Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications

Hi Klaus,
i checked the blog twice, but i can only find the hint of the diy supply from
John S. with clc prefiltering before lt1084.
But can´t find diy version of the filter after the regulator. Am i blind?

Greetings ulf

No. You're not blind. I'm talking about John's proposal.
That one is pretty much the same thing as the Sbooster filter -- if you
leave the regulator out.

No. You're not blind. I'm talking about John's proposal.
That one is pretty much the same thing as the Sbooster filter -- if you
leave the regulator out.

Hmmm, there´s one thing you should consider: the CLC before the reg
filteres the ripple. But every silicone-regulator produces some ripple by
itselves. So positioning clc after ST-Reg or lt1084 flattens that out.
And if you say that Sbooster after ST-Reg is better than without, one can´t
compensate that by putting CLC before the reg.
Or am i thinking wrong?

Greetings Ulf

Hmmm, there´s one thing you should consider: the CLC before the reg
filteres the ripple. But every silicone-regulator produces some ripple by
itselves. So positioning clc after ST-Reg or lt1084 flattens that out.
And if you say that Sbooster after ST-Reg is better than without, one can´t
compensate that by putting CLC before the reg.
Or am i thinking wrong?

Greetings Ulf

I'm running a battery supply as you might know. Ripple from one side is not an issue at least for me.
I connected either of those filters to the 5V line. Still the filters - John's and the SBooster - make a
difference.

You need also to consider that the filter is just a 2nd order lowpass.
It's not just filtering ripple. It's filtering all kind of HF crap on the supply
line.

To be honest. I havn't tried to put the filter into the 12V line instead. Perhaps it's worth a try.

Cheers

Last edited:
Yeahhhh,
that was easy job....so just did all those mods via toobox.
Sound is great, absolutely. Also changed the powersupplies
as mentioned.
There´s just one thing that makes me nervous.... and couldn´t
find an answer, even in the SB-forum, maybe you can help.
I bought some music-files via iTunes. My SBT can not read them.
Well they are m4p. Even if i´m telling the touch to recogniz my
music as iTunes-folder.....
Is there any possibility?

Greetings Ulf

Plugin to turn screen on/off

Hi Folks,

Anyone has an idea on how to make a plugin to turn screen on/off on the touch?

I am currently using SqueezeCommander for Android as remote with SBT screen turned off and it works very well, but my wife and children are not able to play music anymore when I am away.

Therefore I would like to be able to call a little shell script with the command "tt -s" from my remote or from the touch display to easily toggle screen on/off. By now, I am using ConnectBot from my phone to toggle screen mode but it is definitely not very handy.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who would benefit from such a feature.

Cheers

Hi Folks,

Anyone has an idea on how to make a plugin to turn screen on/off on the touch?

I am currently using SqueezeCommander for Android as remote with SBT screen turned off and it works very well, but my wife and children are not able to play music anymore when I am away.

Therefore I would like to be able to call a little shell script with the command "tt -s" from my remote or from the touch display to easily toggle screen on/off. By now, I am using ConnectBot from my phone to toggle screen mode but it is definitely not very handy.

Your help would be greatly appreciated and I am pretty sure I am not the only one who would benefit from such a feature.

Cheers

I've got this feature implemented in TT3.0.

I have taken plenty of notes along the way, but I want to get into soundquality and available options out there.

1) Touch w/Soundcheck's mods and what else money wise would get the device at a reference level?

2) Jkenny's Hiface device seems to make plenty of waves and now his DAC unit is out. Has anyone ever compared the SBT w/Soundcheck mods with the Jkenny MKIII (latest incarnation) device? If not, in theory, would or should the Jkenny MKIII unit be superior to a Souncheck modded SBT and if so, see above...what would it take money wise/mods wise to the SBT to be at the same or superior level as the Jkenny MKIII or even his latest DAC?

3) I noted some more recent posts discussing the cd platter as a device that offers superior sound to the soundcheck modded SBT (though both people also stated they did not remove the face, but one did have the face disconnected). Would a transport be superior to ANY digital streaming device? I know taking out 1000's of cds isn't exactly great, nor is the fact that the SBT or the JKenny devices offer more, as in wireless radio in the case of the SBT, or sound from the internet/watching movies/along with listening to quality rips via Jkenny's device.

I know there is no simple solution/answer and this is all a progressive type of scenario, but my .02 is the Hiface stock is junk, even compared to a cheapo DVD player's coax feed. Ok, not junk, but "clearly" inferior.

Oh...I just got a couple of SBT's to play around with:) But I would be interested to hear more about any such opinions on X vs. Y and also theoretically speaking, why Z should sound best.

Firstly, a big thanks to Soundcheck for all his fantastic work on the mods for the squeezebox touch! I have implemented his mods with great sonic improvements over the stock unit. :)

Secondly, I'm sorry if this has already been suggested before.

I think I am noticing a sonic improvement to the squeezebox touch on XP when I go to windows task manager and right click SQUEEZ~3.EXE and give it realtime priority.
I also give realtime priority to SqueezeTray.exe.

The improvement I am noticing is very subtle, but the music seems to flow better, perhaps sounds more relaxed. Perhaps smoother?

I wonder if anyone else can try this simple experiment to see if they notice any improvement?

Thanks

Firstly, a big thanks to Soundcheck for all his fantastic work on the mods for the squeezebox touch! I have implemented his mods with great sonic improvements over the stock unit. :)

Secondly, I'm sorry if this has already been suggested before.

I think I am noticing a sonic improvement to the squeezebox touch on XP when I go to windows task manager and right click SQUEEZ~3.EXE and give it realtime priority.
I also give realtime priority to SqueezeTray.exe.

The improvement I am noticing is very subtle, but the music seems to flow better, perhaps sounds more relaxed. Perhaps smoother?

I wonder if anyone else can try this simple experiment to see if they notice any improvement?

Thanks

At least I'm not aware that this has been suggested before. I'll give it a try.

As mentioned before. To me the whole networking configuration on the server side makes a huge difference. A stock Ubuntu sounds different than W7 or Ubuntu server. I'm pretty sure that an OSX or XP would sound slightly different too. ( I hope all of you Windows folks gave TCPOptimizer a try). All the people who run NAS based servers do have another problem of course. These devices are extremely inflexible ( and ususally not up2date). For those people I'd recommend to hook up a Windows based server temporarily to see how the NAS server performs in comparision.

I'm running a W7 server nowadays (I use that one also as HTPC with JRMC).
I do think that W7 as SB server delivers a better performance than most of the other non-tweaked server options I'd been running.

All this I find pretty annyoing to be honest. It shows again that running
computer/network based audio playback doesn't ever seem to get under control. As long as we have audio interfaces around which doesn't seem
to be able to cope with those little distortions, you never know if that's what you hear is the same you heard before the last update, HW change, configuration change, network cable change, router change..... One thing
you know for sure. It's not the end of the story.

If you'd like to tweak your Windows 7 server any further you might want to try Fidelizer.
Just leave the networking optimizations off when running it.
I use Fidelizer on my HTPC.

During the last couple of weeks my Squeezebox Touch ran cold. My priorities shifted from "Audio only" to "Multimedia" which calls for a good HTPC setup. My plan is to avoid having two boxes sitting in the living room. For that I had to switch to W7, which is providing me anything I need to run HD video material. One of the biggest shortcomings with
the new solution is the lack of a reasonable iPad application to control the stuff. I hope I get this solved sooner or later.

Anyhow. Just to let you know. By the end of September I'll launch TT3.0.
That's gonna be a big step forward compared to TT2.0. ;)

Cheers