50w Single-Ended BAF2015 Schade Enabled

2picodumbs

in post #53-54 you recommended a 26v secondary, 500va Antek transformer.
Is the over voltage for a regulated supply where after the bridge the voltage would be 73v?
Yes for a regulated supply, it would be closer to 68V to 70V. It's possible you might get a little higher as the Antek transformers are 115V, so if you have 120V at your house you might have 72V.
500VA would be the absolute bare minimum per channel, 600VA to 800VA per channel would be better.
I still haven't decided which way I am going to go with the supply.
Probably start with a switch mode supply first just to confirm the circuit operates correctly, then build up a regulated supply after that.

Last edited:
I'm going linear. Today looked at pass transistor regulated supply schematics. I'm debating whether to go mosfet or bjt. Mosfet is sturdier, correct?

Try both.
The regulated supply I posted earlier is a decent "improvement" over the orginal but it still needs to be tested.

I had also thought about using a single IXTK140N20P in the supply instead of multiple devices.

Last edited:
Joined 2000
Paid Member
I watched the video again today and Nelson said that the CCS is set by the 100Ohm resistor in the CCS; that sets up 1.1v across the .2 Ohm drain resistors. Do I have that correct?

I don't understand how the CCS works. How could I lower the draw from 3.2A to 1.6A?

I'm trying to figure it out with known values, but not getting it.
Maybe I should look at the original Zen amp article? It doesn't use an opto-coupler.

Use some IRFP260s and get more power. They have a better (smaller) junction to case thermal resistance so they can dissipate more power. They're my go-to monster FET before I resort to anything exotic.

I still haven't found my monster IGBTs, but I found the original Ebay sale email, and I only got 3 of the pesky things, so I'm one short. On another note, I found a local source of the 500V version of Papa's Ixys monster, and I bought five (cheap, too). They'll get deployed sometime. They should be just as good as the 200V version for the uses discussed here so far....;)

Joined 2000
Paid Member
A single IRFP240 can handle 1.5A and 24v. It's 6x less than what it's spec'ed to do. I think it will be OK.

The long story is I don't want to re-task the 6w L'amp CCS SIT and F6 Jfet cases to build 50w mono blocks. I have a new (partially built) case waiting, so if I just take down the output requirement and dissipation, and try mosfets and the R100 jfet, it's a win-win. Then I can compare it to more amps. ;)
The case should be able to dissipate 100w per channel.

Was reading the Sweet Spot article last night. If the device is locked to a voltage or current setting, one could still adjust other factors to play around with the sweet spot. At least that's what I took from the article. Just need a distortion analyzer. Lots of stuff on ebay for cheap, but some only have .1% capability.

Attachments

• F6M_01.jpg
    F6M_01.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 719
  • 20160214_150225.jpg
    20160214_150225.jpg
    793 KB · Views: 652
Last edited: