New PassDIY Headphone Amp (now available)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I'm 99.5% sure it's oscillating. Change in noise with movement of volume pot is the giveaway.

Try the feedback loop caps, see it it helps.

Other than that, enjoy with the LM4562

I got my Burson V5i today and it sounds TERRIBLE! Turn-on noise, turn-off noise, hum and noise with no source playing. The noise increases with volume until about 1/3 volume then levels off. The ODD thing is that the noise increases faster in the L vs R until 1/3 then L noise drops to match R until about 3/4 volume then R increases until full as I slowly turn the volume up and down.

To throw a wrench in it, the amp works FLAWLESSLY with NO noise using an LM4562 with a normal linear volume response as it is turned up and down. I have also tried an Analog Devices op-amp that also behaved fine.

FWIW, I did install the optional stabilization caps on the feedback loop.

... Am I oscillating? ...

I'm 99.5% sure it's oscillating. Change in noise with movement of volume pot is the giveaway.

Try the feedback loop caps, see it it helps.

Other than that, enjoy with the LM4562

I already have the feedback loop caps installed ... I'm assuming taking them out would not help. Is everyone that built one to date running the caps and the value in the schematic?

Thanks Wayne, I'm looking forward to it becoming available.

a noob question , will any 1N4004 Diode be preferable ?
I put that term in for my cart at Digi-key and lots of choices under that category .

Someone kindly created a BOM file many pages back here showing C 3,4,10, and 28, but entering the part number it is a 25 or 35 volt cap .
The pcb layout shows 50 volt for those caps

Joined 2002
Paid Member
thanks Wayne ,
any voltage preference for the diodes or is 50volts okay ?

thanks

4004 are just fine. Tried fancy diodes and the 4004 seem to give the best results balance wise but fairly subtle. on our power amps the high speed fast recovery work well but on small current draw good old 1N4004 with a snubber cap work very well.

The boards are supposed to arrive early next week. I ordered these myself so if anybody wants one just send me a PM.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.