Dax-bosoz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I finally finished my DAX-BOSOZ this week. It is a combination of Perpetual Technologies P1-A, P3-A with a X-BOSOZ output stage.
In the pic you can see the P1-A and P3-A on the right, the x-bosoz in the middle and the power supply for the P1/3-A on the left.
The power supply for the x-bosoz sits underneath the aluminium cover in the middle.

William

Attachments

• diykompleet.jpg
    diykompleet.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1,373
here´s the x-bosoz with current source. I´ve used Harris IRF610 for all positions bias at 40mA per fet.
Supply voltages are +40 and -22V unregulated.
The input filter is on a small board plugged into the main board and can be changed quite fast.

Attachments

• diyxbosoz.jpg
    diyxbosoz.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 1,151
the power supply for the x-bosoz is placed underneath an aluminium sheet and consist of a 60VA transformer (36V and 24V secondaries) some fast diodes. The caps are seperate for left and right channel with a CRCRC filter

Attachments

• diyvoeding.jpg
    diyvoeding.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,096
these are the P3-A (top) and P1-A (underneath a sheet of copper). They are attached to the back (the P1-A is isolated) and to a piece of plexiglas.
I put 4 new pushbuttons on the front for the various modes and used some fibreoptics to get the light from the leds to the faceplate.

Attachments

• diyp1ap3a.jpg
    diyp1ap3a.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 1,097
here a last pic of the front. On the right are the 4 pushbuttons and a row of 1mm holes for the fibre optics.
The front is 10mm aluminium, the sides and internals are 6mm and the bottom and top are 4mm aluminium.

With this one I now finally removed all opamps out of the signal path:)
It sounds quite a lot better than the (modified) P1-A /P3-A combination. Changes are the same as when I changed from my OPA627 based preamp to a x-bosoz. It sound more natural throughout the range, somehow much faster, better (less thumpy) and deeper bass. Room information is also improved. This way listening to CD´s is slowly becoming acceptable;)

William

Attachments

• diyfront.jpg
    diyfront.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,079
thanks for the nice comments!

Hugo,

the netfilter is only for the P1/3-A but is still not functioning as I would like. Something in the P3-A is causing my A5 to hum (mechanically) although both are on my balanced ac supply.

Will have to do something about this.

Here´s another pic of the little nobs. Drilling the 1mm holes wasn´t fun. I tried to drill through the complete 10mm faceplate but gave up after two drills broke (and got stuck). I then machined a 7mm deep slot in the back and put a piece of plexiglas in in to position the fibreoptics.

As always the mechanical part was a lot more work than the soldering:rolleyes:

William

Attachments

• diyknopjes.jpg
    diyknopjes.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 754
Hi,

after living for a while with the unregulated power supply for the x-bosoz output stage I finally managed to make a regulated one. It´s quite simple with just a few caps, zeners and IRF610/9619 like the standard bosoz.
The only thing I changed is that I doubled up the fets (just paralleled them) to have a sort of double mono configuration.
It works fine and puts out +44 and -23volts (the x-bosoz has a current source).

I wasn´t really expecting much of a difference soundwise but it turned out to be a worthwhile upgrade. Somehow the frequency extremes are a bit lifted and the sound is more clear (less romantic?). Placement of singers is also a bit better.

Here´s a picture.

William

Attachments

• voeding-dax.jpg
    voeding-dax.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 468
Nice

I really like that you did all this with hand soldering of components to perfboard. I am in the process of changing my hand made BOSOZ to a Kari-PCB based X-CCS-BOSOZ, and it just doesn't feel like DIY anymore with those nice looking pcbs.

I think after I deplete my supply of group buy boards for the next few projects, its going to be back to basics like what you have there.

Question- where are the big 10uf+++ output caps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.