Please help with my F5 turbo wiring layout - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd July 2013, 12:59 PM   #1
Rixsta is offline Rixsta  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rixsta
Default Please help with my F5 turbo wiring layout

Hi, so Iv'e been working on the F5 turbo for a while I did have it running fine but with Hum, i went thru a few diferent Wiring layouts in the past and managed to get the hum very low but then added more capacitors so had to change layout again and the hum came back then one channel blew.

Finaly fixed that and was suggested i get Tea-Bag's PSU boards so did and here I am hoping some can look at my wiring layout to see if im going the right way.

None of the wires on the PSU are soldered yet, diodes not mounted im just trying to get an idea of the wiring layout before i proceeed, im sure im wrong so have posted here how its wired so far.

heres my layout on the Diyaudio boards
Ive wired EXACTLY like this, as u see the grounds are wired together. Which is what ive done...
F5 turbo.png

Layout 1 (all grounds going to the PSU board)
Im only using 1 diode board and 1 PSU for both channels (Shared PSU)
R1064662.JPG
Diode board
Green wires = AC in
DC from diode board to the PSU board (am i using the right end ? since i have only one diode board)

R1064659.JPG
Top view, Ignore the messy parts and difference between channels, im rewiring the right channel at the mo.
So here u see the other end of the PSU board power out + and - which will go to N and P channel boards, then off to the gain stage board.
Am i confusing things by now ? lol

P and N channels grounds connect to the gain stage boards then to the PSU

Alternative idea
R1064675.JPG
Note: the wires wont look like that im just showing my point of central ground point.

Left and right channels GND, transformer center tap , and ground from the ground loop protecting rectifier bridge. all meet at a Central ground point. THEN from there a single wire connects from there to the PSU board.

If this all sounds insane im going to have to tidy up and try to make things more obvious lol

Last edited by Rixsta; 22nd July 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 22nd July 2013, 01:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Hi Rixsta,

I kind of had the same question sometime back, but haven't actually built the thing yet. I drew up a diagram and some kind people answered my questions.

F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Post # 1900

Vince

ps, Have you tried 1 transfo, 2 bridges and 2 filter banks yet? This worked on my F5 when it hummed real loud. I had too many bridges (4) at first. AndrewT actually had a name for the problem. I can't remember what he called it.

V~

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 22nd July 2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: more info
Old 22nd July 2013, 03:51 PM   #3
12B4A is offline 12B4A  United States
diyAudio Member

Have you tried moving your audio stage grounds to the other end of the power supply board so that they are grounded at the last filter capacitor instead of at the diode bridge?
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
Hi Rixsta,

I kind of had the same question sometime back, but haven't actually built the thing yet. I drew up a diagram and some kind people answered my questions.

F5 Turbo Builders Thread

Post # 1900

Vince

ps, Have you tried 1 transfo, 2 bridges and 2 filter banks yet? This worked on my F5 when it hummed real loud. I had too many bridges (4) at first. AndrewT actually had a name for the problem. I can't remember what he called it.

V~
Hi thanks, yes tried that on my old PSU less hum but not quite there
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:18 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Have you tried moving your audio stage grounds to the other end of the power supply board so that they are grounded at the last filter capacitor instead of at the diode bridge?
Hi, thanks that sounds like a good idea, Iv'e not wired up this New PSU with tea bags PCB's yet but will soon, ill try putting the audio stage grounds to the other end.

Whats confusing here is the above diagram i Posted and this one are different ? will have a better look when i get home

F5T_Board_Wiring_Diagram.jpg
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Whats confusing here is the above diagram i Posted and this one are different ? will have a better look when i get home
Rixsta, please read the following post of the people who were helping me. There's some small bits of additional information.

Also, the output and input grounds can go to the power supply ground as a star ground. They are not shown in my diagram.
In other words, all signal grounds go to the same ground point.
At least that's what I was going to do, and that's what I've done in the past.

Vince

Last edited by vdi_nenna; 22nd July 2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:38 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Also, the output and input grounds can go to the power supply ground as a star ground. They are not shown in my diagram.
I should have been more clear about the above quote. The points being grounded are from the RCA grounds and speaker post grounds to the star ground point at the power supply.
Old 22nd July 2013, 06:47 PM   #8
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The Main Audio Ground should not be on the PSU. It can be close to the PSU, but I think it is better if it is close to the amplifier PCB/s
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The Main Audio Ground should not be on the PSU. It can be close to the PSU, but I think it is better if it is close to the amplifier PCB/s
Thanks ok maybee ill experiment with what works best with that, ill probably take the speaker/ input ground from the O/P boards or the gain stage boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdi_nenna View Post
If the link and ground are jumpered, can the ground pads on the O/P boards go to star ground?
I think ill do this have the O/P grounds go to star ground rather than to the gain boards.
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4A View Post
Cheers, makes sense ? i think there's some conflicting ideas here, i like this one tho lol

Hide this!Advertise here!