Balanced SE All-JFET Line Aamplifier

I tried that a few days ago. Today I get the same message.
File not found.

Attachments

• Borbely index.jpg
    Borbely index.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 379
Joined 2012
Paid Member
BA-3 or what balanced line stage to drive F4 mono blocks to push Acorn ESLs?

My two F4 amps can each be configured as either balanced mono (up to 100w into 8 ohms) or unbalanced mono (up to 100w into 2 ohms).

If a line stage could deliver 26V rms balanced to each F4 amp, could they drive
the 86db ER Audio Acorn ESLs' Acorn Electrostatic Loudspeaker Kit well enough to realize their claimed 35 to 30Hz bass response in a 12 ft by 14 ft room?

Can the BA-3, Pumpkin preamp, or another Class A, zero overall feedback, all JFET dc coupled Nelson Pass design produce the 26v rms balanced output?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
yes

as long those preamps are made with same (or slightly higher) rail voltages as intended output, they'll drive F4-like (simply put - source follower stage) OS to clipping

for balanced OS , speaking of BA3 FE - you need BA3 Bal FE

btw. :Pumpkin: is constructed with +/-36V rails , so go figure what's voltage output capability ....... :devilr:

spks - 26Vrms is around 85W/8R ....... so still less than F4 balanced power

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
yes

as long those preamps are made with same (or slightly higher) rail voltages as intended output, they'll drive F4-like (simply put - source follower stage) OS to clipping

for balanced OS , speaking of BA3 FE - you need BA3 Bal FE

btw. :Pumpkin: is constructed with +/-36V rails , so go figure what's voltage output capability ....... :devilr:

spks - 26Vrms is around 85W/8R ....... so still less than F4 balanced power
I don't quite follow. What is "FE"?

And are you saying that a pair of F4 mono blocks, each driven with 26v, will have trouble or no trouble driving the 86db Acorn ESLs in a small room?

Joined 2012
Paid Member
Okay, so P= E2/R, (26v)2/8R = 84.5W. Yes, that should push the Acorns, just as well as the XA30.5 would, yes??

If so, there's still two problems. As shown on page 5 here http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_ba_3.pdf , the BA-3 FE no balanced differential input/output. Can it be re-configured as a fully balanced circuit from input to output?

However, even if yes, I don't have quite enough theoretical knowledge and zero time to build any such line stage. Would anyone here, or someone they know, be wiling and able to build such a balanced stereo line stage for me? If yes, could a wireless remote volume/mute be added?