Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hi folks.

Just to let you know.

I will release TT3.0 on the 22nd of October.
You'll find a beta release on the Beta-Blog on the 20th.

TT30 comes with tons of new features and modifications.
It's much easier to install.
And it'll <<squeeze>> that tiny box out even further.

You'll love it. ;)

I'm sure that the price/performance ratio
of that Transport is the best out there.

I didn't manage to get USB-DACs going. I tried hard.
Logitech won't support us at all on the subject.
The modifcations as proposed by John Swenson won't work.
We still experience XRUNS on all kind of DACs. That's why I
leave it out for the time being.

Advise:
A good idea would be to get SBS 7.7.x installed beforehand.

Cheers

FWIW. I just "upgraded" to SBS 7.7 and my SPDIF output was screwed up. I was just getting hiss out of my DAC. Not happy. Currently reverting to 7.6.1 and hoping it goes back to normal....

This is the first time I've ever had any problems with the squeezebox.

Last edited:
Phew! SPDIF is working again. That was scary. I thought I had bricked it.

Does anyone know why SBS 7.7 caused SPDIF to output static noise?

I am using a TDA1541. But I never had problems playing 96khz files on it before?
I suspect 7.7 defaults SPDIF to 192khz sample rate? Its all I can think of.

Phew! SPDIF is working again. That was scary. I thought I had bricked it.

Does anyone know why SBS 7.7 caused SPDIF to output static noise?

I am using a TDA1541. But I never had problems playing 96khz files on it before?
I suspect 7.7 defaults SPDIF to 192khz sample rate? Its all I can think of.

Did you try doing a full system reload ( pushing black button on the back) - to remove the toolbox and its modifications properly - prior to installing 7.7 ?

192khz??? Can't follow that logic!?!?!

Did you try doing a full system reload ( pushing black button on the back) - to remove the toolbox and its modifications properly - prior to installing 7.7 ?

192khz??? Can't follow that logic!?!?!

No I did not do a reset before loading 7.7.
It was producing a sound (some music signal that was full of hiss) that was similar to a DAC that was receiving a higher bitrate that the DAC can play. I didn't mean to imply that this was actually the case.

No I did not do a reset before loading 7.7.
It was producing a sound (some music signal that was full of hiss) that was similar to a DAC that was receiving a higher bitrate that the DAC can play. I didn't mean to imply that this was actually the case.

In Squeezebox Server, go to settings and then the advanced tab. Under FLAC, there is a new conversion rule....AIFF. By default it is enabled and causes pink noise when trying to playback FLAC. It needs to be set to disabled. I don't use digital so i don't know if it affects it, but it does affect the analog.

god im definitely late on this thread.
i have the SBT and have a had drive plugged into the usb, what i would like to know is it better to have a NAS plugged in or is a basic HDD ok?
Also following soundchecks excellent blog, how do i modify the squeezebox server setup with regards to flac, do i enter the SBT IP address and go in trhough that. as server is currently installed on the HDD??
cheers.

longmanjon:
If I understood you correctly, you are running your Touch w/ a HDD connected via the USB input. The version of SBS (tiny) you are using is actually onboard the Touch itself and while it works, is generally reckoned not to provide the best quality of playback.
A separate PC, (it needn't be the the latest and greatest) w/ SBS installed and your music drive attached, will be a big improvement. Connected via ethernet and also connect the Touch via ethernet (to your home network) and then the server setup instructions will start to make more sense.
Larry

Last edited:
Hello.

I know, that this may allready been discussed, but is there a possibillity to EQ the output of the Squeezebox Touch ?

I have been reading about the Brutefir, but it doesent seem to work on the Touch.

I am running the newest Squeezebox server.

Jesper.

You can run brutefir on the SBS server, a Linux server. There's a plugin available.

One little disadvantage is that you need to send flacs down to the client.

You can run brutefir on the SBS server, a Linux server. There's a plugin available.

One little disadvantage is that you need to send flacs down to the client.

Thanx Klaus...

I am running my server on a ubuntu super fast text -only server on some very old fan -less micro -itx card (800Mhz)

Till now, i newer did the encoding on the server, so if the Brutefir can work, i guess i have to try it out.

Jesper.

I bought the high-quality Ethernet cable that soundcheck recommends (about 7 Euros for 2 meters) and removed a bit of the shielding close to my Squeezebox as he recommends. No other solution (cheaper cable, fully shielded cable, another Ethernet switchbox in between) worked well. The differences are there; apologies to the laws of physics and engineering.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Any suggestions on how to do this?
@lake_eleven

Just apply Soundcheck's instructions in section 2.2 of soundcheck's - audio@vise: soundcheck's Squeezebox Touch Toolbox 2.0

"I'm currently running Draka UC900 S/FTP cable with Hirose Plugs TM31!!!
(TM31P-TM-88P,) they sell at a couple of $/€ over here in Europe. I paid 6-7€
for 1m.

Note: I did remove the shield of my cable ( it's an S/FTP) 2 inches away from the
connector to avoid a ground loop into the Touch. That puts at least one
leg of that patchcable on ground.

Advise: Watch out -- many of those cables come with e.g. Hirose TM21 instead
of TM31 plug! This can make the difference! "

...and it definitely works! I have gained great improvement in the mediums. For me it is one must have and most audible improvement.

Buy the cable and carefully remove the jacket and the metal shielding on 2 cm close to the connector (side of the Touch) without damaging the 8 wires inside. For a dummy like me it was almost like a peace of cake so you should be able to do the same.