Squeezebox Touch -- Modifications - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2011, 01:32 PM   #221
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baard View Post
Hello
Want too tweak my Touch, but it’s impossible for me to have a wired Ethernet. Can I use solutions ala “Netgear powerline AV200”?

Click the image to open in full size.
Yes.I am running Devolos on one of my systems. IMO still better then WLAN.
Old 10th January 2011, 03:21 PM   #222
Bimboy is offline Bimboy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hello,
people spend a lot of money on power conditioners in order to clean up the power supply to their hi-fi systems.
It would seem crazy to me to deliberately 'pollute' your mains with HF 'noise' by running your data through the mains. I think you could be eliminating the benefits gained from Soundcheck's Toolbox 2. (thanks again Soundcheck for sharing the results of your hard work).

I have the same problem, but I think the better way to solve it is with a second router at the Squeezebox Touch end, which will act as a wireless bridge to allow a ethernet connection from router to touch. I have found a cheap router that has bridging capability to my existing Linksys router running DD-WRT.
Cheers.
Old 10th January 2011, 03:43 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimboy View Post
I have the same problem, but I think the better way to solve it is with a second router at the Squeezebox Touch end, which will act as a wireless bridge to allow a ethernet connection from router to touch. I have found a cheap router that has bridging capability to my existing Linksys router running DD-WRT.
Cheers.
I'd 100% agree with you.

Though I'm personally running 100% on batteries (amp/dac/touch) I'm not really affected anymore with mains pollution.
Old 10th January 2011, 03:59 PM   #224
Baard is offline Baard  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimboy View Post
Hello,

Cheers.
Yes - that could also work and perhaps it is a better solution. I'm just trying to find alternatives to wired Ethernet ....
Old 10th January 2011, 04:00 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Hi Klaus,

Would like to thank you for your excellent work on software mods for the Touch.

Also would like for you to know of a secure shell client (SSH) for the Android platform that I have used with success with your mods... its called Connectbot and is available free at connectbot - Project Hosting on Google Code

Best to you in the new year.

Nick
Old 11th January 2011, 01:41 AM   #226
Lvtouch is offline Lvtouch  United States
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the 2.0 mods. I'll be using the donate button tonight.

Thanks for all your work. The status function is very convenient, as is the ability to save one's settings. And the error trapping helps too.

And the sound? Fantastic.

Regards.
Old 11th January 2011, 08:32 AM   #227
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baard View Post
Yes - that could also work and perhaps it is a better solution. I'm just trying to find alternatives to wired Ethernet ....
I'd recommend to try a wired temporary installation first to get a reference.
I had a free hanging cable running in the house for a couple of weeks.
(My wife was kind of disliking it. )

I do have the feeling that this bridging which also implies a kind of signal refreshing as well as my proposed D-Link hub ( incl improved PS) in front of the touch could do the trick.

Good to have more people on board to figure out all those network options. That's a jungle on its own.

BTW: Anybody around who's able to attach a "fad", clean, low R ground to the network.

One more comment to the cabling:
CAT6A (=<500MHZ) will come with better shielding and very important usually better plugs. ( NOTE: there is CAT6 stuff out there with lower case a. The official standard comes with an upper case A!!!)
CAT6 (=<250MHZ) is supposed to be used for multimedia networks etc.
CAT5 (=<100MHZ) is supposed to handle even GBIT Lan.

I've read an ethernet cable test a while ago which showed that some of those tested CAT5 cables where not even able to run 100MBIT/s.

@OMC: I think I havn't said that CAT6A sounds better then CAT5.
It'll for sure put you on the save side in terms of network stability if you go
for better stuff. Those better cables won't cost you an arm and a leg.
I just swapped all my old stuff out without thinking about it.

I'd still like to figure out why some people are able to run a 3600us
buffer and others 4000us. Network load conditions or server issues!?!?,
if we assume the Touch runs the same configuration.

The Pandora issue: Pandora streaming is causing extra load on the net and on the server first of all. So what's causing the need for a higher buffer
of a couple of us. We got several seconds of data stored on the Touch.
BTW what data format is Pandora stream? Could it be that it is converted to PCM on the Touch and not on the server - see convert.conf?

Cheers
Old 11th January 2011, 10:15 AM   #228
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

When talking about ethernet side what do you think about not using the router at all, by simply connecting SBT directly to the PC with a short 1m patch, to achieve the least problematic solution and to avoid router and its potentially noisy PSU ?
Old 11th January 2011, 10:25 AM   #229
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brgds View Post
When talking about ethernet side what do you think about not using the router at all, by simply connecting SBT directly to the PC with a short 1m patch, to achieve the least problematic solution and to avoid router and its potentially noisy PSU ?
Tried that.

I've been running my Thinkpad as SB, DHCP and WLAN server. Didn't work
out that well. And it caused a hell lot of work to get it all going. Just give it
a try, just configuring a DHCP server or working with static IPs shouldn't be a big deal. Let us know what you think.
Old 11th January 2011, 11:19 AM   #230
brgds is offline brgds  Poland
diyAudio Member

I run my system that way since few months already, and never had problems with setup, although I'm not PC literate, don't know things like DHCP or static IP's, just pluged and it played afai remember. Now I'll try with the router to compare.

Hide this!Advertise here!