Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Boards would be nice to have. Is there a bill of material available anywhere? Are the other boards with this for the power supply? To sum it up:
Is there anything anywhere that links an NS10 Schematic, Bill of Material, PS boards for NS10 and Power Supply boards on the same page?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
brutepuppy said:
Boards would be nice to have. Is there a bill of material available anywhere? Are the other boards with this for the power supply? To sum it up:
Is there anything anywhere that links an NS10 Schematic, Bill of Material, PS boards for NS10 and Power Supply boards on the same page?

Sounds like a nice builders manual!
Some of the fun of it, is searching through my immense Digikey and Mouser catalogs looking for parts.

I think once I have boards in hand, it's a bit easier to buy caps and whatnot knowing their spacing etc.

I am sure there will be new builders threads and bom's as people start to order parts for their NS-10's. - But if this road has been traveled already - please share!

:smash: Namaste'.

Re: Re: Re: NS-10 power transformer voltage???

R-K R�nningstad said:

Happy New Year Steen and everyone!
Steen, do you want me to measure the one in the NS10 I bought from from you last summer?

Rolv-Karsten

Happy new year R-K and everyone else:)
My notes says 24V AC on the secondary but if you want to make absolutely sure, you are welcome to check the voltage. Thanks a lot. Even better would be a picture of the Threshold NS10 and the Threshold A400 of yours. I cant think of a cooler and more legendary set of amps:cool: I am very happy that the NS10 has found a true Threshold loving home, driving its real mate the A400.

:)

Re: Re: NS-10 power transformer voltage???

steenoe said:

Yes, it is 24V on the secondary winding.

Steenoe:

Perhaps you know :) Will 10mm L x 5.8mm diameter diodes fit on the CLC board? I found a suitable part at Mouser for the inductor, 580-19R473C but I'm not sure how well it will mount on the board, ideally some other mounting holes would be added... if I used this, I'm not sure whether or not the capacitor positions would be blocked... either way, the 1120-470K-RC part at Digikey fits like a glove. Anyways, all I need to know is diameter and pitch for the 2 CLC capacitors and diameter and pitch for the first cap on the shuntregs (C4)?

Thanks!

I tried to measure on the populated boards, but it is a bit difficult to get a precise reading.
As far as I can judge, the diodes you mention should fit (barely) Not sure if the legs of those will pass through the holes, though.
The 47uH Murata inductors should fit pretty nicely. The datasheet says 10mm dia which is fine, but the Mouser-catalogue page says 12mm which is gonna be tight if you use the biggest lytic's possible for C1 and C101. I suppose the datasheet is correct. There are 2 sets of holes for the inductors, and the inner set is approx 6mm spacing.
Manu, could you post a boardlayout to scale? That would make it a lot easier to look for parts. Otherwise, I beleive that Tony has the precise Dia's and pin dist's.

steenoe,

In post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1632988#post1632988

You eliminated the RC network to power the B1 with the Toole regulator.

Did you eliminate the entire RC Network? R1,R2,R3,R4, C1,C2,C3 D1,D2 ?

Looks like you have 2 regulators. Actually two separate power supplies back to the transformer. Does this give better separation or better sound, compared to one regulator?

labjr said:
steenoe,

In post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1632988#post1632988

You eliminated the RC network to power the B1 with the Toole regulator.

Did you eliminate the entire RC Network? R1,R2,R3,R4, C1,C2,C3 D1,D2 ?

Looks like you have 2 regulators. Actually two separate power supplies back to the transformer. Does this give better separation or better sound, compared to one regulator?

You can only remove R1, C1, and C2. The rest of the parts works as a voltage divider to set the gate voltage at half the DC value of the supply. (R4 and D2 is just for power-on indication) I am not absolutely sure, if it is a good idea to remove C2, since it changes the time constant at powerup. I removed C1,C2 and R1 and kept C3, and it worked fine for me.

Yes, 2 seperate supplies is for getting maximum channel seperation. Since this is DIY, we can afford to go a bit overboard. It is not really needed though, the circuit is Class A and the crosstalk will be neglectible.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.