Pc -> Dac, How ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Cool thing they have there. Don know about tools though, but the heavy lifting is done if they provide drivers, and its free of NDA's .

The price is right as I told earlier, hehe, the question is , is bit perfect nature important at all? Hell, even noise shaping means "bit shaping", any audio processing chain is full of it. (Just to burst another marketing bubble :D )...
Good quality ASRC's can't be identified even after 15 "loops" , as double blind tests done by Benchmark (ad1896) shown.

Oh, and seems you should arrange a group buy.

Last edited:
Why would it be lifting bits?
The code is provided...
Linux driver will come, one day. At least I hope. It is a standard, after all.

If only I worked more on my DAC. It would have been ready today. And I would have implemented this solution in it. I'm getting late on technology, Sabre DAC is no more new, etc... Too bad, as I wanted to add the "pro audio products designer" to my "live sound engineer" job. Schematics, half drawn pcb etc... on my computer, for the dac and for some other stuff. Just waiting for me to take a week or two to finish it. Too bad.

Maybe next time. I should stop losing my time with women who don't deserve it >_<. (sorry for the out topic rant)

What happened to ESS is that people are puzzled by the NDA's and their marketing scheme. 32 bit stereo ADC, wow
Not that its old, its rather new, but people dont want to subscribe to Hyperstream™ (as it was some interstellar radio channel...) , despite the orbital heights of marketing, especially pro audio people are like, hey, I spent 1000 usd last time for this benchmark dac, now leave me alone for next 5years...

Some are the same people who were into things like NOS and still are . :p
You can't tell these people that here is the new king, its called 8bit 80mhz . :p

Maybe next time. I should stop losing my time with women who don't deserve it >_<. (sorry for the out topic rant)

Oh you French are all the same - can't leave those Belles alone :) (I don't blame you, some of the nicest looking women in the world, next to the Irish :))

Edit: I agree, the NDA is idiotic (not to mention the price!) & will eventually/ is currently killing their sales!

Last edited:
Ft2232h

I tested FT2232H (FTDI's 480Mbps device) 60MHz syncronous FIFO's speed.
55,603,200 Bytes file was sent in 4.094456sec = 13,589,123 Bytes/sec.
(at least. by 4096 Bytes packet)
192x24x16ch will require 16*3*192*1024 = 9,437,184 Bytes/sec.

So, by these components "maybe" you can output 192/24 I16S signal from PC.
(1. hardware, to buy) FT2232H module
(2. hardware, to buy and VHDL) FIFO to I2S distribution FPGA. example, Multi Channel I2S Output, to be modified to keep frame sync
(3. software) some program, read ASIO and write to this FIFO.
(4. package software) ASIO router like E-MU Patchmix

FPGA will have single central Clock, and should supply 192KHz sync Clock to EMU board and PatchMix.
(I'm working with other project so I cannot make it, about couple of months)

Attachments

• FT2232H.JPG
    FT2232H.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 410
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Strange, this whole thread without a mention of TG-Link (that I could find). Like it or don't like it, it is at least an attempt to do it right. Basically I2S on an RJ45 connector. Seems like it should at least come up for discussion. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

I know only one sound card that outputs the format (SndScape Cinema) but it's a decent card and doesn't cost a lot. Even has a nice BNC spdif output. Worth mention, I would think.

Strange, this whole thread without a mention of TG-Link (that I could find). Like it or don't like it, it is at least an attempt to do it right. Basically I2S on an RJ45 connector. Seems like it should at least come up for discussion. What are its strengths and weaknesses?

I know only one sound card that outputs the format (SndScape Cinema) but it's a decent card and doesn't cost a lot. Even has a nice BNC spdif output. Worth mention, I would think.

Thats odd because:

1. despite i2s, its only as good as the source.
2. i2s can't really be longer than half meter
3. how good is a source thats fed by computer psu (including its clock)
4. your only "win" is the glueless interface, therefore its cheap, but reclocking is still necessary, and short length is like shooting yourself into the foot

seems like some audiofolk pushed this http://www.cryo-parts.com/zhaolu.html, even convinced chinese that this the way it should be done , hah!
No. The way is async, or if you want something really cool , a firewire soundcard with wordclock / dummy wordclock over spdif. FW can sustain any load.

Last edited:
:) in good system ad1896 can be sonically detected very easy (ASRC-bypass)

Yes, but then you are also comparing 200ps jitter with 15ps . Also , the oversampling won't be the same either. You should compare with 88.2 / or 96khz source format. So , oversampling differences are rendered insignificant.

15 loops means theres no noticable degradation caused by the ASRC chip, as some journalists predict that the jitter / amplitude tradeoff is inevitably wrong.

That trade-off is already swamped by the noise shaper in the sigma delta chip , I beleive.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
1. despite i2s, its only as good as the source.
2. i2s can't really be longer than half meter

1: Quite true, of course. But just how "bad" is it? Perfect it is not, but nothing is.
2: For normal I2S, OK. But I was wondering if the "TG-Link" is buffered or level shifted or impedance matched or something for longer lines. I remember reading that somewhere, but could be wrong. There isn't a lot of info on it.

Don't get me wrong, I think async is great, just wondering about other ways of getting the clock there. I've spent 25 years running computer graphic signals over long lines. Clock (sync) issues become very obvious there. :eek:
There are many ways to deal with that, some good, some bad.

Yes, but then you are also comparing 200ps jitter with 15ps .
correctly do experiments I can, so if I say that this is so then it is so, jitter in both cases was the same as the rest.
You should compare with 88.2 / or 96khz source format
not intresting, nowadays intresting is only 16/44.1, with 96/192 deterioration in the sound will be less but will still be large enough (bad DF`s :-()

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.