What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
good for you

me - after years of playing , fallin' in all usual audiophool mine-holes , decent buffer combined with decent AVC is way to go

everything to avoid resistive attenuator ..... and I tried them all - TKD, P&G ,Alps = all conductive plastic , old Pro series Preh , wirewound from WW2, modern wirewound,Black Beaty , numerous stepped attenuators made with most expensive and cheapest parts ............ of them all - best bang for the buck is white-blue rotary Chinese one from EBay , made with smd resistors

that about attenuators ;

do you need gain stage - it's always best when you don't need it

however , one can be surprised , connecting decent buffer after pot ..... I believe that was also Pa's idea , when he brought B1 ( all iterations) to Greedy Boyz eye .......

Ok
After checking it is the second of ZenMods pictures that works. looking at the terminals this is the wiring. (for 2 : 1 gain)
Autoformer.jpg

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
zero specimen of Balanced AVC finished

thorough technical testing day after tomorrow

:clown:

(rotary switches stuck in Customs for two weeks already :bawling: )

got them ...... (switches) ...... finally , after 18 days in Custom

each will get proper treatment with vaseline

just inside :rofl:

Attachments

• WP_20170517_13_55_38_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170517_13_55_38_Pro.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 385
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
nice pic , custom bobbins , ABS plastic , 0.8mm thickness

better than original bobbins - too much slack , so waste in Rdc, coupling and space generally

also - with them can't squeeze two coils on core, for balanced AVC , without sacrifice in Rdc (thinner wire)

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
good enough :clown:

I didn't posted sweeps and squares simply .....from two reasons :

- Rout of generator is somewhat wimpier than needed , so will wait** for that measurements with my own gear , where Rout of gen is confirmed and trusted ;also probes (ultragigamegaexpensive) are having some incompatibility with calibration at used levels (my friend working in service center for veeeeery high freq. gear)
-sweeps are just compressed tests already shown on pics

anyway , this pic will say enough - you can see in upper traces that gene output is showing some sweat and tears , driving 10H per coil

whatever , thingie is , as always must be the case , optimized for my Diamond Buffer ....... and "even" Toshiba complementary JFet buffer is driving it with ease

so , to reach desired plateau of performance , I didn't go to make Swiss knife AVC , rather entire package - buffer in front of AVC , as pretty special Swiss knife

(and , as always , proof is in da pudding :) )

**edit - no need to wait - I already measured SE ones at my place and conducted thorough listening tests ...... as Bal AVC is "nothing more" than two SE coils on one core .... things are more than easy and logical to decipher

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 398
  • crazy.gif
    crazy.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 440
  • BSButton-650x835.jpg
    BSButton-650x835.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 393
Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
it is possible to conduct mono test : you can try running two buffers in parallel , feeding one Telefunken ( then feed both amplifier channels from it)

then disconnect one buffer , leaving just one to drive telefunken

if you have better bass with two in parallel , buffer Rout is issue and you need at least B1 V2. , meaning - complementary JFet buffer

that way you can go with proper dual polarity PSU , avoiding any cap in signal path