Dad's away so I can play

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
DSIR9643.JPG Dad has almost given up on this DIY F5 build, he's the expert but I'd like to see what I can do with it.

He's scrimped on the PSU and has gone for a single PSU for the two amps. I've got no money so I'm just trying to see where the problem might be.

The PSU is a single 500VA transformer driving a CCRCCC PSU.

C1 is a 56000uF cap then all the following caps are 4700uF so the total C on each rail is some 79500uF.

There is small hum from the amplifier. What sort of ripple from the PSU would cause this?

Due to the PCB design it is very difficult to short the inputs to eliminate input pick-up but the input leads are unshielded twisted pair.

Attachments

• DSIR9637.JPG
    DSIR9637.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 754
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
View attachment 399977 There is small hum from the amplifier. What sort of ripple from the PSU would cause this?

If it is hum, like a pure 60 Hz, it's most often from some transformer or mains wiring getting too close to input circuitry.

If it would be a buzz with a rattling sort of character, that would be a ground loop, some parts of the circuit sharing some supply return wiring.

If it's hum try moving mains and transformer wiring around to see if it makes a difference.

Jan

The F5 has limited PSRR (hum rejection).

So, after shorting the inputs at the RCA jacks (don't do this any way other than with an RCA plug with a shorting wire, and with the amp OFF before you plug it in - even more so if you solder or try using a screwdriver or bit of wire to short) you'd want to measure the ripple (hum) at the OUTPUT of the amp - both channels, and compare the values. Also compare the values of the bias current. See if the channels have the same hum or if the one with more bias has more hum or not.

Next, measure the ripple (AC) on the + and the - rails. See if that figure compares to the output hum, same, equal or less?

Report back. :D

_-_-

PS. the fast, effective and cheap fix for PS ripple would be to throw a choke between the two cap banks.

OK, with shorting plugs on the RCA inputs it's virtually silent, so it's a 0V/Ground issue.

I know in all Dad's gear 0V and Mains Ground are not connected together, all have heavy star 0V configurations with the star centre being close to the main supply.

As I said earlier, the hum isn't too bad, it's just there in the background and is annoying. It is more of a "Buzz" than a hum.

Pas Mal.

Wondering what the effect might be, if any, of poorly matched input jfets (like a bogus J74 with a real K170), and mosfeters with rather different Vgs thresholds where a lot of offset has to be dialed in to get DC balance? So, does improved device matching and less offsets improve output noise?

Which, suggests a ground loop issue in the OP's system...
...and the actual ripple needs to be measured in the OP's system too.

_-_-

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
OK, with shorting plugs on the RCA inputs it's virtually silent, so it's a 0V/Ground issue.

Try shorting one input and connecting the other to the preamp. If there is
no noise, then likely the ground loop consists of the pair of input cables
themselves picking up the radiated noise from the transformer.

Rotating the transformer can often help that a lot. After that it is usually
an internal layout issue and you can start by connecting the grounds together
between the input connectors.

:cool:

Try shorting one input and connecting the other to the preamp. If there is
no noise, then likely the ground loop consists of the pair of input cables
themselves picking up the radiated noise from the transformer.

Rotating the transformer can often help that a lot. After that it is usually
an internal layout issue and you can start by connecting the grounds together
between the input connectors.

:cool:

Hi Nelson,

If I short either input, the other input is then silent with the entire input chain connected.

Even the "hiss" from the Impasse is gone with only one channel connected.

Please recall this is currently Arcam CD36 - B1 - Impasse - F5. I have noted comments about removing the B1 but haven't got around to fitting a volume control to the Impasse yet.

Ground loop.

Jan

I agree.

At no point is Mains Earth connected to 0V.

All parts of the chain have solid star 0V arrangements.

0V continuity is preserved through the audio chain by the shields of the RCA connectors.

Maybe I need to disconnect the 0V connections at the RCA inputs and connect 0V to Mains Earth so that 0V integrity is maintained by the Mains Earth.

Last edited:
Hi,

you can cut the ground on the PCB in way that input and feedback shares a ground, and connect this "Input ground" by a low value resistor to the power ground. Works fine at my Stereo Aleph-X, where there is virtually no GND at all, but I am not shure if it will work with a unbalanced amplifier. But I think its worth to try it out and maybe a better solution that cutting one ground (although its a recommendation by the boss :cool: )
In a first step it may work to connect the whole PCB - ground by a 2 Ohms Resistor to the power supply if the loudspeaker GND goes directly to the power supply.

Regards, Jean-Claude

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.