Pass Patent 5,343,166

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is what I have in mind. All aspect from this design is from Mr.Pass's tutorial (I think he don't realize it)

First, the goal. I want to make amp, as simple as possible (minimal stages), with input stages that can handle big voltage (Mosfets here), low OL gain with high OL bandwith (passive folded cascode here-from SuSy), with this patent offcourse, sounds good, hopefully with efficiency.

The finals are mosfets (NP said for mosfets suitable for hot operation), cascoded 5V by bipolars, and around each final there is floating 7A current source.
The bias section (which I learn from "Smart Bias" patent) don' use VBE multiplier biasing scheme, but rather bias is determined by T1, and this T1 is put in heatsink for thermal compensation.

The finals are driven exactly the same way, for upper and lower section, both are Nch mosfets.

I know I break many NP's patent in this cct (how many that I break?)

There is still 2 question.
1. For the cascode device (here I draw bipolars) what is the most suitable? Mosfet also, or bipolars?
2. I wanted to exclude the final stage from the feedback loop. In ordinary design with VBE multiplier bias scheme, I can easily do that by taking feedback point from VAS.
But how to do it here?

Attachments

• dav1.jpg
    dav1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 659
Back OT on the heat tip...

I'm planning some wintertime amps--a pair of SOZ-lites built into torchier lamps. I soothe my conscience thusly:

I'll go home this evening and turn on two 300W halogen lamps to light my living room. Those watts will be welcome guests in my home, as it will be many degrees below freezing outside tonight. Every watt in my house that doesn't come from electricity must come from my none-too-efficient NG furnace. And, reviewing my gas bill and the rising price of NG, I notice that the savings to be had there is shrinking.

Ergo my plan for a healthy SOZ with a bank of halogen projector bulbs for resistors--light, heat, and music on a winter's eve. Now that's what I call efficient.

/Bill/ believes entropy happens--but it's the journey that's important, not the destination.

Perhaps OT to the main thread...

Bill F. said:
Every watt in my house that doesn't come from electricity must come from my none-too-efficient NG furnace.
Don't forget that typical thermal power station efficiency is about 40%, and by the time it goes through many transformers and miles of wires to get to you, the efficiency is down to about 30% or so. Even a lousy gas furnace can generally get 60% efficiency, really good ones over 90%. So if you only want heat, make it where you want to use it with NG. Or better still, have a co-generation setup where the waste heat from the generator engine warms the house while the electricity makes music.

lumanauw said:
The finals are mosfets (NP said for mosfets suitable for hot operation), cascoded 5V by bipolars, and around each final there is floating 7A current source.
The bias section (which I learn from "Smart Bias" patent) don' use VBE multiplier biasing scheme, but rather bias is determined by T1, and this T1 is put in heatsink for thermal compensation.
Did you end up building something along these lines?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.