Threshold NS10 Lineamp PCB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what's new with your origigi NS10?
Not much.
DIY'ing is going pretty slowly right now with the summer upon us. So the NS10 will have to wait a little:) Dont worry I will get around to it:)
Tony, I hope the package arrive soon now. The postguy's must be working slowly too. Packages aross the Atlantic seems to take longer than normal right now.

Steen:)

Dear Steen and All,

I understand that different people and different amp. has its own sound.
It is hard to say which one is best.

Do you or any one have something like "Marantz 7" , X2 etc., to compare it and tell us the different.

The most interest thing I want to know is that the NS10 use such low voltage rail (24V).
Is this "State Of Art" still fix (adapt) the nowadays design, such as connect with high output CD player,heavy punch, fast response, etc.,

Of course no matter the result, I will spare time to try this project.
I just want to learn more in design point of view (low volyage supply)

Thanks !

Thomas

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
thomasfw said:
Dear Steen and All,

I understand that different people and different amp. has its own sound.
It is hard to say which one is best.

Do you or any one have something like "Marantz 7" , X2 etc., to compare it and tell us the different.

The most interest thing I want to know is that the NS10 use such low voltage rail (24V).
Is this "State Of Art" still fix (adapt) the nowadays design, such as connect with high output CD player,heavy punch, fast response, etc.,

Of course no matter the result, I will spare time to try this project.
I just want to learn more in design point of view (low volyage supply)

Thanks !

Thomas

you'll be surprised to know (if not already ) how minuscule differences can be between decent tube and decent SS design;
good gadget is good,no matter what sort is.
I don't own Marantz 7 or X2 (??!?) but I have enough xperience with that level of amplification (AR,VTL...) and with all sort of high quality DIY gadgets,so I presume that I know what I'm talkin'' :clown:
also -I'm primary tube guy,so this trip in SS world is more like little exercise ,but interesting one- I choose really interesting SS specimens for analyzing and maybe even making.....NS10 is certainly one.
hmmmm,in other words-perfect example of work work work and necessary click between constructor's ears :devilr:

that last part is what attracts me ,like honey bee on honey ;)

With the summer comming to an end, DIY is once again interesting;) I thought that I would keep this thread going when refurbishing my Threshold NS10 preamp;) Hope its OK with Apassgear? Here is a few pic's of it, its in an amazingly good condition, considering the age. The former owner is an old friend of mine and I know that he really cares about his things! He also has a Threshold Stasis 2, but doesnt want to part with it.
More to follow;)

Steen:cool:

Attachments

• ns10_front.jpg
    ns10_front.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 1,410
My plan so far is to change all the electrolytic's and the signalwiring. I have some Rifa's in mind together with some OFC silverplated and Teflon insulated wire. Furthermore I am gonna change all the RCA sockets with new quality ones.
What I really want to know is, if I should replace the Tantalums?
As you can see on the pics, the preamp is full of them. Normally they are not too well regarded, but I know that the leakage is very low. Should I change them or should I not? If yes, with what?
Comments are more than welcome.

Hi Steen,

Yes, I would most definitely replace the tantalums with aluminums.

I noticed that the photo you labeled as the open riaa appears to be the associated MC head amp unit (the MC10 IIRC) - not the internal riaa circuit of the NS-10.

Enjoy.

Cheers,
Graeme

Hi Graeme. Thanks for the reply:) Yep i thought of changing the the Tantalums, but someone warned me about replacing them in a particular circuit because of their very low leakage. (as opposed to electrolytic's)
Yep, you'r right about the RIAA circuit, the box is a Moving coil preamp allright. Sorry about that mistake. Inside the preamp itself the 4 can's are 2 linestage's and 2 MM phonostages.
The box has several impedance matching input's.
Any suggestions of what should replace the Tantalum's?? My initial idea is Panasonic FC's. I have had good result's with those.
But I want only the best parts for the NS10!

Steen
:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ya happy (read-lucky and capable) bztrd!

I'm glad for ya

later this evening I'll try to give comment on few tech questions regarding tantalums.....

are you ready to make one reverse eng%^&* tour hrough NS to see where tantalums are located?
I guess tthat they are placed primary for local decoupling

btw-have you ESR meter?

Hi Steen,

I don't think there are any concerns regarding ESR or whatever here. If it was me I'd just replace all the tantalums. I discovered on my own in the '70's just how big a difference these make to the sound. In fact at first I didn't believe what my ears were telling me. I mean how could a reputedly better technology and a much more expensive part sound so much worse?

I typically use FC's or FM's. But there are also good parts from Nichicon and Rubycon. I'm sure lots of folks will chime in here.

Cheers,
Graeme

later this evening I'll try to give comment on few tech questions regarding tantalums.....
I don't think there are any concerns regarding ESR or whatever here.
Thanks again:)
That was what I thought indeed:) I hope that a replacement of the cap's will make the NS10 sound a bit brighter. The topend is a bit dull at this point. (Compared to my twisted BosoZ)
Ofcourse the supply caps are very old, so changing them to these caps will propably help a great deal: I couldnt link you to them, but its Rifa PEG 124's I have in mind:)

Steen:)

Found a link to the cap's I have in mind:_ (at least for the psu)
http://http://www.evoxrifa.com/electrolytic_cat/peg124.pdf

Sorry, seems like the link doesnt work. Try this one and click into sales and tech data- electrolytic caps-catalog, from then on its pretty easy, since the PEG124 are topping the list.
http://corporate.evoxrifa.com/
If this doesnt work, Google for Rifa:)

are you ready to make one reverse eng%^&* tour hrough NS to see where tantalums are located?
Yep, I am ready:) Those drop's are not so hard to spot. I guess?
btw-have you ESR meter?
I have a Fluke 87 V, I guess that would do??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.