Decided on the Aleph 2, what psu should I build?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So, I have finally come to an conclusion, I´ll build the Aleph 2´s first, and then later i might try A-X or A-JX.

But, for now, I´m contemplating on what type of PSU to use with the two mono Aleph 2´s.

CLC, CRC, CCRCC, CCLCC or even a Regulated PSU?

I have ordered 48pcs of 33,000uf big can (Computer Grade) capacitors, so I do have a lot of C to play with, as I might even order another 48 capacitors...

So, If you had all this capacitance, what kind of PSU would you have built?

Each monoblock could have 24x33,000uf as I´ll have 48pcs atleast.

I am familiar with what CLC and CRC are, but PSUs aren´t my strong side (nothing in amp´s are my strong side but anyways..)

I was thinking of a Regulated PSU, what benefits will a regulated PSU have over a CLC "Pi" filter?

And what benefits do a "Pi" PSU have over a CRC/CCRCC/ PSU?

This might be a god place to post info or links to info regarding Class A Power supply´s as I haven´t seen so much info about Class A PSUs..

The info I find is mostly directed towards Class AB/B amps, and they aren´t my cup of tea, as I want the best possible, within reason, hence this thread..

Best Regards, Mathias

On my Aleph 2 i have to start, 1,000VA (1kVA) toroid with 37v secondaries.

Feeding CLC of 68,000uF - 2mH - 68,000uF. (per rail)

If you can't find a large wire wound 2mH inductors - i'd look into a CRC - as seen in the
First Watt offerings.

pretty simple, and better yet, works :)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Regulated PSU that large will make s much heat as the amp - use CRC or CLC.

I suggest CRC for simplicity and performance, and use 8-10 of your capacitors per rail. Physical size constraints of you chassis will likely dictate how many caps you can use.

Also remember that you will need some kind of softstart circuit so you don't trip your circuit breaker or blow large fuses at power-on.

whit a 1000VA ond THAT much capasistance. there is a real good chance of blowing the softstart too. been there, done that. i had too modify the softstart so it could handle 1000VA transformer and the cap bank of 6x68.000uF. the softstart resistors burned. and i had to use thermistors insted of resistors.

I use a Thermistor after the switch - as seen in the Aleph 2 schematic.

No problems with circuit breaker or fuses...

i wonder at what amount of capacitance inrush becomes a problem? :)

-------

just comparing the Aleph 2 to the Aleph 3 schematic - surprising to see the A3 and A2
use the same amount of capacitance... neither uses CLC or CRC.

Okey, thanks for the advices.

I'm going to use atleast 24pcs for the two monoblocks, that's 6 per rail, 198,000uf per rail. That seems to be some kind of middleway, as people seems to either use under 0,1f/rail or they go crazy and use up to 0,4f/rail. I have the possibility to go crazy with the
psu as i have loads of C, and I do have 15*0,386 c/w for my two monos, so I probably could go regulated, how would such a Regulated PSU look like? and what bemnefits will i get from going the regulated route?

moe, can you please share your alephs schematics? I have only the aleph 2 user manual, and would really like to get hold of the service manual and schematics.

Either pm me, or email me if you cqn, my email is: mkronsellen @gmail.com

It would make me happy, if you could share them wih me.

I forgot to mention that i have zero size constraints as i'm building the chassis myself, all aluminium. Just 6 of my sinks which will be placed 3 & 3 and form the sides of the chassis, wheight 26kg.. each sink measures 182w*300h*80d so the chassis will be around 550-600mm deep and 350-400mm height and the usual 19" width, something like that...

Hi,

Where can I find 2,2mH/2mH inductors today? I don´t know whee to search for them since i´m in EU.

I can order from USA, but still, where do i find them, today and not costing me 1,198$ as thats what i have found untill now.. That´s the same ammount of money my monoblock will end up costing, roughly..

I would like to go the regulated route, but I think I´ll go CLC for now, and later develop a regulated psu when I know more about reg. psu´s..

How much of a difference will CLC do against CRC? Is it worth it? I can build a CRC supply right now, parts easy to find, cheap etc... but will CLC reduce ripple noticable much more than CRC?

So, someone, help please?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Mathias,

CRC is certianly quiet, and works very, very well for that amplifier. I would suggest getting the diyAudi PSU board or something like it, and making the amplifier with the CRC first, making all the adjustments to the amp and making everything operational and quiet first.

If you want to try a regulated PSU, and with an Aleph will be quite beneficial as the PSRR of that circuit is lower than push-pull, it would be very interesting and worth the effort.

Check your PM. :)

If you want to build an regulated PSU later, than why not do it right now?

All you have to know for a regulator is in the Article ZEN Variations Part3

I had made one für my ACA, worked well but wasn`t so much power loss as in a A2. So things are much easyer and cheaper.

...all you need are much Transitors, a lot of heat sinks and you are on the way...:D

A2 power supply

I've had no problem using 1 KVA 37V secondaries with 4-33k 68V and using 102C rated caps to handle the chassis heat. CRC network works perfect with wonder cap bypassing. The inrush thermistor starts the amps very nicely with no failure 4 years strong. Mr Pass did all the work already. Stick with no more than 132K per PS. Reg supply could be more trouble than $$ and time. Regulated supplies source line components is one thing. Massive sinks run 50C within one hour idle.

Aleph 2 Schematics

moe, can you please share your alephs schematics? I have only the aleph 2 user manual, and would really like to get hold of the service manual and schematics.

Either pm me, or email me if you cqn, my email is: mkronsellen @gmail.com

It would make me happy, if you could share them wih me.

May be you could try the JFet updated version of Aleph 2 that I build with the great help of some forum members :worship: (have a look to http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/252230-help-wanted-jfet-front-end-aleph-2-a.html)

The changes are small, but the sound improvement was outstanding. :)

Attached you will find the A2J schema in jpg and pdf.

Regards,
Alejandro

Attachments

• A2-Jfet-Inp-A14.jpg
    A2-Jfet-Inp-A14.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 274
  • A2-Jfet-Inp-A14-schema.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 129
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.