What's wrong with the kiss, boy?

Taking what you are doing with IRON PRE to an earlier part of the chain ...

I have been wondering just how much gain one can get from an autoformer between two complementary buffers. I will keep wondering until someone tells me since I have no idea. The question being how far can you go before it does work very well.

I am thinking (beware) of a phono stage using this idea. One would think the buffers would allow much easier use of an LR or LCR equalization. Thing an input tranformer, typical MC 1:32 (I use a very low output cartridge) into a buffer then an autoformer - 1:20 (?) another buffer then to the RIAA equalizer of whatever configuration then to another buffer - an autoformer (1:20) then to the final buffer.

Could there be anything good about this or is it hopeless?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
like anything in this world ....... too much of good thing is ...... simply no more good

as you already have some experience - with transformers , magic is there only if everything is in order - properly sized cojones to drive it , then appropriate amount of gain ( or whatever is primary - gain or impedance transfer etc)

that especially demands proper strategy - using xformers moderately , trying to exploit all benefits and gain none of drawbacks (each time you multiply amplitude , you're loosing bandwidth and linearity , not mentioning accumulation of phase issues - that's simple physics....... same applies to buffers - if you can skip one , that's certainly better than having it in chain

don't fall in any of well known critical categories (tube junkies , especially ...... and yes - I'm one of them , even if sort of closet one for last decade) , and insist on just one approach as best

choose what's best for exact location in chain , do not alter chain to include what you prefer from some romantical reasons

ok - 'nuff generalizations

decent SUT - decent gain stage with steady input impedance and not critical input capacitance .... with decent Rout

then , if needed something as buffer to properly shake LR(C) Eq net

then decent gain stage with steady input impedance and not critical input capacitance .... with decent Rout ........ and you're done

simple ............. but not so simple

I think I'm gonna put some Metglas cores in good use in some near period
dreaming about proper LR phono stage for last decade .....

well , as soon I close full circle with Iron Pumpkin(s) ;)

How well I know it is not so simple! But it never stops me from thinking I can find some short cut to good sound.

My motivation with that scheme was its simplicity in conception without any awareness of the pitfalls. I wanted a "free lunch" phono stage. I can make those buffers and anyone can wire them up the transformers ...

I would love to see/hear your take on a phono stage, ZM!

Take care,

Joined 2012
Paid Member
easy peasy

let's call them Iron Pre and Iron Pumpkin .

Iron Pre
is for DiyA Store :

relay selector - usual pot - JFet buffer - jensen output autoformer , one shunt reg on board (called Good Gemini)

goes in two flavors - SE and Bal ; in both iterations one Jensen per channel , difference being - connected as usual autoformer for SE , and as (SUSY , tnx to Papa) differential/balanced/whatever for Bal

SE is one stereo pcb

BAl is one mono pcb , so two needed for stereo

trambolinity:
on both you can toss ordinary pot (short adequate pads on pcb) and instead of Jensen - connect on his pads AVC** of your liking (maybe with ZM's help to decipher proper connection for you)

**(for SE iteration you can choose AVC of your liking , several of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

for Balanced iteration you need Balanced AVC , choose one of your liking , few of them on market , mine hopefully soon too )

mains xformer - secondary 36Vac CT 10VA is minimum , either one per channel of common for both

piccolo heatsinks on Good Gemini

now , Iron Pumpkin

relay selector - Diamond Buffer - AVC connected with gain (you choose tap - anything between 0db and 7.5db (let's just say that I'm declaring 7.5db less optimal vs. smaller ones)

shunt reg on board ,same as in Iron Pre

goes in two flavors - SE and Bal

both as mono pcbs , due to bloody number of parts in DB , comparing to elegant and simple JFet buffer

schematic and all habla would be published , but my pcbs stays in my domain

for SE iteration you can choose AVC of your liking , several of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

for Balanced iteration you need Balanced AVC , choose one of your liking , few of them on market , mine hopefully soon too

trambolinity:

you can connect ordinary pot in front of buffer (two pads strategically on pcb,cut trace between them) and wire Jensen (or any other brand of adequate) autoformer in place of AVC

mains xformer - secondary 48Vac CT (minimum 36Vac CT) , 10VA as minimum when using one per channel , double that when using one for both channels

not so piccolo heatsinks on Good Gemini

applies to both Irons :
for explanation of function of two additional relays on Bal pcb , read one of previous posts ...... #199

ZM, do I understand that I can also order ( in time) the super special AVC's and the PCB's from you, in order to build a balanced Iron Pumpkin?

How is this project going?
Will the store have PCB's for Iron Pre soon or do you expect it will take some months?

( desperate looking for a balanced preamp :D )

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
-small batch of Metglas cores - ordered ystrdy
-pcbs for Iron Pumpkin SE, Iron Pumpkin , Iron Turtle SE, Iron Turtle and switch pcb for them - ordered ystrdy

hope to have them all in few weeks time

will have zillion of relays and important semis in quantity in same time

so , pictures of finished monsters are near .......

as it seems - Store will be second with Iron Pre SE and Iron Pre

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I believe it'll certainly going to be a first time I would actually build something of my own construction (well , made in sort of series, not just one unique piece) for my self .......

name it - Babelfish J , Babelfish J2 ,Pumpkin , PSM LS ........ when I'm finished with actual "package" , something new is always more interesting than actually investing time in building it for my own use

so , I'm having two Koans , both dreamed by Mithrandir ... so I'm really not needing better or other amps in daily use ,while few (mostly no-gainers) "preamps" are all I need for my setups

but , this one (Iron P & T) .... I really never dreamed that one day I will make my own AVC based stage .... and it came by coincidence , playing with autoformers , making two custom preamps from start of the thread .....

funny - acquisition of all puzzles needed to slip in , was more tiring and troublesome than construction itself

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Balanced Pre...

ZM, do I understand that I can also order ( in time) the super special AVC's and the PCB's from you, in order to build a balanced Iron Pumpkin?

How is this project going?
Will the store have PCB's for Iron Pre soon or do you expect it will take some months?

( desperate looking for a balanced preamp :D )

I'm With Walter W, need a balanced Pre for Pass F4 Dual Mono. On quest, build all diy Pass Amps. More amps more Preamps. No end!!! H.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Preamp Balanced

for F4 bridged , you need either BA3 FE Bal , or Pumpkin , or SY's tube one

Iron Pumpkins are simply not made with that gain and amplitude as goal

neither Iron Pre(s) , hopefully soon available through Store

ZM; yes, building BA3 as preamp. 6L6 Build Thread. Your pre's will work with the other builds Pass can't seem to stop designing (for us). Maybe for 'new toyz for greedy boyz' he has planned to release in '6 months'. Have not found Pumpkin info as yet. Will continue search. Thanks, H.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
posts #331 ad #345

Turtle is AVC package , Iron Pumpkin is accompanying electronics (reg plus buffer) , together they're (again) Iron Pumpkin

one without suffix is balanced ,while one with SE suffix is ........ SE, what else :clown:

612615d1492768112-whats-wrong-kiss-boy-iron-turtleshr.jpg

to run the iron pumpkin with the optimal (lowest) attenuation, it would be nice to have the gain switchable on the frontplate. (party an normal:D) Since the Turtle will be directly behind the frontplate there wouldn´t be ecessivly long cables neccesary.

Does anyone have an insight if the switch (maybe classic switch with just 2 positions) should be “break-before-make” or “make-before-break” ones.

I guess it´s make -before -break and the former attenuation setting it´s than kind like bridged/shorted in the continuous autoformer winding?

stefan
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
logic is that Iron Turtle is near as possible to back plate , where outputs are

OK , sort of compromise , because you need Iron Pumpkin close to inputs , while you also need Iron Turtle close to outputs

however , purpose of these jumper fields is to set adequate gain for your system and to forget it , and I'm vary of routing these lines to any sort of front plate situated switch ...........maybe Elna or other really good quality rotary switch , placed near Turtle , with extending shaft from front plate ..........

however - I took great care of switching arrangement for Turtle , using Takamisawa goldies for all switching purposes , finding them better than most expensive rotary switches ; this jumper field is somewhat weaker point , but if someone is willing , after initial setting , one can even solder pins together instead of jump(er)ing them :rofl: .......... NB that manufacturers are using those even on MC level positions, so ZM really doesn't need to be too hysteric

OK , conclusion ...... I'm simply doubting that you'll need to change gain in daily use

and , if you really need that , 2 sections/5 positions quality rotary switch near Turtle is all you need
one section for Gain A group , second section for Gain B group , with 0,2,4,6,8db positions

logic is that Iron Turtle is near as possible to back plate , where outputs are

yes, you are right (of course :), i planned it diagonal to the power trannie and ended up in the front therefore. will change that.
and you´re wise also, i virtually used it a bit and did not found me fiddling too much in the gain settings. So i plan to use dip switches in the back and probably don´t use them in the end :D

tnx
st.