts better than the SBtouch, simpler software running the stuff maybe... battery powered ipad...

Anyway, guess now the audio gd and ipad are fun to play with and give better results, the extra work of SBtouch and TT4 is out the window, :( , quite understandable though. I was guessing that the priority settings and the such like would have been included in TT4.0, and was rather looking forward to your nice easy to follow instructions as to what they do and how best to change them for what results. If TT4.0 does get close, count me in :)

Back to the ipad/pod thing, just a thought, would one be able to leave the ipeng add on ipad/pod, for example behind the sofa, like I have my SBtouch, not visible, and use another ipodtouch as a remote?

(recycle! maybe I'm a bit behind, just been given:eek: a Pentium D that is far superior to my existing pc :-o )

Cheers!
:)
DC

DC.

Don't get me wrong. I still use the Touch. I'm just playing around with alternatives.

My goal would be to use whatever source, hooking it up to the USB cable and ending up with the same sound quality.
The A-GD VI is not the perfect solution. Though it's acceptable at the momnet. I can switch from Touch to iPad without having a problem with it.

The current DI-VII seems to have driver issues and compatibilty issues - see Head-Fi.
A friend of mine didn't manage to make it work with the iPad and CCK+USB-HUB.
So. Better stay away from it for now.

If I look into the DIY market. I see the Wave-IO, plus as an option IANs reclocker as potentially best solution on the paper. (Please let me know if you see alternatives). That solution gets you easily into the 300$ area, which is IMO too much. It also gets too complex.

Solution:
Either Lucien builts a nice reclocker into his device or Ian offers an USB input for a little extra.. Or they team up to get rid of redundancies. ;) From what I heard Lucien is working on a VII of his Wave-IO module. VI is already quite nice. Still it responds to all improvements done on the transport. The XMOS alone will not solve the issues around transport originated distortions. Maybe VII gets a bit better in this area.

And... ...you can control the iPad-iPeng with iPod or Android or PC. That's the great thing about the Logitech server solution. It works on all devices.

Cheers

Maybe a bit OT but I also have a bunch of the older Duet version along with my Touch. Are they tweakable to any better then original? I guess its mostly about PS-adjustments there or do you have any recommendations on what to do on them config related?

best
Staffan

Yes they are tweakable. There's plenty of info on the net.

We gave up on Duet tweaking by the time the Touch arrived.
I still have two Duets in the workshop.

Hi guys.

The other day I mentioned the Rasberry PI.

Since Raspberry PI is not available, while looking for alternative solution I stepped over another very interesting device.

Hardkernel ODROID-X @ 129$.

It's a 4-core 1,4Ghz device with 1GB RAM. Even Ubuntu 12.04 is supposed to work.
It runs the same Samsung Exynoss Processor as you'll find in the Samsung S3.

I think it's very interesting, since more muscles mean that you can also manage your videos.

For best audio playback a reasonable big rambuffer is possible with 1GB RAM.

It would still be half the price of a new SB Touch.

Cheers