New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not yet. I talked with Burson and they said the op-amp is very fast with a lot of bandwidth so they want me to add some 0.1uF MKP films across the supply rails at the op-amp. I'm going to try that tomorrow.
I would expect Burson to fit the supply rail decoupling in/on the PCB. Near or at the leads of the variable current consuming devices is the best location. We only use the power pins becasue we can't access the internal parts of an IC.

Okay, please post your findings..i have a set of Burson V5`s i planed on using..

No dice! I added some 0.12uF film caps across the 220uF op-amp PS caps and it did tame the noise a bit, it is still very noisy! At 1/4 volume the noise is audible whereas I need to get to about 1/2 volume on the LM4562 to begin to hear noise. Considering I only listen at about 1/3 volume ...

I didn't even care for the sound of the V5i compared to the LM4562. It sounded very dry and unemotional.

I put the LM4562 back in and am still a happy camper! Just bummed that the Burson didn't work as I had excellent luck with the V5's in a phono stage. I would still give the V5's a shot as they are a totally different beast than the V5i. The V5 is 100% discrete whereas the V5i is a hybrid op-amp + discrete design. I just didn't have the vertical room for the V5 or I would have gone that route to begin with.

Please keep us posted on the V5. Maybe I will consider a different chassis if it works out! :D

Attachments

• IMG_6889.jpg
    IMG_6889.jpg
    873.7 KB · Views: 979
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.