BA-3 as preamp or rebuild B1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Reviving an old one - sorry :rolleyes:

I'm building a horn system aka high efficiency so I don't really think I need the extra gain from the BA3 pre. I'll probably end up throwing away loads of it after reading the article on gain structure. I'm using ACA builds to start with so have a whole 5w to play with :D.

I already have the B1 boards but the BA3 seems to trump it on sound. So is there a way to reduce the gain on a BA3 or will I have to reduce it along the chain? Is it even worth it? :h_ache:

I have high efficiency horns and both the BA3 and B1 and I can say you would be better building the BA3. The B1 will not work with a 1V computer input and most phono cartridges. It will work fine with a CD player or other source with more than 1V. Most agree they ditch the B1 after building the BA3. On most MP3 files using a computer there will be enough gain to be able to use the B1 but some files do not have enough with the B1 for me.

Antek Transformer hookup..blew fuse

Did this connection to check voltages across primaries (120V) and secondaries.
Fuse WAS a 1 amp fast Blow, It blew immediately. No loads on secondaries...I was checking for voltages, is this what went wrong --i.e., no loads.

I guess 1 amp fuse was sufficient. Thanks guys.

Attachments

• Transf ba3.jpg
    Transf ba3.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 191
Joined 2003
Paid Member
And if I'd like a different sound signature, if I understand correctly the BA-3 offers a more musical/warmer sound (adjustable with P3), than a B1. I find my system a bit "cold".

I would agree with that...more full, punchy, all that stuff. My B-1 doesn't shine in my systems unless using an amp with more than typical Firstwatt gain (15 dB or so ). It also seemed fine when driven by Pearl 2 Phono pre and 2 mV cartridge.

Russellc

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.