Treshold Stasis S300 Vs Aleph 30 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2005, 06:28 AM   #1
AR2 is offline AR2  United States
Master Burner

Default Treshold Stasis S300 Vs Aleph 30

I am happy owner of Treshold S300. I compared it to my recently finished Aleph 30 and in my opinion Aleph is better. Highs are cleaner and more open. I am thinking to use Stasis case and to house inside Aleph.
I am just wondering if heatsinking should be enough for Aleph. The case and the heatsinks are masive and heatsinks are roughly 12" x 8" x 3" on both sides. I am afraid to gut everything out and to realise that it wouldn't work, so please share your opinion.
Thanks
AR2
Old 19th December 2005, 12:12 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If those fins are really ~3 inches deep I'm inclined to think that they will work fine. As a contigency plan you could always bolt additional sinks on the inside of there is room. I 'think' I have seen Nelson do that on his new firstwatt chassis' too....could be mistaken though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (18.2 KB, 1122 views)
Old 19th December 2005, 02:31 PM   #3
Master Burner

I like that idea a lot.
Stasis is built so well and there is a lots of room inside.
I just love these big amps, and the way how they are built. That monster will never stop working. I guarantee that few milleniums ahad people will be looking and listening Pass amps in order to learn about our civilisation.
Old 19th December 2005, 04:38 PM   #4
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AR2
I like that idea a lot.
Stasis is built so well and there is a lots of room inside.
I just love these big amps, and the way how they are built. That monster will never stop working. I guarantee that few milleniums ahad people will be looking and listening Pass amps in order to learn about our civilisation.
just use your Treshold ,say,for woofers or something

or sell it ,then use money for your project

I think that is almost sacrilege to dismantle it ;

hehe-just few thoughts-this is your amp.....
Old 19th December 2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Master Burner

I was thinking about it, but it is not powerfull enough for my woofers. I feel kind of same - keep it, but again it will be just sitting there. Case is so nice that I just canno't resist in using it. I am using my 2A3 aps for mids so it doesn't work there ether. It is easy to carefully remove stuff and to preserve which I am planning to do.
Sale is not an option.
Choky posetio sam tvoj web site i odusevio se opisom Iskrinih uredjaja. Ja sam takodje imao neko od tih pojacala pre dvadestetak godina.
Pozdrav
AR2
Old 19th December 2005, 09:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AR2
I was thinking about it, but it is not powerfull enough for my woofers. I feel kind of same - keep it, but again it will be just sitting there. Case is so nice that I just canno't resist in using it. I am using my 2A3 aps for mids so it doesn't work there ether. It is easy to carefully remove stuff and to preserve which I am planning to do.
Sale is not an option.
Choky posetio sam tvoj web site i odusevio se opisom Iskrinih uredjaja. Ja sam takodje imao neko od tih pojacala pre dvadestetak godina.
Pozdrav
AR2
hehe-then replace your woofers

I repair electronic gadgets for living,and doing this ,I just stashed enough decent or just nice apparatus to make at least one decent system for every room in few houses .....
but-I have not enough time to finish that ,just soo called,project -not to mention that I can't split my self in so many rooms

anyway-if your Treshold serves you more than well-just find some decent speaks and put it ,say,in bedroom or anywhere you can think...

who knows when you'll decide to use it more seriously....

tnx to kind words for my site's content

I'm glad that world is so small

kako bi mi ono rekli :"govori srpski (hrvatski ,bosanski-nije bitno koji)
da te ceo svet razume........"

you always have one (above anything else) -SMART solution -just send that old Treshold s*it to me for safe disposall .....

ps-I just checked your home page

nice ,too

now I can think few more places where you can use that Treshold properly

some things are just waste to sell

proper camera,for instance-even if we have more modern gadgets ,appropriate for this days use,I don't know nobody sane who will sell Laica or Olympus Pen or some simillar piece of jewellry.....

cheers-wherever you are
Old 23rd December 2005, 06:34 AM   #7
Master Burner

On Stasis, transistors are mounted on 1/2 inch aluminum that is attached to heatsink. Both surfaces are covered with some clear gel. Obviously this is used to improve heat trasfer. Does anyone knows what kind of gel is this? I haven't seen this kind of gel, just a white silicon grease.
Thanks
Ar2
Old 23rd December 2005, 09:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AR2
On Stasis, transistors are mounted on 1/2 inch aluminum that is attached to heatsink. Both surfaces are covered with some clear gel. Obviously this is used to improve heat trasfer. Does anyone knows what kind of gel is this? I haven't seen this kind of gel, just a white silicon grease.
Thanks
Ar2

I didn't see thermal grease in clear "collor" ;
it's always whitish or,recently, in silver .

but-I can say that I hear few old techs that they used vazeline in old days for same purpose.

only Master can answer that fer sure
Old 26th December 2005, 04:51 PM   #9
Master Burner

Default Staleph 305

Done!!!
I am done with with my Aleph 30. Acctually it is crossover between Aleph 30 and Aleph 5. My rail voltage is 30V which falls right between Aleph 30 and Aleph 5. Since it is housed in Stasis case I call it Staleph 305.
Stasis was simply bult on block of 1/2 inch aluminum, with another aluminum block over it that holds all electronics and connectors, as well as holds heat sinks. I kept everything intact by removing that block and replaced it with another 1/2 inch aluminum block. Than I installed my output stages on that. I replaced original PS with my Piltron transformers two 400VA; 2x22V each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c65t1778.jpg (86.8 KB, 920 views)
Old 26th December 2005, 05:05 PM   #10
Master Burner

Boards are Mini Aleph originaly designed by GRollins and made by Brian GT, parts are from JLeaman, and mosfets from Anthony - Colomb ( ), and Aleph and Stasis are designed by Mr. Nelson Pass. Thank you all - this is real collaborative project.
Here are PS boards - all together 12 x 22,000 uF - or 264,000 uF.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c65t1782.jpg (93.2 KB, 905 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!