DIY Gene on eBay - Aleph 5 boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
just to add my .02 about these Chinese boards -

I had a friend who bought one from Ebay and wanted me to build it for him. It was a tube phono stage 'based on the Matisse' and using the components recommended it sounded pretty terrible. It had no bass at all compared to my op-amp circuit but yet suffered from woofer pumping and RF issues. After messing around it with awhile I tore out all the parts and used the PCB (with uh, modification) to build something else that worked out much better.

The PCB was very well made - but after that experience I would be leery of the engineering - not to mention the legality of it all.

Acording to google they used to be on http://www.liteaudio.com but that is now taken over by someone else. However i also found out that diyclub.biz is selling these LiteAudio "kits", look for ex. here: http://eshop.diyclub.biz/index.php?cPath=205_150_22_113

That is exactly the same "based on Aleph 5" board as DIYGene is selling. :mad:

I'll search some more about Liteaudio and report back.

/Kari

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
When Brian had boards available, they were for DIY only, non-profit, and with full tribute to Nelson.
-David [/B]

Oh, Boys!
kk-pcb.com (Croatia) ; Babbelfish ; BrianGT ; …..and many, many more around the world “steal” from good design’s every day. With each new DIY for yourself or “gb” you “steal” from designer and make profit for yourself. Dollar or more, what is different?

I find this very curious. Here we have 777, who has only recently joined. To date the only posts he has made are in two threads relating to the same eBay member, one here in Pass, the other in Solid State. As both threads having been dormant for quite some time (over a year in both cases), he seems to have gone looking for exactly those threads and no others. All with the express intent of boosting DIY Gene.
Hmmm...I confess that I'm wondering if there's an ulterior motive...

Grey

GRollins said:
I find this very curious. Here we have 777, who has only recently joined. To date the only posts he has made are in two threads relating to the same eBay member, one here in Pass, the other in Solid State. As both threads having been dormant for quite some time (over a year in both cases), he seems to have gone looking for exactly those threads and no others. All with the express intent of boosting DIY Gene.
Hmmm...I confess that I'm wondering if there's an ulterior motive...

Grey

You mean other than demonstrate his grasp of Smilies?

I remember when Apple put their first computer on the market. Everything, and I mean absolutely everything in the printed world suddenly sprouted thirty eye-confusing fonts on the same page, plus a bunch of frilly little cut-art things--all because the Mac made it easy and people lost all sense of taste and proportion. The trend continues to this day and is directly responsible for the profusion of emoticons we have here and elsewhere.
I can only speak for myself, but I prefer trying to express things using words. You know...those old-fashioned things that people used to actually read... I know it's a hopelessly outdated concept in the eyes of some, but the more I see the misuse of emoticons the more it makes sense to apply an extra moment's thought to choosing words. There aren't many members here who actually know how to express much using little pictoids anyway; there's a strong tendency towards an inverse relationship between the number of smilies and the semantic content of the post.
Ease of use does not equate to ease of communication.

Grey

IP Infringement

Here in the US, copying someones IP is both ilegal and considered a bad thing. Stealing, a crime, bad karma.
But in other areas of the globe, it is accepted. Kind of like having beer in the fridge in the Middle East, eating a nice Porterhouse in India, a slab of nice baby backs in Isreal, or a bacon wrapped filet in either place. Ilegal, a crime, bad karma. Here all four are things that we would like to have.
I know Nelson has stated how he sees the prople who buy boards from people like diy Gene. They are mostly not potential customers of Pass Labs. People who buy nice, new equipment usually do not source parts and build from kits.
I looked this weekend, and did not see any Aleph boards listed. Hope they have dropped them from the catalog. There are still many options for Rowland and others. In fact lots of stuff.
Wish he would drop all the knock-off gear and stick to reselling some of the real nice equipment available only in China. I have to assume in his mind, the MBL, PASS, Rowland, Mac, and whoever the dacs are copied from are legit products.
I would never buy these boards, boards and parts, or complete kits. Hope he quits carrying these items due to lack of interest. This is the marketing pressure that will ultimately stop them from being sold.

George

Re: IP Infringement

Eric said:

Grey, I've always thought that your posts are both enlightening and entertaining!

(I paid him to say that...)
Honestly, I'm off my game. Way off. Since the birth of the boys 22 months ago yesterday, I've been behindeder than ever. Now, as of this past Friday, my daughter entered kindergarten, which has reduced my daytime load somewhat. If I can just get the twins to take regular naps, I may get some writing done.
The thing about writing is that it's something you have to do semi-regularly or you lose the knack--hence my observation that I'm off my game. Jeez, it's been well nigh onto forever since I wrote and sold a story and my posts here don't read the way they should.
Gonna have to get out my training wheels and learn how to ride all over again.
Bummer.

Panelhead said:

I would never buy these boards, boards and parts, or complete kits. Hope he quits carrying these items due to lack of interest. This is the marketing pressure that will ultimately stop them from being sold.

It would be rather naive of me to think that we could control all the unfair and bad things that happen in the world. That said, it would be nice if we could influence a sufficient number of people that folks such as this Gene critter would feel the pinch.
Which in a roundabout way leads me back to my original post...is it possible that this guy might, just might, be getting a bit irritated at a loss of business? No way to tell from here.

Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.