Aloha F5 v3 Monoblock build - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th August 2014, 06:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Aloha F5 v3 Monoblock build

It's been a little over a year since I built my Ekta Grande speakers and anything audio. Been busy building my car (Factory Five Racing 818). It's all but done so now it's time to build a pair of amplifiers. After the amplifiers I'll need probably need to build a better matching preamp.

My original plan was to buy some Class D completed boards from another DIY Audio vendor but my friend (who owns a HIFI store locally and sells some of the most known and exclusive products and brands) told my that if I really wanted to build my own I should really build a Class A amplifier, better if designed by Nelson Pass.

So about 3 weeks ago I started reading the forums and trying to see what was readily available and had the most community support. So I ordered and received a set of F5Turbov3 boards and v3 PSU boards from the DIY store.

I like to build stuff. I don't mind the learning and research. But after 3 weeks of reading virtually every post about the F5 I can tell I'll never learn enough to pick the correct components and little electrical design details. My ability is in actual execution. Through my paid work I have access to cnc's, both for wood and steel and the operators, paint booth, water jets, and mill shop, both wood and steel.

My actual planned chassis design will only use a few of these capabilities, will probably be a disappointment actually, having this kind of access, but will be a little more artistic.

I know I'm opening up myself to some criticism, but can I get a little advice and direction?

I will be building a pair of monoblocks, F5 Turbo V3. I want 100-130 WPC, so I'm assuming 48 v rails. I have been in touch with Toroidy for the transformers, 1,000va with 2-35v secondaries, each monoblock.

Heat sink USA has these serrated heatsinks with 1 1/2" long fins that I plan on lining each side of each monoblock, 5" high x 18 1/2" long. I also plan on a small fan, located in the rear, to push a little air through the chassis and the only exit would be a small gap between the chassis and the top of the heatsink on each side.

My boards arrived yesterday and I've started looking at what to buy. Power supply capacitors are my first item on the list. With a 35mm max diameter, and 8 per monoblock, I think I need to maximize each cap, Mundorf has M-Lytic AG Series Audio Grade 22,000 uF 63vdc. They are a little pricy, but is the value there? Is 176,000 uF each channel adequate? 15,000 uF caps are about a third less, but would they work?

I have not been able to find any monoblock builds that actually are shown completed and kind of match what I want to do to compare to.

All advice and info would be appreciated, planning on putting in the order with Toroidy in the next couple of days, so I don't want to start off with a mistake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (656.3 KB, 1233 views)
Audio Research VS-115 amp, DIY Hagerman Clarinet and Coronet 2 Linestage and Phonostage, DIY RAKK DAC Mark IV, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Player, Sansui SR-838 turntable, DIY Ekta Grande speakers, DIY pair active 12" ScanSpeak sub's, Transparent cables.
Old 15th August 2014, 10:26 AM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

it's always good to check with Apex Jr. for available caps
computer grade caps are great solution in most cases , especially if you get them for good price

I wouldn't go bellow 66mF per rail , preferably plain C filter , no CRC ........ but then xformer and bridges must be overkill (1KW is there , though )
Old 15th August 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

That 818 is going to need updates , especially if running stock running gear ..
Old 15th August 2014, 11:25 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Have you see this in your forum search?

F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Beautiful speakers. Very nice.

BTW- Apex Jr has 33kuF caps for around $5 each. You might have to call or email Steve to check for stock. They are approx. 1-1.5" in diameter and are 4-5" tall.
These caps have screw connections and require 1" clamps or might require them depending on your build style.
I acquired 16 of these for my F5T v2 build.

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 15th August 2014 at 11:46 AM. Reason: more info
Old 15th August 2014, 07:48 PM   #5
dazed2 is online now dazed2  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is size an issue?
with 130wpc you need lots of sinks or a powerful fan
Here is mine, I'm able to bias to 145W
Click the image to open in full size.

It has a ton of bass capability but there is also 1.1F of caps between the two monoblocks.
Click the image to open in full size.

I would go all the up to 50V rails, it give you a bit more leeway.
With the amount of power your going after you also need a soft start and a slow charge circuit to go with it.
Old 15th August 2014, 08:18 PM   #6
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Sweeet , Now thats how to build one .....
Old 15th August 2014, 10:37 PM   #7
BigE is online now BigE  Canada
diyAudio Member

Yes, that is a terrific amp.

That particular pair is certainly the best I have ever heard. Great job!
Old 16th August 2014, 02:39 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Mod View Post
it's always good to check with Apex Jr. for available caps
computer grade caps are great solution in most cases , especially if you get them for good price

I wouldn't go bellow 66mF per rail , preferably plain C filter , no CRC ........ but then xformer and bridges must be overkill (1KW is there , though )
ZM, thanks for commenting! So bridges to the PSU and break off the diode section? Is it not worth the money for the Mundorf caps?
Audio Research VS-115 amp, DIY Hagerman Clarinet and Coronet 2 Linestage and Phonostage, DIY RAKK DAC Mark IV, Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD Player, Sansui SR-838 turntable, DIY Ekta Grande speakers, DIY pair active 12" ScanSpeak sub's, Transparent cables.
Old 16th August 2014, 02:42 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
That 818 is going to need updates , especially if running stock running gear ..
I already added a water to air intercooler! And it doesn't look to shabby either
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (922.4 KB, 980 views)
Old 16th August 2014, 02:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Have you see this in your forum search?

F5Turbo Illustrated Build Guide

Beautiful speakers. Very nice.

BTW- Apex Jr has 33kuF caps for around $5 each. You might have to call or email Steve to check for stock. They are approx. 1-1.5" in diameter and are 4-5" tall.
These caps have screw connections and require 1" clamps or might require them depending on your build style.
I acquired 16 of these for my F5T v2 build.
I have read the entire thread, thanks!

Thanks for jumping in. I really want to keep the project clean and somewhat to the boards. So I would rather buy around how the boards are designed. Cost is always a variable, but not the priority. Any particular spec that you think I should be looking for?

Glad you like the speakers, a lot of time to get wood prepped to take an automotive quality paint job.

Last edited by Coasttocoast; 16th August 2014 at 02:49 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!