Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Asynch USB is superior sound quality when using EDO.
Larry

If life would be that easy. ;)

Wave-IO is a pretty well regarded async USB interface.
Audio-GD V2 is async too.

Tests were run with EDO and my TT50 on both of them.

But as I said. I'm sure that not very many people will experience well
implemented Toslinks+Toslink receiver chips.

Your point of view will be in line with many others peoples views and experiences (and USB DAC manufacturers) .

But that doesn't mean that this direction is the only direction.

I'm more than happy for now. I finally got rid of all those USB interfaces, just left with my Touch and the DDX.

Enjoy. I do - with best sound ever from least expensive equipment ever at my place.

Cheers

Last edited:
From a Newbie -

First of all, this is an amazing thread and I am exceedingly grateful to Mr. Soundcheck for his knowledge, creativity and extreme generosity.

Question - Am I correct to understand that the best hardware setup for the SBT is to have it hardwired to a computer that would act solely as a dedicated music server for the SBT?

I have an "extra" MacBookPro here and I could set it up in my listening room for just this purpose.

Right now I'm streaming music wirelessly to the SBT from my home-office MacPro, but it sounds like a dedicated server in the listening room will be a better option.

Thanks, again, to everyone who's contributed to this thread!

Think about converting it into a Vortexbox! A Logitech server is built in.
I have recently bought an Android Tablet and the Orange Squeeze app. to control my SW modded Touch [many thanks, Soundcheck]. This has made my Atom powered netbook redundant, so I have downloaded the free Vortexbox 2.1 iso file and burned a cd from it. I then loaded this Linux program and have converted the netbook into a combined server and an automatic cd ripper that links to the net and tags your flac files. The Touch and the Vortexbox are linked to a Netgear 5 way Switch via short Cat 6 cables and so talk to each other. My Netgear router has a 10 metre ethernet link to the Switch [upstairs to downstairs].
Early days yet but it all seems very good. So good that yesterday I installed a much larger hard drive. My desktop computer can be off. With the router on, my Android tablet controls the flac files on my Vortexbox being streamed by cable to the Touch.
Remember to apply Soundcheck's Server Based Decoding [1.6] and other settings to the Vortexbox Logitech Server.
Use the advance settings while loading the Vortexbox program or all your mac partitions will be lost.

Hi Klaus,

I'm running Toslink now.
What I did was tweaking the Toslink receiver and transmitter - by mainly
hooking up right to the plastic chassis some real good low ESR decoupling/buffer caps.

i never opened the SBT but i´m convinced that this point is an important one
to do. What kind of Cap and what capacitance did you use for decoupling?
Do you have any pictures of the tweaked toslink receiver?

One more Question: are there news on devices for the SBS? As i remember
your favorite system is Win7 ? On what kind of PC ? Will USB-harddisk work
fine?

Greetings Ulf

I'm using the new Legato II USB-S/PDIF converter from AR-T. I'm driving it via SBT+EDO.

It is a battery powered device, and it charges the SLA battery via an external charger when the USB bus is powered down or when the USB link is inactive. I found that when SBT powers down, it does not turn off the USB port. Is there a way to implement a feature in SBT Toolbox such that it powers down the USB port on SBT standby?

If you already have that MacBookPro (Display, player of your choice ...), why not just add a decent USB DAC and skip the Squeezebox ?

Thanks, George.

That's what I'm thinking, but as I'm new to the world of higher-end digital audio I have a lot to learn.

I guess I was wondering if there was anything to be gained by using the Squeezebox + DAC instead of the MBPro + DAC.

Thank you.

Hi Klaus,

i never opened the SBT but i´m convinced that this point is an important one
to do. What kind of Cap and what capacitance did you use for decoupling?
Do you have any pictures of the tweaked toslink receiver?

One more Question: are there news on devices for the SBS? As i remember
your favorite system is Win7 ? On what kind of PC ? Will USB-harddisk work
fine?

Greetings Ulf

I'm running a Linux server based on Ubuntu-server 12.04 in minimal config and a tailormade 3.4-rt kernel.

I use TT like Linux optimizations ( and some very special tweaks.)

I do also have a special professional 2-port IBM ethernet PCI-e card in place.
I use an MSI board - i5 processor and 8 GB RAM and a 128GB Crucial SSD.
PS is Seasonic X-series 400W fanless. HDDs are WD Green 1T5.

I use that server also for video streaming. Here I'm using Serviio as DLNA server, which works quite well with my Sony Bravia TV.

HDDs are Sata. Backup HDDs are USB.

If you start thinking about servers that also stream Video to your TV, you won't get around a bigger machine. Realtime transcoding requires quite
some horsepowers. Serviio is using all 4 processors to get HiREs down to your TV. -- You can end up with awesome Video quality if you do it right.
Forget Atoms forget NAS. You need a real server if you go streaming. Though I can tell you. That's nothing a beginner would be able to accomplish.

I wrote some scripts to change the server from "video" to "music" mode. For streaming music I can turn down the heating.

I tried J.River 17 on W7 in comparison. ( One partiton on my SSD is W7)

J. River as DLNA server delivers not more than DVD quality to your TV. Unacceptable. I wrote an article about it in the JRMC networking forum. Let see if they manage to improve that in JRMC 18.

Touch:

For decoupling I use OSCON SEPC or Blackgate NP > 220uf and a small 0,1uf. The Toslink connectors I fix with BlueTak like gum to avoid vibrations as much as possible.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi there Klaus,

reading all that: great job btw. nice system. But iß m not that kind of cable
guy that writes kernels on its own and can do special tweaks.

Is there a computer (small) based system you´d recommend to someone
with the lac of certain skills ? (I just need this server /computer for music
streaming and ripping digital music)

Thanks and Greetings

Hi there Klaus,

reading all that: great job btw. nice system. But iß m not that kind of cable
guy that writes kernels on its own and can do special tweaks.

Is there a computer (small) based system you´d recommend to someone
with the lac of certain skills ? (I just need this server /computer for music
streaming and ripping digital music)

Thanks and Greetings

I can't really make any HW recommendations. There are too many choices. I get lost by myself.

Minimum criterias are a system SSD (Samsung 64GB), 8GB RAM (DDR3).

The server should be as quiet as possible. - My server survives fanless with an i5 at low loads - audio streaming.

PS is Seasonic 400W fanless.

Again -- if you want to do videolike stuff - if not today then maybe in the near future - go for a bigger CPU right away.

I've chosen MSI as MBO because of it's long term reliability promisis and related quality choice of parts - caps in particular.

On the SW side try Windows 8 - Beta + Fidelizer + LMS 7.8.0 nightlys - that'll do.

If money is not the limiting factor, I'd even go for a 256GB SSD (fits 600-800 .flac CDs). You can split up your collection, if you got more CDs. I've seen 256 GB Samsungs for around 150€ over here.
That'll be my next run. Though 500GB would be the final word from my side. That'll get me enough space for the rest of my live. That's why I might gonna wait until next year.

My IBM pro ethernet card I bought used. You find tons of them used out there. I think I paid 10€-20€ or so.

Good luck.

Cheers

Last edited:
I'm using the new Legato II USB-S/PDIF converter from AR-T. I'm driving it via SBT+EDO.

It is a battery powered device, and it charges the SLA battery via an external charger when the USB bus is powered down or when the USB link is inactive. I found that when SBT powers down, it does not turn off the USB port. Is there a way to implement a feature in SBT Toolbox such that it powers down the USB port on SBT standby?

That's a typical ACPI task. To activate it would need certain kernel modifications - if the HW supports it at all.
You might check with Triode - the EDO - guy at Squeezebox forums. He is hacking the Touch kernel.

Cheers

Quick question Soundcheck,

Reading above, I'm thinking I've seen TT40 and TT50 mentioned, guessing they maybe a little specific to your own particular set up, do you think you may get TT40 out for the ones of us that have no idea how to adapt kernals and set up a cool sounding lunx server etc. ?

Many thanks,

By the way, really interesting reading and trying to follow what you have been up to, Thanks for that :)

Crackling sound with TT 3.0

Dear Soundcheck,

I'm a new SBT user, just install the TT3.0 together with the Enhanced digital output.

When TT3.0 installed with tt -i. the sound of the audio playing start crackling. resume to normal with tt -r.

The I follow another optimization blog to adjust the tt binary script and change the EDO buffer size.
SB Touch Optimisations

Run tt -i again, the crackling gone, but when I run tt -s, it show that the Kernel Modification was disabled. :confused:

How can I re-enable the kernel modification?

I really want the TT3.0. sound quality is much more better than the EDO itself even when it's crackling.

I know the SBT specifies 5VDC power, but will 6.6VDC from a LiFePo4 battery pack be too high and damage it?

If so, will it make sense to use a 5V reg (like 7805) after the batteries? Since ac mains noise is eliminated in this arrangement, any reason why not?

There's a DC/DC converter inside the Touch. That lifts the 5V further up ( to 9V if I recall it correctly). It'll depend on the specs of that converter if it
works.

Though I don't think it is a good idea to run on LiPoFe. The required capacity should be IMO 10Ah since the Touch draws quite some current.

I think a better idea would be to selectively apply those batteries inside.

Good point ulf, on using the LT1085 reg.

Soundcheck, good suggestions but not keen to hack my brand new unit for now...I'm presently using a simple linear 317 reg supply for my SBT and it works without a hitch. The 317 is spec'd to 1.5A max although the stock smps is rated 3A. Power meter check indicates 3-4W drain, so maybe 4 hrs running on 3000mAH LiFePo.

Last edited: