BA-3 as preamp or rebuild B1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
6L6,

Oh I didnt mean to use your B-1 power supply for BA-3 pre, just wondered if it would help over my notepad unit for my B-1. All I need is a box to put it in. I have extra Peter Daniels power supply boards, and some of Brian-GTs Aleph power supply boards that would be better for BA-3 Pre. Peter Daniels versions would likely be easier and more compact, and have places to mount regulators...

Last edited:
TNT Audio magazine ran a series of articles regarding regulated power supplies.
At the end of the article, they tested batteries as well. Some of the power regulators had less noise than batteries. I think the alkaline batteries had the least noise.

It's on page 4. Simple Voltage Regulators Part 1: Noise - [English]

I've had a Salas phono stage put together run off both batteries and the Salas shunt regs. Not really a fair comparison since the shunt supply is dual mono and the battery supply was single but the shunt supply is far superior. Better dynamics and a bigger soundstage. The batteries (alkalines) are a bit quieter but my only means of testing this is cranking up the volume all the way without dropping the needle. Ultimately I like to leave preamps on all the time to keep them warmed up...batteries are no good for that.

I've used both the lm317/337 regs and the Jung superreg with the Ba-3. Not a huge difference but I prefer the super reg. It seems more detailed and less veiled but the difference is not that great. With the Ba-3, F5 and 90db speakers I cannot hear anything at the listening position with the volume maxed out and no signal. If you put your ear up to the tweeter you can hear a slight noise but both the F5 and the BA-3 are super quiet.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
A local dealer was nice enough to let me barrow a preamp (Jolida Fusion) for a couple of days in place of the B1 The diffence was not subtle...better bass, fuller sound etc. Made me realize, at least for my system, I need a quality preamp.

I have had the exact setup you speak of - Pearl 2, B1, F5. Having an active gain stage in place of the B1 was a significant improvement.

The B1 is a quality preamp. Its what you make it. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly. :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
stepped attenuator for B1

Parts for the BA-3 FE have been trickling in. Anticipating Salas BIB boards and parts from the group buy.

So, I've got these Goldpoint 25K attenuators sitting on the table with no home, wait minute :bulb:...wire them in the B1 in place stock PEC pots for comparison. There is a difference, everything seems more clear and detailed. Can't wait to get them in the BA-3 preamp.

Also thinking about trying the B1 powered by batteries. How would I go about wiring that on the Passdiy boards.

Attachments

• DSCN8119.JPG
    DSCN8119.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 438
  • DSCN8120.JPG
    DSCN8120.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 431
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I did hook the B1 up with batteries and it does make a difference in the sound.

I wonder if Energizers would sound even better than the Ratshack batteries;)

I used duracells. 6L6 regulated supply worked better. BA-3 Pre makes it a non-issue by a large degree.:) I didnt care for B-1 with F-5. BA-3 is wonderful with my F-5! I can hardly wait to get the BA-3 Power Amp done, finishing touches only needed.

Russellc

Reviving an old one - sorry :rolleyes:

I'm building a horn system aka high efficiency so I don't really think I need the extra gain from the BA3 pre. I'll probably end up throwing away loads of it after reading the article on gain structure. I'm using ACA builds to start with so have a whole 5w to play with :D.

I already have the B1 boards but the BA3 seems to trump it on sound. So is there a way to reduce the gain on a BA3 or will I have to reduce it along the chain? Is it even worth it? :h_ache:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.