Next Pass Shootout In Salt Lake City

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Compensation caps.

Well,

Its Friday, so I could not resist checking the Aleph jfet compensation caps tonight with my computer square wave generator. It was only able to use a 1Khz square wave not 10Khz.

After trying 5 through 10 pF, it looks like 10 pF was the best with out any ringing as Mark had shown previously. I tried 9 pF but there was a tad bit of ringing at 1Khz, so I guess the verdict is in for the jfet amp. 10 pF seems to be the best for no ringing on the square wave tests.

I did not have any oscillations while checking it and did not need the mpsa18 base to collector either with the .001 uF (1 nF) cap to stabilize the Aleph jfet, so I left it out.

I noticed touching the board caused extrenious noises, so perhaps that was the problem over at Mark's home.

I still need to check the AC current gain, but I think the jfet conversion is finished. I would like to try it one more time over at Mark's to see what he thinks along with Lyndon and then I could go ahead and write a pdf on what the end results were to build this conversion. :)

Mark may be out of town though, because I have not heard from him all week. He may be stuck in Wyoming again on a theatre install repair.

Bill

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nelson Pass said:

The cold DC figures for an Aleph are usually less than 500 mV.

I don't know about the J service manual - I haven't written in,
and I'm still shipping the product.

with delay circ for ldsp out in range of 1 minute,that's nice even for Lowthers :devilr:

regarding manual-just take your time;
children are already spoiled too much

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Compensation caps.

BillWW said:

I still need to check the AC current gain, but I think the jfet conversion is finished. I would like to try it one more time over at Mark's to see what he thinks along with Lyndon and then I could go ahead and write a pdf on what the end results were to build this conversion. :)

Bill

If you need any help that I can give, just buzz :clown:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

Attachments

• soon.jpg
    soon.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 240
Re: Re: Compensation caps.

choky said:

If you need any help that I can give, just buzz :clown:

Maybe, I will have you do my complete schematic layout of what I did. I then could incorporate that into my pdf and send it to you to post eventually.

I would still like Mark to check my bandwidth for higher frequency oscillations when he gets back, since my computer signal generator is bandwidth limited on doing a nice square wave.

Thanks again.

Bill

PS now it is time to just listen and burn the Aleph 3 jfet in for a while.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Compensation caps.

BillWW said:

PS now it is time to just listen and burn the Aleph 3 jfet in for a while.

yes!!!

Maybe, I will have you do my complete schematic layout of what I did. I then could incorporate that into my pdf and send it to you to post eventually.

attaching file is easy:
keep it under 100KB, allowed formats are :gif jpg png txt zip jpeg pdf

for pics is smart to keep it under 1000xsmaller pixels

when you write reply (or post) on bottom of the page is line "attach file" and "browse" button.........

simple,isn't it?

anyway,I'm here ;)

choky said:

hehe,I saw that allready;)
you didn't see quote to Bill's post ;)

anyway-I like those snakey cables
Want a set >?
I make them :)

konst said:
What is the sound like with surface mounts? better, worse, do they live up to the requirement?

To me the SMD stuff sounds WAY WAY WAY better. That is why i pushed so hard to get smd aleph's done. They just sound so cleaner faster and much much more detail.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.