Pc -> Dac, How ? - Page 5 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > PC Based

PC Based Computer music servers, crossovers, and equalization

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th December 2008, 09:43 PM   #41
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audioengr

You have probably only heard designs based on the PCM270X devices. I would agree about these. However, it is possible to get very close to async performance with the TAS1020 in Sync Adaptive mode.
Actually the TAS1020 also sits in the M-Audio Transit I have around here. Sounds indeed not bad at all.

However I donít know how it communicates through USB, it comes with his own drivers from M-Audio. It works full duplex only up to 24bits / 48 kHz and one way at 24bits / 96 kHz.
Old 26th December 2008, 01:08 AM   #42
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu

Yeah perhaps it should. Or not. Perhaps the title should have been "trolls versus people" ?
Given your troll-like opening post, that would be pretty apt.

Quote:

Considering the amount of trolling that happens here, you will, I hope, understand that I like to waste a minimum of time writing on this forum.
Then stop trolling and get to the point.
Old 26th December 2008, 03:50 AM   #43
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Default Re: Where to find FLAC files

Quote:
Originally posted by Eric Juaneda

Where could you find FLAC downloads or other high quality audio files?

Linn Record and ...?

Well, there is HDtracks but that's US-only so far. Anyone know if a suitable proxy with a US IP address allows us to get around this...?

R
Old 26th December 2008, 08:15 AM   #44
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

HD (24 bits, high sample rates) starts to be available, (there is magnatune.com, musicgiants that I know of), and others start to offer 16-44 FLAC at decent prices too... we're at the beginning of this.
Old 26th December 2008, 09:41 AM   #45
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:

Actually I wanted to post more explanations later but this was cancelled due to too much trolling.
Don't let the b*st*rds grind you down! Your contributions here have re-ignited my enthusiasm for digital audio done right, so good on ya!

Quote:

Considering the amount of trolling that happens here, you will, I hope, understand that I like to waste a minimum of time writing on this forum.

You could have asked instead of being insulting.
Ah, but asking is considered by an egotist as putting oneself in a position of weakness, so its ruled out.

Quote:

Want to join ?

The project will be opensourced as soon as it's ready, I think I'll put it on OpenCores. I would have liked an opensource USB soundcard with good quality, eq, crossover, custom oversampling etc. Since it doesn't exist, I'm building it. Those who want to help are invited
I'm keen - I'd like to build what you're proposing into a whole system - just a DAC (or even many DACs) isn't enough for me. Its too much of the old hifi paradigm (separate boxes for each function) which I'm keen to transcend...

Quote:

Thanks to abraxalito for reading my posts.
Thanks is to you too for posting up so much fascinating stuff! I hope you don't stop just because there are a few here with emotional issues they don't want to take to their therapist.

Quote:

Oh and by the way, don't think I'm pissed by the trolling. It's pretty funny actually.
I agree, for those with an eye for irony, its hilarious. Gives me a chance to hone my psychoanalytic skills too. Perceptual distortions though are what gives hifi its crazy trends, I'd not want to be without them, just for their sheer entertainment value.

R
Old 26th December 2008, 09:41 AM   #46
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audioengr

My motivation to do an async design is primarily market-driven and 24/192 capability driven, not performance-driven.

So let me try to get this clear... you're saying that high performance isn't really what the market wants?

R
Old 26th December 2008, 03:55 PM   #47
diyAudio Member

Right now I'm wondering wether to implement oversampling/crossover in the FPGA or with CUDA. Now that the new GPUs support double precision, it is so tempting... crossover in the FPGA would be IIR 'cause not enough memory.

Hey guys, make me a crazy wishlist, what would you like in a PC-based DAC ?
Old 26th December 2008, 04:36 PM   #48
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Right now I'm wondering wether to implement oversampling/crossover in the FPGA or with CUDA. Now that the new GPUs support double precision, it is so tempting... crossover in the FPGA would be IIR 'cause not enough memory.

Hey guys, make me a crazy wishlist, what would you like in a PC-based DAC ?
CUDA is good but it requires a powerful gpu, which requires a fan and is therefore noisy for an audio pc.

i'll stick with sse4 or anything supported by core 2 duos.

on top of my wishlist woudl be a lossless volume control...
Old 26th December 2008, 06:30 PM   #49
diyAudio Member

For the volume control I'd like to try some LDR a la "Lightspeed" controlled by the computer (ie the volume slider), so things like ReplayGain work. We'll see if it sounds better than digital volume control...

I've been looking around for GPUs and all the new ones which support double precision have huge fans. OK, so I'll put FIR in the FPGA then.
Old 26th December 2008, 08:42 PM   #50
DUC985 is offline DUC985  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default why so complicated ?

i can only agree to Russ, use COMP + CPLAY with XP follow CICs advise on how to setup the PC and buy a ESI Juli Soundcard which gives you I2S without soldering any SMD stuff and connect it to the twisted pears Sabre DAC.

You can even directly drop the Twisted Pears Dac with a 20 pin connector to the Juli.

This sounds better than most transport and DAC combos you can buy.
Just try it, it costs less than most players out there, you will be surprised.

just my two cents.

Hide this!Advertise here!