F4 power amplifier

Hi.

I am currius if someone have a pcblayout, which fit for the R0 4/17/07 ? - There is some issue with the 'IN' connection etc... ?

Also i would be very pleased, if someone could explain how much 'preamp' it would take to drive the f4 in a full balanced dual-mono block (4 pcb's + 2 torrids 2x18v 500VA).
It's not that i did not read this thread, and the 'mate for f4' thread also, but there is so much talk about voltage-swing / db-gain etc... that i am a bit confused.

I had been listening to the f4 at Steenoe's placed (I also mentioned this earlier in this thread), and i am in no doubt, that this amplifier sounds very veery good, and that i really would like to build one myself. I through have a slight feeling, that i would have a problem with my speaker/preamp setup, which was discussed in the 'mate for f4 thread' too...

Well, i have not so much acknogledge about the db / voltage-sving things, so please be gentle, if someone would try to explain this to me ! :cannotbe:

Jesper

GRollins said:
You're assuming that the Antek is equivalent in quality. It's not, judging from what I've read. There's more to this than price.
Grey

Antek's transformers are from China -- I have used a half-dozen -- ergonomically they aren't the prettiest but they have really good regulation and are rated for continuous use. They are primarily used in CNC applications. If you want pretty use something else.

Nelson Pass :

I routinely use a Pass Labs X1 preamp, which has 14 dB of
gain and this works fine for me.

Thank's for helping me Nelson. I think i remember i once meassured my bosoz giving around 13db gain, but this is in a singleended setup only. I don't know about the voltage out in my bosoz, but 14v sounds normal to me i think.

Does the X1 deliver the db / voltage differently than my bosoz ?, and what is the difference (if any) between the X1 and X2 ?

Well i have some other issues with my bosoz. (Actually i think that my bosoz isen't cabable of driving my leachamp to the max.), And to be honestly i would really like to archive some more gain also, for the rest of my equipment. So maybe i should build another preamp before moving on with my f4-amplifier...

Jesper:xeye:

Nelson Pass said:
My experience is that an ideal source will have balanced lines,
each of which is capable of 14 volts clean output into the
47 Kohm load.

I routinely use a Pass Labs X1 preamp, which has 14 dB of
gain and this works fine for me.

:cool:

And what about an Aleph L (full active version)? Is it OK to drive a stereo F4?
Thx in advance
Manuel

Attachments

• al_kl.jpg
    al_kl.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,385